Author Topic: Why Hair Salons seldom offer us a choice?  (Read 8915 times)

Offline Domes Day

• Best Exhilarating Salon Finishes
  • Sly Guy in Training
  • One day, we can choose our salon finish our dome
Why Hair Salons seldom offer us a choice?
« on: August 11, 2014, 06:40:14 AM »
"Shaved dome" is not offered to us like "Cut and Blow Dry" is offered to people with hair from most salons?  Is there space for a new culture? - Best salon finishes for the shaved dome.   O0  O:O

Sometimes, I just wanna pro-job. But no one does it!

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
Re: Why Hair Salons seldom offer us a choice?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 06:44:52 AM »
Great idea! I've never head my head shaved by anyone but me. If "shaved dome" was advertised as an option and the price was right, I'd go!
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline Domes Day

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 07:45:14 AM »
Hey, I am curious of your take on why the salons industry is what it is on shaved domes.  Can this be considered as prejudice    :) :) :) :-\ :-*  LOL

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 08:07:27 AM »
First off, I want to apologize to the OP for locking the thread (it is now unlocked)
Would it be nice if salons offered head shaving services? Sure, but do barbershops offer perms and curls? I don't think that there is prejudice on the salon industry's part.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 11:44:07 AM »
It's a lot harder to find a barber who does head shaves than it ought to be.  In Chicago I have gone to two different places in the suburbs, Roosters & Art of Shaving.  Art of Shaving was the best, but the most expensive.  If I remember correctly a Faceshave & Headshave combination was $55.  Add $11.00 tip to the barber and you're at $66.00.  This was a first class straight razor shave.  My local Roosters is now out of business.  The guy there did a nice shave but used a Fusion.

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 11:46:46 AM »
BTW, I know for a fact that Geo. F. Trumper in Mayfair does headshaves.

Londoners, give the guy some other recommendations.

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 12:53:32 PM »
Simply Red:

I know of lots of places in the Chicago area that do straight razor head shaves. 

All of the barbers at my shop in The City, (Belmont Barbershop) do them.  They charge $35 and you need to make an appointment.

I know of a number of shops in the 'Burbs that do them.  The Middle Eastern (Arab or Syrian) shops are the best!  The Arab guys are peacocks and they demand perfect shaves every week! If you tell them that you want it perfectly smooth to the touch they will shave first with the grain and then again against the grain.   the Arab barber shops in my area charge between $15 and $17 for a head shave!

If you need names and adresses just ask me.

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 03:04:26 PM »
I've had a barber shave in Sydney, Australia for $20, in China for $5, in India for $3 and Myanmat for $2.
Roger

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 08:15:45 PM »
I get my head shaves for $0 in North Carolina. I do them myself. I don't usually charge myself. But it is nice to give myself a tip. 

Seriously ... I never really thought of paying for a head shave.  I used to pay for hair cuts, but once I went with the clippers and buzzed ... no need to pay for that. Just do it yourself.

Offline rss114

• Sly
  • Finally Sly
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 11:33:53 PM »
I know that a place here in canada called Tommy Guns barber shop (employes female barbers attest the ones iv been to) but they offer a head shave with all the pampering you could want for $40 I don't know if any have opened anywhere else in the world

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 01:14:37 AM »
I met a woman a few years ago when she commented favorably about my shaved head. In the ensuing conversation she explained to me that when she lived in Milwaukee she worked in a salon that provided, among other things, straight razor head shaves. She explained that they were phased out over the course of several years because of things like local health ordinances and insurance premiums.
With regard to the health department crappola she told me that they always ran a really clean shop but the regs that got passed just made it too cumbersome and expensive for the head shaves to continue. Likewise for the insurance.
So in this case I don't believe that prejudice has anything to do with it. It's more the gubmint trying to protect us from ourselves.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Domes Day

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 01:19:23 AM »
Thanks chaps!

There are a proportion of us who would not have it cross their minds to PAY to have their head shaved and this won’t ever change.  This is ok. :)

Those of us who has the choice of enjoying an occasional pro-finish for our shaved dome are blessed and should count the blessings as what you have is uncommon for most (but not all) of everywhere else.  This is good. :)

The hairy heads get best services because the stylists are always challenging new frontiers of things to offer improvements. :(  But for us, we embrace our pride and are proud to improve what we can do to ourselves which is fine, btw. O0

The reason why we don’t have eye that could see the back of our heads is because we are made to need each other to see it, but not both at the same time!  :*)) Barbers and hair salons thrived because of this fact.  They all offer “cut and blow dry”. 8)

My vision is that all barbers and hair salons should offer “Wet Shaved Dome” along side of “cut and blow dry”.  8) We would then have the benefit of pros who’d make it their career to explore into the best products, ingredients, shave techniques and after care methods for our shaved dome.   O:O O:O

If you know what I am on about, think on a better name for me than “iHead” after taking a look at this link and join me in the cause.  O:O There maybe no fortunes to be made in this journey but I think there is a load of fun for this history in the making. O:O

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ihead8/ihead-game-change-for-hair-salons-and-the-bald-sty

Offline Domes Day

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 11:45:09 AM »
It's a lot harder to find a barber who does head shaves than it ought to be.  In Chicago I have gone to two different places in the suburbs, Roosters & Art of Shaving.  Art of Shaving was the best, but the most expensive.  If I remember correctly a Faceshave & Headshave combination was $55.  Add $11.00 tip to the barber and you're at $66.00.  This was a first class straight razor shave.  My local Roosters is now out of business.  The guy there did a nice shave but used a Fusion.

Red

Hi Red, Roosters in Chicago, is gone right?  Can you still find that owner?  He’s the kinda guy that could be valuable and shares the same vision and you say he used a Fusion?  Experienced guys like these are worth their weight in gold.  I reckon just one more generation, they’d all be gone.  Would welcome your help Red.

Offline Domes Day

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 11:48:23 AM »
Great idea! I've never head my head shaved by anyone but me. If "shaved dome" was advertised as an option and the price was right, I'd go!

What would you consider to be the right price, Mike?

Trying to figure out what salons should believe they could make from offering shaved domes so I can tell them.

Offline rss114

• Sly
  • Finally Sly
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 11:54:39 AM »

What would you consider to be the right price, Mike?

Trying to figure out what salons should believe they could make from offering shaved domes so I can tell them.

as i had posted before the barber shop near me offers a straight razor shave for $40 Canadian and i do see guys in there when i walk past probably 25% of the time having a shave