Author Topic: A Red and Irritated Scalp  (Read 16919 times)

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
A Red and Irritated Scalp
« on: October 22, 2007, 08:36:15 PM »
That's what I have been getting lately and I think that I have finally figured out what the problem is.  I just recently switched shaving gels to the Fusion "Cleasing" formula and I noticed that my scalp would look really red and irritated.  I think the same thing had been happening when I was using the St. Ives apricot scrub on a daily basis.  I finally ditched the daily cleaser and  had just been using water and my scalp cleared right up.  I also recall back when I still had hair, that I used to get red patches showing though my thinning hair.  Looking back, it was probably due to the cleanser in the shampoos I was using. 

Has anyone else experiened anything like this. It just seems that anytime that I use any sort of cleanser on my scalp it is going to get red an irritated.  When I use the sensitive formula shave gels, the problem doesn't seem to be nearly as bad.

<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: A Red and Irritated Scalp
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 08:47:38 PM »
slyinkc.....i had that problem with the st. ives apricot scrub that i used daily 4 my face & dome.  i think it was the "sandy-like" beads in the scrub that caused my scalp 2 get irritated.  since....i only use it 3 times a week....i have no problems. O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 09:16:28 PM »
Can't say that I've ever had the problem due to the shaving gel I was using, but I did have the problem with shampoos back in the day.  My scalp was always itchy in certain areas -- a problem that went away once I shaved it.

After I'd been shaving steadily for about two years, I suddenly started getting those bumps again and tried a number of things to get rid of them.  The only thing I found that worked was daily exfoliation.   Then once they cleared up, I could back of the exfoliant for a while.  I also notice that I get the bumps if I skip shaving for more than one day (a rare occurrence).  Some people like to skip days to give their scalp a rest, but I find that my scalp stays in better condition if I don't skip any days.

Offline nomad

• Sly Beach Bum!!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Conch Republic Bikinis
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 09:19:17 PM »
I only use the scrub every other day and I have no probs with irritation

I also started with the KOS shave gell and I'm sold

I used the can gels and head lube , they didn't work as well and I had more irritation with them. I was wondering if had something to do with the fact that my blades seemed to clog more with them and not rinse as well, with the KOS no more clogs

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 10:13:12 PM »
SlyInKC, I had this problem too when I was using the Nivea For Men range of facial cleanser on my scalp. Not only was the skin red and irritated but I also started to get bumps on the top of my dome and on the sides.

Upon no longer using the product, in about 1 week they went away.

I cant speak highly enough of Witch Hazel, it really does help keep the skin on the dome in great shape.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 10:34:43 PM »
I cant speak highly enough of Witch Hazel, it really does help keep the skin on the dome in great shape.
jesse....ever since u spoke highly of the tn dickenson witch hazel... it keeps my noggin' in tip/top shape. O0
slyinkc.....u might want 2 try tn dickenson witch hazel immediately after the cold water rinse & ice cube rub. O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 02:51:39 AM »
Using St. Ives every day can give you irritation.  I only use it 3 times a week at most.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 06:42:04 AM »
Thayer's Witch Hazel.

Offline WannaBePadre

• Look at all of this stuff!
  • Super Sly
  • The hairs of your head have been counted (Lk 12:7)
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 07:30:06 AM »
The first scrub I was using irritated my scalp ... HeadShed didn't cause the same irritation ... St. Ives seems to be doing OK daily for me ... for now.
Nothing says 'God loves you' more than a bald man in mirrored sunglasses.

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 07:56:52 AM »
jesse....ever since u spoke highly of the tn dickenson witch hazel... it keeps my noggin' in tip/top shape. O0
slyinkc.....u might want 2 try tn dickenson witch hazel immediately after the cold water rinse & ice cube rub. O0

WARHAWK O0

I actually have some witch hazel that i hadn't used in about a week or so.  I don't think it's the brand you mentioned, but I did notice that it helped.  I'll have to be more regular about using it to see if I notice a difference.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 08:00:28 AM »
I too use HeadShed on a daily basis and haven't noticed any adverse effects. It think it just depends on your skin type.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

X The Hierophant

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 08:04:43 AM »
Part of the problem may be two chemicals commonly put into shampoos, conditioners, gels, etc. called Sodium Laureth Sulphate and Sodium Laurel Sulphate.  These are inexpensive foaming agents but are also a skin irritant.  Do a google search on these to see the problem with them.  I avoid these in products I use as they irrirate my skin.

Start looking at bottles (especially shampoos and toothpastes) and you will see that it is hard to find products without one of these two chemicals.

I know wikipedia alone is not a totally reliable source, but this specific article was well written:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_laureth_sulphate
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 08:06:44 AM by X The Hierophant »

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 08:29:10 AM »
Rather than the "scrubs" with the chemicals, and sandy beads, I use a loofa pad daily with regular soap.  No problems at all and it feels great.  I found mine at the Wal Mart.

Offline BaldBen

• Super Sly
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 08:42:56 AM »
I had this problem too when I was using the Nivea For Men.
Upon no longer using the product, in about 1 week they went away.
jDog, how come the Nivea Products are still on your sink counter?
Agree, that witch hazel does a great job soothing the skin and preventing irritation. I keep it in the fridge.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 08:44:41 AM by BaldBen »

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
Ben Franklin

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 10:09:04 AM »
Exfoliating your skin is a good process but no needed everyday.

Over exfoliating is basically not giving your skin time to heal and re-irritating it. Shaving being a natural exfoliating process you can see how this turns into a vicious circle.

What has worked well for me (as I react to exfoliating and over washing with redness too) is I usually will scrub my head and face really well on Sunday or Sunday night (when I am winding down the weekend and preparing for the work week) and I don't shave my head or face. I use a good cream right our of the shower to keep moisture in my skin and call it good. The next day I shave as usual when the redness is gone and my skin has had plenty of time to heal.

Experimenting and learning how your skin reacts to different processes is key as everyone is different.

Sometimes less is more.
“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”