Author Topic: I want to get a tattoo but I am afraid what people will say  (Read 24347 times)

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
Re: I want to get a tattoo but I am afraid what people will say
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2013, 05:21:22 AM »
Although I understand your concerns about others' reactions, I have to wonder whether they are more concerned about your HAPPINESS or your APPEARANCE.

If they are more concerned about your appearance that's quite superficial. Particularly if the subject is a tat which can easily be covered if needed.

I dealt with the same issues until I realized it is my life, it is my happiness. The people I spend time (now) with are with me because they want to be with me, regardless of shaved head, septum ring, being tall, etc.

I would wager that if you get the tat and it becomes part of you, you will find new self-confidence.

YOUR life will be so much more fulfilling when you can live honestly, being who you really are.

"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2013, 04:55:54 PM »
I would love to get one myself.  It sounds like you have thought about it for quite a while, you know what you want and you know where you want it.... that seems to be what I can't decide for myself.

If you are concerned with what others would think.  I agree with Hingatoo when he said you could get a small one that will easily transition into the larger one you want.  This will allow you and others time to get used to it, plus allow you to move forward with it. 

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2013, 08:35:43 AM »
I'll start off by admitting that I am not a fan of tattoos, but if it is what you want, and you have given yourself time to consider all the pros and cons of it, then I say go do it.

I like the advice the gentlemen before have offered about starting off with a small piece of what you ultimately want to do. To me, that makes a lot of sense, given that this is something permanent you are going to do to your skin.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline Southworth14

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 08:19:40 AM »
I gt my first tattoo at age 50 after wanting one for 30 years.  Now I have two half sleeves, easily covered if I want, or easy to show in a t-shirt or sleeveless shirt.  So if you want it, go for it.  The three quarter sleeve shown will take about 16-20 hours to complete or 3 to 4 sittings.  All the best.

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2013, 09:20:55 AM »
I gt my first tattoo at age 50 after wanting one for 30 years.  Now I have two half sleeves, easily covered if I want, or easy to show in a t-shirt or sleeveless shirt.  So if you want it, go for it.  The three quarter sleeve shown will take about 16-20 hours to complete or 3 to 4 sittings.  All the best.

Got any photos to share?
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline BBCESQ

• Sly
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2013, 11:04:40 AM »
I have 3 and want more, I would love a sleeve but as an attorney that is a problem.  It's one thing not to care about what other people think about you, but because my job depends on me making a good impression to a decision maker, I try not to appear unprofessional.

That being said, my partner is not crazy about them, but I am the one who has to live with it.  I did not want to go through my life having wanted a tattoo and not being able to get one because my partner would disapprove.  That would just make me resent him.

I can tell you that my first one was small, but my second one was quite large.  I was very self conscious about the second one for quite some time.  By the time I got the 3rd (also on the large side), I kept forgetting about it after it healed until I looked down. 

Offline Ozz2012

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2014, 04:35:41 PM »
I've thought more and more about getting a tattoo (or more) over the last few years.  I think the popularity of several TV shows (Best Ink, Ink Master, etc) and the fact that they've become more widely accepted even in so called "professional" environments makes it seem a little more accessible.

My biggest problem is that I REALLY want to make sure that I'm choosing the right design...speak now or forever hold your peace, if you know what I mean.

Also, I live in a small area where the few tattoo  places in my town aren't exactly filled with world class artists...so it would involve me making a long distance trip in order to make sure I get an artist of the right caliber (and believe me...if I'm going to have a tattoo put on me...even a simple one, I'm willing to pay for the best person, not just walk into a random place and have the first person who approaches me at the counter be my artist).

People who live in larger cities are lucky in some ways....that being one of them...there are a larger number of tattoo parlors and (usually) a higher caliber of artist available.

