Author Topic: Reaction at a job interview  (Read 14940 times)

Offline xKevoBx

• Sly Jr.
  • I'm bald agian!
Reaction at a job interview
« on: August 06, 2010, 10:29:51 AM »
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but I'm run with it anyways.

So today I had an interview with a temp agency where I was applying for some administrative type jobs. I talk with the recruiter and everything goes wonderful. Then, she asks me, "Do you always shave your head? or is This just for the summer?". Of course my head is still pale so I'd be telling a bald face lie if I told her I always shaved my head. I didn't know how to answer the question so I told a half truth, "yeah, it was really hot outside and I decided to shave it." Which was one of the MANY reasons I decided to shave my head. I'm not sure if she was trying to start a conversation or if it was a concern of hers. I would've thought that if it was a concern, that she would have advised me to grow my hair out to a buzz at least.

I'm wondering if my shaved head will make me less marketable especially since I'm in a customer service type of field.

Has anyone gotten a reaction like that at a job interview before?

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
Re: Reaction at a job interview
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 01:01:06 PM »
While not specifically for a job interview - I'm in sales and meet face to face with clients all the time.  I'm the VP of a professional services firm that does high end websites for the public sector.   So in effect I'm "interviewing" for the work -- and my shaved head has actually helped me get work.  How you ask?   Its all about confidence.   Before I started wearing a hair piece I would notice peoples eyes traveling up from my eyes and looking at my balding head.   After I started wearing a hairpiece I was always worried that people would "detect" it.   After shaving my head people look at me eye to eye and never glance up.   The personal confidence boost was HUGE and by the way my sales have gone up as well.     

So turn on the confidence.  Its never stopped someone from hiring us to do work - its only helped!

Offline kenny57028

• Super Sly
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 08:41:21 PM »
My mom often tells me that I should let my hair grow out a lil bit as I would get a job better, ya mom I'ma walk around with a bozo ring at 18.  ;D I really think its just a generational thing.
The reason people find it so hard to be happy is that they always see the Past better than it was,
the Present worse than it is & the future less resolved than it will be.

Offline BigRon

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 09:18:10 PM »
My mom often tells me that I should let my hair grow out a lil bit as I would get a job better, ya mom I'ma walk around with a bozo ring at 18.  ;D I really think its just a generational thing.

my mom says the same thing.  I told her "fine I don't need a job, at least I'll have my dignity"

Any job that judges me for my hair isn't a job worth having.  End of story.

Offline xKevoBx

• Sly Jr.
  • I'm bald agian!
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 09:45:05 PM »
Thanks everyone, it means a lot to me. At this point I'd take any job besides the I have right now. I would be upset if I had to grow my hair out again. In a way, I wish I could say I'd look like Bozo but I'm bald by choice. I just think having a shaved head is awesome. Strangely it feels more like me.

I hope at my current job, they are okay with me being bald. I'm rather nervous about tomorrow.

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 09:48:03 PM »
I bought in to that grow your hair back lie while looking for work... never again.  It's crapola!  ;D

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline Rob-Raz

• Super Sly
  • Me and my girls
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 06:53:42 AM »
I believe my reply would have been "now thats an interesting question! Do you ask people that are fat if they have a health problems....or just like to eat too much?"  May not have helped with the job...but may have let them know proper questions to ask when doing an interview.  >:(

How did it go BTW?

Offline Dr.Mr.Ed

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 11:18:45 AM »
I've been at my current job going on 10 years now. I went on an interview that I was recruited into mostly out of kicks because I'm not really looking right now, but it had potential and could be a good fit.

This is for a 6 figure director level job. And bear in mind that I work from a home office and most people I currently work with haven't seen my bald yet. So I was a bit nervous on several fronts, but threw on a tie, didn't take out my 2 gold hoop earrings and went in with head shining.

The receptionist, whom I had talked to on the phone and had called into question my significant salary requirement, looked up at me and literally looked shocked at what she saw. But without missing a bit she says, "Wow, you look like a Director".

It's all about presentation and confidence. I really don't think I could have strolled in there the same way with a thinning $25 haircut.

ps. the interview went well, got a job offer that I turned down, and now they're coming back with more $. We'll see where it goes  8)
Sly since June 25, 2010.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 07:21:58 PM »
I always look at a job interview in two ways:

1) They are interviewing me

2) I am interviewing them

No matter how bad they may want my services the question still remains..... Are these the type of people I want to work for? I choose NOT to work for closed minded people.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline BaldWriterBob

• Super Sly
  • Pastor, Author, Musician
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 10:51:51 PM »
I have not had a problem with my work because I went sly. Only question was, "Are you going to keep it liker that during the winter?" Their main concern was the coming cold weather.

Offline TomKat

• This is not an infomercial
  • Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 12:17:48 AM »
I work for a biotechnology company and am nearing the 30 day mark for shaving.  (finally posted a pic)  I think 4/5 of the marketing guys ALL have shaved heads.  Someone kidded me I was trying to move out of R&D into marketing.  We are new and the leader in our sector: DNA sequencing instruments with lots of competition.  Obviously this isn't an issue as they face our customers.

Offline Quiet_Dan

• Super Sly
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 11:35:08 PM »
I already had my current job before I started shaving, but I didn't have a full beard either. And part of my job is being part of the public face of my boss's business. Though I admit one of our well known customers did state that I looked like I belonged in "Lord of the Rings!" but she didn't mean it in a bad way. And my appearance isn't unkept and my boss has never asked me to change my appearance
God created only a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair!

Enter your email address: