Author Topic: Show Us Your Glasses!!!  (Read 54180 times)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Show Us Your Glasses!!!
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2016, 04:35:09 PM »
I like the bottom ones better but I do not like the clear plastic. The clear plastic seems feminine to me.  The bottom ones are the same shape as the glasses I had in high school. I liked them at the time but I probably wouldn't wear frames like that today. I'll probably end up doing what you did and get metal  frames that are pretty close to what I have now.

I've been taking a break from my contacts for the past few days to give my eyes a rest. I'm considering giving up on them altogether but I'm not sure I'm ready to go back to full-time glasses wearing.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2016, 10:20:00 AM »
Interesting. I don't find the clear frames feminine at all. I kind of like how they recede into the face, and are likely the only plastic frames I'd consider.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2016, 10:58:47 AM »
I like how they don't overwhelm the face but they're not something I would ever wear. 

I went to the optician this morning to get my glasses adjusted.  I browsed at some frames while I was waiting and honestly did not see anything that I liked.  I've been waiting for years now for this ugly frames fad to end but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen anytime soon. 

I have magnetic clip-on sunglasses for my frames.  May sound geeky but they are convenient and I like them.  They don't seem to be making these at all anymore. The selection was very sparse the last time I was at the optician's office and today there were none at all that I could see.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2016, 12:08:50 AM »
I have magnetic clip-on sunglasses for my frames.  May sound geeky but they are convenient and I like them.
I've gotten those with my past 4 or 5 pairs and I love them.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2016, 02:41:07 PM »
I guess the magnetic clip ons don't work too well with big bulky plastic frames.  That may be why they are dying out.

Offline Glottonym

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2016, 05:47:38 PM »
It is interesting to see how different perspectives can be. I really love bold glasses and I find smallish, round metal frames boring (in themselves; this does not mean that they don't look very attractive on somebody's face). I also find the larger visual field of larger glasses much more comfortable.

I hated the styles of the late 1990s and especially early 2000s when it was all "small is beautiful". "Do not wear large frames, because with your prescription the lenses will be very thick." Blabla - firstly, there are now high-index lenses available, which reduce thickness considerably. Secondly, I do not think too many people want to look at my head from a certain angle just to check out my lense thickness.

My teenage "I hate and will never wear glasses"-phase is strongly linked to pilot frames so I thought I would never ever wear this style again. And here I am, choosing a pilot frame. The great thing about modern frame design (or any kind of design, for that matter) is that retro is never the return of the same, but the is the odd modification here and there and the same suddently looks very different. And it is like revisiting the past and reconile yourself with it.

But that's just me (owning a few different frames, but all of them plastic, all of them large (not too large, though)).

Offline MichaelRMT

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2016, 07:25:30 PM »

Offline jeff29708

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2016, 02:01:11 PM »

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2016, 11:44:40 PM »
Here's me hanging' with my good friend Bob.

Offline 4fit

• Super Sly
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2016, 07:06:03 AM »

Offline clipped

• Sly
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2016, 08:19:45 AM »
I agree on the clunky, heavy and the slim horizontal frames not being for me.  I have stuck with the virtually invisible "Silhouette" metal, hinge-less frames (2 lenses connected with a nose piece & 2 arms & no metal around the lens), but did change to a more rectangular lens 2 years ago. i have "clip-on" sun glasses for them. Gave up contacts in my 40s due to dry eyes.

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2016, 04:26:42 AM »
I'm also trying to decide if I want to continue wearing contacts.  I can see better with my glasses and my eyes feel better whenever I take a break from contacts but glasses have their own sets of disadvantages.   Decisions, decisions ...   :-\

From memory, seem to remember that you have prescription for distance and reading. Have you considered progressive lenses (otherwise known as varifocals) ?

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2016, 04:41:47 AM »

These are my first pair of full time glasses.

Until you reach your 40s, you may have had good eyesight and never visited the optician. Your only experience of glasses are the shades you sometimes wear on a sunny day. This was the case for me.

Then you notice difficulty with small print. This happens to many people in their 40s and it happened to me. So my introduction was a pair of +1.00 reading glasses. Just wore them now and again for small print. And I thought that was that.

Your eyesight changes. Reading glasses become a complete necessity. And then you to start struggle with reading the credits at the end of television shows. And in my case, a few years  later, the optician recommended progressive (varifocal/bi-focal) lenses for both distance and reading. I was going to be wearing glasses full time.

I went full time with the metal framed glasses shown in this post. They were for my distance vision, which now needed correcting. Up to a point, they mostly corrected my reading vision, too. But my eyesight changed again and I decided to switch to varifocals. I've been wearing varifocals for over 4 years. And wearing glasses full time for 6 years.

If you've never worn glasses and think you now need a pair for reading, then get your eyes tested. Your new prescription will help you choose the right over-the-counter reading glasses. After that, you may find your eyesight worsens and the opticians eventually recommends progressive (varifocal/bi-focal) lenses. I remember putting on my progressive lenses for the first in the opticians. And I walked out the shop with them on ! Wearing them all day long got me easily adjusted in a few days.

Along with the sly bald head, glasses are an integral part of my appearance. Just as well, nowadays, I really cannot tolerate my vision without my glasses.

For those new to wearing glasses, consider buying frames where you can subsequently change the lenses. Just had my 2-yearly eye test. Distance vision unchanged but my reading vision has got worse yet again. So I'll get new lenses for my Ray-Bans. Cheaper than new glasses.

Thought I'd turn my experience into some advice for others !

« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 05:52:39 AM by Mr Jules »

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2016, 09:15:51 AM »
Looks great, Mr Jules!

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2016, 10:19:45 AM »
Just curious, how many who wear glasses regularly have gone over to transitions?  I've been wearing them for about 3 years now.  I got tired of carrying multiple pairs around, and the frames I like wouldn't work with clip ons.  It would be nice if they'd figure out a way to get them to tint more behind the windshield of a car, but otherwise, I really enjoy them.