Author Topic: Baby Oil - an alternative to shaving cream  (Read 33857 times)

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • bald, bold and beautiful
Baby Oil - an alternative to shaving cream
« on: October 13, 2006, 02:20:37 PM »
My fellow bald lads,

after reading a review on baby oil as a substitute for shaving cream I just
went ahead and tried it myself. Here's what I've experienced so far:

The baby oil I bought was Johnson's Baby Oil with Aloe Vera (and vitamin E).
The street price was 3,40 EURO ($4) for a 200ml bottle.

First, I rinsed my head with warm water for a couple of minutes, then I applied the baby oil on my scalp. The baby oil is...well, oily. At first I thought it wouldn't work - it just lubricated my head, produced a very thin coat of oil on my head, that's all. I thought "Oh my, Harry, you're going to cut yourself..."

Anyway, I started shaving, and the feel was very different from shaving cream. The blade didn't glide as smoothly and it felt strange. However, the baby oil appeared to create an oil coat / layer on my scalp that protected it from nicks and irritation. I didn't cut myself at all, there were no nicks, no irritation. But oddly enough, the shave was rather rough - not the smooth glide you get from a good shaving cream.

But...the razor gunks up pretty badly due to the oil. It was much more difficult to remove the hair from the razor - the hair sticked to the oil and the whole thing sticked to the razor...really messy, I can tell you that. The basin was a mess: it was covered in an oil film and there was hair everywhere. I had to apply soap to wash it off after I was done shaving.

Ok, it IS messy. BUT...the baby oil does a great job in protecting your scalp from irritation and nicks. I haven't had such great results from any shaving cream I've used so far. And when you're done you don't need to apply any lotions or creams - your head is already sufficiently lubricated and smooth as a baby's bottom.

However, shaving creams allow the razor to glide better, and the shave is a little more enjoyable, in my opinion. Plus, with the baby oil (being oily and all), you're likely to miss a few minor spots - everything feels smooth to the touch, even areas that could use another another stroke.

Providing a safe and irritation-free shave, that's where baby oil excels, in my opinion.
Those who couldn't shave their head on a daily basis (but wanted to) due to irritation, will love baby oil. And your head will be smooth and soft and feel great.

PROS:

• no irritation, no nicks, no razor burns
  • you can shave more often (every day) without irritation
  • no need to apply after-shave balms or creams
  • it's relatively cheap
  • after shaving you can use the baby oil for more adult oriented
    activities with your partner
  • your head is soft and smooth and feels great after shaving

CONS:

• razor gunks up pretty badly
  • leaves a messy sink
  • blade doesn't glide as well as with a shaving cream
  • the shave feels awkward / needs some getting used to
  • it's difficult to feel spots you've missed during shaving

The bottom line: Baby oil is probably not the perfect substitute to shaving cream. But it's an interesting choice for those who suffer from a lot of irritation from shaving.

Hope this was of help. 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 02:22:18 PM by happyharry »

Who loves ya, baby?

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • bald, bold and beautiful
Re: Baby Oil - an alternative to shaving cream
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 11:55:04 AM »
SUPPLEMENTAL:

I've discovered that baby oil is a great lubricant as well for in between shaves.

Just add a few drops and apply it on your scalp, wait a minute, and then thoroughly wipe your head with a towel or napkins and you're good to go.

Your head is smooth as a baby's bottom and smells nice too.
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline Yeti

• "Fear profits a man nothing"
  • Sly Moderator
  • Super Sly
  • Big, Bald, & Friendly... ~Yeti
    • Yeti's Realm (MySpace Page)
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 12:55:39 PM »
heheh harry smells "clean"     ;)
~Yeti
-------------
Tyler's Assister w/ creation of SBG & 1st Mod (now I am Elusive, but ALWAYS watching. hehe
-------------
BIG, FURRY, & BALD: Tattooes almost 300 hrs, Piercings several, Gamer; Internet 13+ yrs, Movies, Music, Drinks w/ friends, Ladies, my kids.
-------------

Offline indybald

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 09:58:13 AM »
Harry,

I am going to have to try that. I was looking online all over trying to find an alternative to shaving cream, and it seems everyone has an answer, but most seem a little odd. I am relatively brand new to being bald, my wife loves the look, but my skin is really irritated from the shaving. At first I thought it was the bic blades, but I tried a couple other brands, and the same result, bumpy, red, irritated, and not looking too good. I have been trying cocoa butter after shaving and it has helped quite a bit, putting moisture back into the skin, but it still doesn't allow me to be able to shave my head everyday, so I am going to try your answer of the baby oil, sounds like a good option for me. Appreciate the advice!

Offline clute

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 11:40:58 PM »
I've been shaving with baby oil for a long time. What I do is to rub the oil into my skin and then put just a thin layer of shaving foam. I put a few drops of dish washing liquid in my rinsing water and no more clogging of the razor. Also the basin stays clean.

Hope this helps.

Pshrynk

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 08:02:19 AM »
Try using a light coat of oil and then a light coat of shaving cream on top  O0

Offline Kojak

• Ich bin ein Berliner
  • Sly
  • Hang out with Stevie Ray in my Nations Capital
    • I make pinup art
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 11:22:24 AM »
Try using a light coat of oil and then a light coat of shaving cream on top  O0

Yes, light coat of baby oil combined with shaving cream is really nice. Give you a smooth slide and not a drag.
"Who loves ya, baby?"~Kojak~

Offline gardner179

• Sly
  • uk sly
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 02:37:27 PM »
HAVE BEEN USING THE BABY OIL FOR JUST OVER A WEEK NOW, AND I HAVE FOUND THAT IF YOU USE A SHAVING GELL OR FOAM OVER THE TOP, YOU WILL HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH YOUR RAZOR GUNKING UP,AND YOU GET A SUPPER SMOOTH SHAVE. :@` :@`