Author Topic: Barbershop Headshave?  (Read 23681 times)

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
Re: Barbershop Headshave?
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2013, 08:44:51 AM »
I've not yet had my head shaved at a barber, but when I had hair, I used to enjoy going. The enjoyment came from the sheer relaxation of it. I felt the same way about a haircut as I feel about a message. I stopped going when I gave up on the hair and just asked for a buzz. They were charging me the same price for a five minute buzz than they were charging me for a real hair cut. So I began doing it myself.

Now that I shave all the way, I should probably reconsider the occasional trip to the barber.
Bronx bald and bred!

isleepinthebuff

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2013, 12:39:59 PM »
I have to say I miss the barber shop experience. I used to go to a turkish barbers about once a month and got the whole hot towel, ear trim, eyebrow trim, head massage. Those turkish barbers know how to treat their customers for a good price!

I've moved outside London now so can't just pop down the road to my local one now otherwise I would be tempted to get a headshave everyonce in a while, even tho I think I shave my head better than someone else.

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2013, 01:14:00 AM »
So much so that I tip them well, i think its a once a month treat .Otherwise DIY

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2013, 07:44:59 PM »
It is relaxing and fun to go to a Berber to get shaved. I go to a female barber who clipper shaves first and that's followed by a norelco and foil shaver along with the pampering of hot towels and a razor. The shave is very smooth. I've been to other barbers who use only a razor and I always felt that he shaves we're never smooth enough and always felt disappointed.

I love the barbershop experience too. Last week I skipped most days of shaving and I was going to treat myself to a head shave at the barbers. I pulled into the parking lot and as I was about to park, three other customers walked into the shop. At that point I lost interest thinking an hour wait! So said forget it! I will go home and just shave myself to get smoothest shave but just make a bit of a mess in the sink because I did have to use clippers first.

The biggest advantage to being sly is that it's DIY, it's cheap, no waiting, and you definitely get the most satisfaction with the smoothest shave.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2013, 08:19:51 PM »
Hey Red, that's awesome!  I may have to go visit Jonathan one of these days when I'm up in "the city."
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline wutwutman

• Super Sly
  • "Isaac Hayes style boy!" lol
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2013, 10:29:29 AM »
I think I'd like to try it at least once also.  Going to have to ask around to see if there are any barbers that blade shave locally.
** Wutwutman **
"To shave or not to shave... is that really a question?"

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2014, 01:28:16 PM »
Today, I was in Baton Rouge getting a flat tire fixed. There was a barbershop across the street and it was surprisingly empty for a Saturday! My beard was starting to kink up and I hadn't shaved my head since early Monday, so I decided to walk in and give it a try. Surprisingly the guy did my beard FIRST! he cut all the loose hairs and shaped it up nicely. He used a straight for the face, but when it came time for the head, he ran a foil shaver across my head and then-get this-he used a Lord DE razor (Wilkinson Blade) to shave my head! He had used the hot towels and Shea Shave cream for the lather He did one side at a time both ATG and WTG. This guy put the other barbers I've been to to shame when it comes to smoothness! I gave him $20+tip, but I have to say this is the first time that I can remember where I didn't have to go home and go over it again for smoothness. I'd say he spent a good 45 minutes, and I would go to him again for my next barbershop headshave!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2014, 06:02:14 PM »
Sounds very relaxing. A great way to spend some time on a Saturday!
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2014, 07:49:24 PM »
You're lucky, Harry.  While I've found barber shaves to be very relaxing, I've not had a barber ever replicate what I can do myself.

Offline bud

• Sly
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2014, 12:43:11 AM »
I regularly go to my Turkish barber. It's very relaxing. First, the barber soaps up my head. Then I get a glass of tea, very fine. He shaves my head with a razor several times until it is nice and smooth. At the end he rubs the head with alcohol and cream.  He brings the beard in order. Finally, he removes with a flame all superfluous hair. I enjoy it. O0
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 01:15:10 AM by bud »

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2014, 09:15:09 AM »
Hi Harry:  Wow... you lucky man.  I know that was very relaxing.  What a treat.  Thanks for sharing.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline DOC_OSMC

• Bald and Bearded
  • Super Sly
  • Pleasure's a sin, and sometimes sin's a pleasure.
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2014, 12:08:32 PM »
I haven't been to the barbershop since the first two times I had my head shaved last year.  I've been doing it myself after the second visit.  I did enjoy the relaxing experience that goes with the whole barbershop visit.  It helped that the shop had a tap so I could drink a beer while I waited. 

I do recall that although my head looked smooth, it didn't feel smooth in some spots, which tend to be my problem spots. 

It definitely is a treat and one that I think I need to start indulging in every now and again.
My granddaddy once told me, "If you can't hack it, gecho' jacket!"

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2014, 05:23:43 PM »
A barbershop with a beer tap? I could make that head shave a regular thing!
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline DOC_OSMC

• Bald and Bearded
  • Super Sly
  • Pleasure's a sin, and sometimes sin's a pleasure.
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2014, 12:00:31 AM »
Yessir!  There are a couple of barbershops out here that I know of that have beer taps.  Gets you right in the mood!
My granddaddy once told me, "If you can't hack it, gecho' jacket!"

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2014, 10:46:39 AM »
Yessir!  There are a couple of barbershops out here that I know of that have beer taps.  Gets you right in the mood!

Let's just hope the barber stays sober !!
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Enter your email address: