Poll

Where is your Gas Cap located?

Driver's Side
Passenger Side
In the back behind the license plate
I have an electric car, no car at all or neither 1 nor 2 nor 3

Author Topic: Where is the Gas Cap located on your vehicle?  (Read 6030 times)

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Where is the Gas Cap located on your vehicle?
« on: June 29, 2016, 09:12:19 AM »
Nowadays, most vehicles I see (including mine) have their gas cap on the rear of the driver's side. However, yesterday, I saw two vehicles with the gas cap on the passenger side. I have owned vehicles in the past where the gas cap was in the back and you had to flip down the license plate to get to it....Just wondering (thinking we could talk about something other than bald heads for a little bit LOL)

Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
Re: Where is the Gas Cap located on your vehicle?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 11:40:32 AM »
Look at the gasoline pump logo near your gas gauge. It has a small logo pointing to the correct side of the car to remind you.

Quite confusing without this, as you change cars and don't know which side it might be one. It's extra confusing at the pump as people with tanks on the opposite sides fight for the position at the pump going in opposite directions!  I wonder why this is not standardized so that all are on the same side to make it easier for all.

http://lifehacker.com/instantly-see-which-side-of-your-car-the-gas-tank-is-on-1174049329

Offline Quiet_Dan

• Super Sly
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 04:04:50 PM »
I wanted to vote: On the petrol station pump 20 kilometers back!

yes mrzed a lot of cars are like that, but there many cars which don't do that and some that are more subtle and have the pump pump image with the nozzle on the correct side. most cars with a single exhaust system will have the filler on the other side of the vehicle to the exhaust. As a mechanic, I have seen that any rule you can come up with as to which side a fuel filler is there is always an exception to the rule. if they were all on the one side of the car you would mainly have one side of the pump used, and if to say only on the passenger side, if it was to be sold in a market that drove on the other side of the road and so changes the drivers position, that's not an expense they would go to in converting LHD to RHD or vice-versa.

BTW thanks for a topic I am knowledgeable about :)
God created only a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair!

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 04:12:08 PM »
Passenger side on the Ford Explorer; Driver side on the old 1995 Grand Cherokee.  I still get it confused.  Will have to look for the arrow.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 06:30:36 PM »
@Quiet Dan & Mr. Zed Dan...Thanks for sharing the info (I guess that's why they say ask Dan the man!)

These are my vehicles and location of the gas cap in chronological order:

1980 Chevrolet Caprice Classic-behind the license plate
1978 Ford Granada-passenger side
1986 Pontiac Bonneville-behind the license plate
2000 Chevrolet Cavalier-Driver's side
2006 Chevrolet Colorado-Driver's side

Glad you liked the topic, Quiet Dan!

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 07:17:37 AM »
2010 Gmc Terrain passenger side

1939 Ford coupe streetrod  drivers side
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline amatlock2778

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 08:23:19 AM »
Its on the drivers side of my vehicle. having only 1 car to my household, im glad i dont have to deal with any confusion over it except if i need to rent a car, but even that i dont do often as i tend to stick to travel in places i can drive to within a single day, and dont see any need to rent a car for that unless i have more than just me, my sig. other, and 1 friend along (more than that and the trunk would be too full, and some items in the back seat would crowd my friends too much)

As for the arrow, ive come to know thats pretty standardized on newer cars, but kinda iffy if its there on older ones
Bald by chioce, never going back

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 10:20:56 AM »
We have three cars (Mazda3, Toyota RAV4 and Infinti G) and all the gas caps are on the right rear panel.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 04:01:40 PM »
I read an article in a car magazine a few years back about this topic.  Seems that in the US, it is safer to put the filler on the right rear because that location is less likely to get hit in an accident than the left rear.  However from a convenience standpoint, American drivers prefer the left rear because it's quicker and easier when filling the tank at the gas station since you don't have to walk around the car to get to the gas filler.  So it comes down to a trade-off between a slightly safer location and convenience.

Offline Quiet_Dan

• Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 10:06:29 PM »
Wow LaserMan, that's a theory I hadn't heard before, but makes sense
God created only a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2016, 11:25:17 PM »
I have one car with one on the driver side and the other car with it on the passenger side.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 05:08:52 PM »
Checked out the arrow thing this weekend.  It is true!
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline jbrit25

• Sly
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2016, 06:32:45 AM »
Here's a crazy one... I drove a new 12 passenger Ford van this weekend. To get to the gas cap, you have to open the drivers side door and it is basically on the inside of where the door meets the body. It was really confusing.
Roll Tide!
COYS!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2016, 07:54:11 AM »
Here's a crazy one... I drove a new 12 passenger Ford van this weekend. To get to the gas cap, you have to open the drivers side door and it is basically on the inside of where the door meets the body. It was really confusing.

J-Brit, by any chance was that for your church group? I think my church's van has one in the exact same position you mentioned.

Offline jbrit25

• Sly
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2016, 10:36:40 AM »

J-Brit, by any chance was that for your church group? I think my church's van has one in the exact same position you mentioned.

Yeah it was. I almost had to get out the owners manual.
Roll Tide!
COYS!