Author Topic: Unexpected Positive and Surreal Reactions  (Read 5055 times)

Offline Lew

• Sly Jr.
Unexpected Positive and Surreal Reactions
« on: June 06, 2016, 09:15:57 AM »
I have been bald for five weeks and the positive reactions I've had from others have been overwhelmingly fantastic.  It's weird because quite honestly I expected the opposite.  I've been asked by at least a dozen people if I were single and available.  What?  No one has asked me that in decades. 

I went to a concert by myself on Saturday night and had the time of my life.  My wife was sick and stayed at home.  I met quite a few people that I spoke with and there was this hot woman from LA that was all over me.  She was literally sitting in my lap, hugging on me, flirting, and, well, you get the idea.  If I weren't committed to my marriage...

I'm not mentioning this to have me ego stroked.  I have always had a very conservative look and never really been approached by others (read between the lines with others).  This is all because of a shaved head?!  Now this is just surreal to me.  I just think people have a harder time guessing a bald man's age, too, so maybe that factors into it.

Has anyone else had weird experiences like this?  I know I'm not alone and I'm certainly not complaining.  It's like being another person completely.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Unexpected Positive and Surreal Reactions
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 12:09:30 PM »
Glad that it's working out for you. In my case, shaved heads are so common here, I probably got more comments along the lines of "It's about time!" LOL
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 01:56:45 PM »
Lew, it was crazy for me too when I first decided to go sly.  The interest that I had from women was incredibly insane or still is.  You're not the only one who has experienced what you're talking about.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 02:38:54 PM »
Glad to hear you're enjoying the bald life, Lew. It's great isn't it? When you feel good on the inside, it shows on the outside.

How often do you color the goatee?
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Lew

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 06:13:31 AM »
Glad to hear you're enjoying the bald life, Lew. It's great isn't it? When you feel good on the inside, it shows on the outside.

I have to color my goatee once a week.  My facial hair is fairly white so I don't think it retains color for very long, but ten minutes once a week is no big deal.  I'm just trying to find an exact look that I like and then stick with it.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 11:20:31 AM »
I color once a week as well.  Since my beard is very white (much more salt than pepper), the white roots show quickly.  I sometimes go 2 weeks, but for the most part, it is weekly.  I use a ladies hair color that does not fade as quickly as the JFM product, so the white roots are the real issue for me.
SlyBeard

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 01:52:37 PM »

I have to color my goatee once a week.  My facial hair is fairly white so I don't think it retains color for very long, but ten minutes once a week is no big deal.  I'm just trying to find an exact look that I like and then stick with it.

I may be in the minority - but I don't like your look with the colored goatee.  And, I know from experience that the roots will show after just a day or two. 

I also don't get why any of us would dye their beard.  Those of us who are naturally bald have accepted our natural selves and those of us who are BBC have accepted their true selves.  Why dye anything?  Isn't that a bit like wearing a rug?  If the grey/or white beard bothers you - why not just shave it off and instantly look younger?  (Especially you!)

Be free of the hassle, be free of the concern.  You are bald and have beautiful skin - SHOW IT OFF DON'T COVER IT UP!

Offline Lew

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 07:07:21 PM »
I may be in the minority - but I don't like your look with the colored goatee.  And, I know from experience that the roots will show after just a day or two. 

I also don't get why any of us would dye their beard.  Those of us who are naturally bald have accepted our natural selves and those of us who are BBC have accepted their true selves.  Why dye anything?  Isn't that a bit like wearing a rug?  If the grey/or white beard bothers you - why not just shave it off and instantly look younger?  (Especially you!)

Be free of the hassle, be free of the concern.  You are bald and have beautiful skin - SHOW IT OFF DON'T COVER IT UP!
[/quote]

Some people like the color in my goatee and others don't.  I like it and I don't mind spending 10 minutes a week on it.  I don't think it looks bad at all.  There's a little gray/white in it but I think that adds character.  I just took this picture a few hours ago.

I don't liken dying my hair to wearing a system/rug.  It's just maintenance like brushing my teeth or taking my contacts out at night.  It's no big deal to me and I'm happy with the look.

Offline baldmillions

• Learning the way of Sly
  • I was called to be be bald.
    • DeathTroll
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 08:04:25 PM »
Nothing surprising here, @Lew! I've had a very similar experience :D
It's about what's IN and not on your head!
It's about what's IN and Not On your head!

Enter your email address: