Author Topic: Too much cream -- too little A/S?  (Read 2067 times)

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
Too much cream -- too little A/S?
« on: June 23, 2012, 12:47:04 PM »
I want to throw this out. 

I stopped using Aftershave (A/S) years ago.  Couldn’t handle the fragrance, I thought it irritated my sensitive skin.  I have a new take on fragrance in my later years, so things are different now, especially with more surface area to treat -- post shave.

When I first went Sly, there was this initial thought that I had to cream my head after each and every shave for fear of it drying out or as an essential “post shave treatment” Not to mention sun protection, healing, you name it!  The question arises, in general, what is better, creams, (including balms), or good old after shave?

At one stage I was using after shave first, and then cream just to make “double” sure, LOL.  The strange thing was, my scalp took a long time to turn even remotely “bronze”.  Perhaps because I applied too much cream.  When I applied any of the array of different enthusiastically acquired creams or moisturisers, my scalp felt tacky and almost reptile-like afterwards.

While on leave in the 50th day of Sly, I have made an observation which probably answers my own question.  Good Old fashioned badger brush, pre shave oil, shaving soap, a close shave with my blade of choice (A DE, at present) and a generous splash of A/S makes my head look and feel amazing. I enjoy the clinical stinging sensation on my head as the nicks seem to be cleansed from any germs.  I also get a sort of rush, can anyone relate? As it dries the pleasant texture kicks in. Any blood dries up quickly.

I am mindful that it is indeed winter here now, an unusually cold and wet winter at that. So perhaps I don’t need moisturiser right now but in terms of feel and look, I am leaning more towards an aftershave. I am using a “cheap” drugstore aftershave at present, so if I like the experience any further I will buy some decent dome juice, which will hopefully also moisturise and make it feel so good. (“Oh dear, wallet, here we go!”)

So what’s your take, what gives your head a better feel, cream or A/S? Are you a cream man or an A/S man?  Ask your loved one’s opinion for the truth, LOL!!

Do share your experiences, even if this topic has been done before.

"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
Re: Too much cream -- too little A/S?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 01:24:17 PM »
I can't abide fragrances of any kind, be it cologne or aftershave. They make me gag.

I use a scent-free moisturizing cream on my noggin after a shave.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 01:26:21 PM by TheSlyBear »

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 02:21:04 PM »
I'm all over the place with my post-shave routine.  I always follow a shave with a cold water rinse, and sometimes that's it and I'll move on to the sunscreen.  Sometimes I'll use an alcohol-based aftershave and I get a nice dry and tight scalp.  Other times I'll use Nivea aftershave balm if I've had a somewhat rough shave for whatever reason; it's more soothing than regular aftershave.
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 03:30:51 PM »
Colognes and after shaves will actually dry your skin out because they contain alcohol. Use the creams/balms if you're worried about dry skin.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline balddoc

• Sly
  • Badass and bald to the bone.
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 05:05:25 PM »
I splash on good old-fashioned aftershave after every shave. Once it's dry, I put in moisturising cream. With my DHT-fuelled sebaceous glands, I'm in no dangercof a dry scalp. Any nicks are disinfected and there is no bleeding. Luckily, nicks have becone a rarity.

Mike

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 05:16:40 PM »
My after-shave routine keeps evolving.  I'm into the ice cube only phase now.  I started out by using ClearHead with a moisturizer afterwards, but noticed my scalp felt oily a few hours later, so I cut back to ClearHead only.  Then I decided to try Nivea After-shave Balm and liked that very much because it's alcohol-free and dried quickly. 

I've also tried Sabon After-shave Cream (a gift from my wife from a small shop in New York City).  It gave a great shine and had a light fragrance, but also left my head feeling kind of sticky in a few hours.  Strangely, it doesn't have the same effect when used on the face, so I think the skin oils (and amount of them must be very different between the face and the scalp.

I don't use after-shave anymore, primarily because the one I liked was discontinued!!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 06:08:55 AM »
At the moment, I'm only doing the Ice Cube/Witch Hazel method with aftershave as a secondary. When I was on maneuvers last two weeks, I used the aftershave because ice cubes were not readily available in the woods/barracks. I still use aftershave on my face followed by Bump Stopper, however. I use Aloe Vera after on both face and head so I'm good as far as the dry skin issue.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 02:52:56 PM »
Right now, I'm just using the Nivea Extreme Comfort after shave balm. If I want a little extra shine I'll follow that up with a combination of olive oil and beeswax.
Hair is over rated.

Offline antoniom

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 05:44:40 PM »
I use gillette after shave gel not lotion and its nice n cool after the shave for both my head and face especially if [i'm on the go sometimes like work in the morning I take my after shave care products with me and apply some to my shaved areas on the go if running behind] and the cool air from outside hits my dome and face its a very nice feeling.

now once i rinsed and toweled off my face and dome then moisten a cotton pad and rub facial tonic all over my face and down to prevent irritation, also removes oil and dirt from my face if any on there. I sometimes I skip this step also I rub some some mens body lotion on my face and dome sometimes for some extra protection or some mens face + body lotion works well. I've tried everything just about beside what's been mentioned here but the mens coco butter is the bomb to rub on your face + dome after the shave not just body.

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 04:05:10 AM »
@Balddoc, That Old fashioned After shave you referred to wouldn't happen to be "Old Spice" would it?  If so, snap, that is what I am using at the moment, and as "Old" and common as it is, I love it.

However, I intend buying a more expensive aftershave, one in the same line as one of my favourite current colognes, eg Le Male, Hugo Boss Bottled Night, Paco Rabanne, One Million or BalckXS "Le Excess", just to name a few.

If my scalp ever gets dry, I will obviously apply a non scented moisturiser a short wile after the A/S.

I think because I am so fond of men's fragrances, I am now getting into the aftershave aspect since going sly and shaving so much more than before.
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."