Author Topic: BEST SHAVING CREAM/GEL THAT DOESN'T IRRITATE EYES WHEN SHAVING HEAD  (Read 5192 times)

Offline tetrizium

• Learning the way of Sly
I am looking for the best shaving gel/cream that doesn't irritate eyes when shaving head . So far I have used NIVIA MEN SENSITIVE and HEADBLADE and both irritate my eyes . Please let me know which ones doesn't irritate eyes

Thanks

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
Re: BEST SHAVING CREAM/GEL THAT DOESN'T IRRITATE EYES WHEN SHAVING HEAD
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 05:21:24 AM »
I'm honestly not sure how to answer this as all of these products are essentially a different type of soap (even creams have base ingredients found in soaps).  Soap burns your eyes... Not much to do about that.  I can suggest staying away from menthol products as the cold feeling will drastically increase eye discomfort.  I used to have issues with getting lather in my eyes then I realized I was using waaaaay too much.  You don't need to look like an edge gel commercial or the stay puff marshmallow man, just provide a nice cushiony lather to lift/hydrate your hair while protecting your skin.  Of all the products I use la toja shave stick "burns" the least when it hits my eye but it's also the only one I use without menthol.  With the two products you listed above in going to assume you apply by hand and not with a brush.  If that is the case just simply try using a little less.  If you do use a brush maybe try a little less water in the brush so it's not as runny.

The only other option I can think of is to try an oil since they require minimal application and are very thick.  The downside is most of these have any combination of things like menthol, clove, essential oils, pepper, peppermint, sandlewood, etc.  all of these really suck to get in your eye!  Shave secret is one of the most popular and affordable shave oils, available at most major US retailers, and that stuff burns like friggin mace when it gets in your eyes.

It's a tough call but I would put money on either using less product as a whole or less water with your product so it's not as runny.

If you want to drop a dime and add a lengthy prep to your shaves(very luxurious though) do a little research first on "super lather" then next on "über lather".  You'll probably end up on a website called badgerandblade.com which then will turn into you buying your first de and brush starter kit.  From there... Ill see you over on the safety razor forum of sbg
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
  • Outdoorsman, Officer, Saved by Jesus Christ
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 07:13:31 AM »
Ummm, i dont know how to say this without sounding kurt, but how are you even getting shaving cream or gel in your eyes....? Wipe your forehead off it it somehow starts dripping down.

Ive never had anything get in my eyes while shaving. Especially if you use a good thick lather like my favorite, Barbasol Original Thick and Rich. And if using the headblade properly, you go from front to back, which would pull all the shaving cream away from your eyes, not into them......

Offline dshupe

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 09:08:53 AM »
I use Van Der Hagen Shave Butter and I have never experienced my eyes burning when and if it runs down my forehead before I can grab a towel when shaving.  I rinse my razor quite often and sometimes the water and the shave butter does run down my face and or my back.  I was surprised the first time it did run in my eyes that I didn't have any burning or stinging even. 

Offline Natedawg

• Misanthropic Humanist
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 12:14:25 PM »
Ummm, i dont know how to say this without sounding kurt, but how are you even getting shaving cream or gel in your eyes....? Wipe your forehead off it it somehow starts dripping down.
Ive never had anything get in my eyes while shaving.

+1
I can't say I've ever had that problem, either.

OP: I recommend looking into altering how you position yourself, and/or how much water you use when shaving, so you can eliminate the problem at the source.
"Change will happen whether we are still or moving." - TTWS

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 02:29:16 PM »
Not to hijack the thread but Dshupe, how do you like that vdh butter? I've never found concrete reviews but I have always enjoyed DSC's butter and any VDH puck I've tried.  I've just lately been so hooked on proraso green or gillette foamy menthol if I'm in a rush.

As for the original post, we all are saying similar things here.  Sounds like your lather is too thin/runny, your posture while shaving is wonky, or you could try going from front to back as pangolin suggested (less of course your hair growth pattern wtg is back to front then you may experience irritation)
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline dshupe

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 03:15:02 PM »
I like the Shave Butter. Works well for me.

Offline socknoggle

• Sly
  • Grateful follower of Jesus Christ
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 12:08:14 PM »
I've seen that in stores but never tried it.  I've been using the Bee Bald Shave and I really like it.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 03:36:09 PM »
I would suggest Pacific Shaving Oil as oil is less likely to get into your eyes. Though, if it does get into your eyes, I'm not sure how it would feel as I've never had that issue. I have had that issue as a shower shaver, but it's usually due to not shaking the water off the blade after rinsing it and before I bring it up to my head.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline SlyMike

• Ad Free VIP
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Big Beard and Bald Head - I love it!
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 04:30:56 PM »
I use head and only had this problem once when I had too much water on my head.
First started shaving my head on the 9th October 2014