Offline DOC_OSMC

• Bald and Bearded
  • Super Sly
  • Pleasure's a sin, and sometimes sin's a pleasure.
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2014, 05:02:57 PM »
I have to agree with the sentiments of the others are it is a personal decision that you have to make, no one can and will should make it for you, it's you're life not theirs. Granted you want the support of your partner, but you have to think, is he disapproving because he's not gonna like it in you or is he disapproving because he's gonna feel embarrassed to be seen with someone tattooed? If it's the latter, then that's pretty superficial. As far as your parents go, they'll still love you just the same. If not, then they are the ones with the issues.

I got my first tattoo at 26 after I split up with my ex-wife. I finally decided no one is gonna tell me what I should or shouldn't have. Since then, as you can see from the pics, I've gotten several more, including my chest, and at 42 plan to get more. I work in a fairly conservative environment but have had no issues covering up the chest tattoo when I need to. I'm also a biker and that's never seemed to affect what I do.

I also don't believe in going small. Go big or go home as the saying goes! If you're gonna do it, you gotta go all in.

Live life, don't let life live you.
My granddaddy once told me, "If you can't hack it, gecho' jacket!"

Offline Ta2Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Guy in Training
    • ta2guy.org
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2014, 06:09:34 PM »
Daven has it exactly right: Other people's opinions of me are none of my business.

I have gotten this question quite a few times over the years I have been tattooed:

What in the HELL were you thinking?

I have a simple reply:

I was thinking that my tattoos are none of YOUR f***ing business!

That usually ends the conversation.

BTW I would be gentler to my grandmother, but she would never have asked ANYONE such a question!

http://ta2guy.org/regret.htm

Offline Lith

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2014, 11:10:30 PM »
Take my grandma's favorite advice :  "what other people think of you is none of your business"
Awsome quote.. Thank your grandmother. I'm going to spread this to my little social network lol.

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2014, 07:14:56 AM »
Daven has it exactly right: Other people's opinions of me are none of my business.

I have gotten this question quite a few times over the years I have been tattooed:

I have a simple reply:

BTW I would be gentler to my grandmother, but she would never have asked ANYONE such a question!

Ta2Guy - thanks for sharing this. I really enjoyed reading about your journey. I especially liked the "When I'm Sixty-four" piece.
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline Ta2Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Guy in Training
    • ta2guy.org
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2014, 01:44:49 PM »
I have a simple reply:

Ta2Guy - thanks for sharing this. I really enjoyed reading about your journey. I especially liked the "When I'm Sixty-four" piece.

Thanks to you as well Mike.

As for getting tattooed at age 50, below is my third of four tattoos, including my first, I got while I was fifty.

That one took three very long (for me at least) sessions totaling about ten hours.

Getting that one unleashed me completely to get all the ink and all the piercings I wanted.   http://ta2guy.org/holeyguy.htm

And you would not believe how much fun you can have being bald and tattooed.

I regularly have people approach me in restaurants, in malls, and once at an art show, wanting to take a picture of me.  At the art show, one of the artists complained (jokingly, I think) that I was getting more attention than his art.

After completing a regular checkup in 2013, Dr. Gary asked me if he could take a picture of me. He had it all arranged and brought in one of his nurses.  They put me in his lab coat and took my picture and then his.

He then posted these and some more pictures of the two of us in the clinic employee's lounge.

The points are:  No One is too young to be bald!  No One is too old to get a tattoo!  Try doing both!, you probably WILL like it!

Offline BBCESQ

• Sly
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2014, 01:56:39 PM »

As for getting tattooed at age 50, below is my third of four tattoos, including my first, I got while I was fifty.

I have always loved that piece.  That is an awesome tat!

Offline Ta2Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Guy in Training
    • ta2guy.org
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2014, 04:25:50 PM »
I have 3 and want more, I would love a sleeve but as an attorney that is a problem.  It's one thing not to care about what other people think about you, but because my job depends on me making a good impression to a decision maker, I try not to appear unprofessional.

That being said, my partner is not crazy about them, but I am the one who has to live with it.  I did not want to go through my life having wanted a tattoo and not being able to get one because my partner would disapprove.  That would just make me resent him.

I can tell you that my first one was small, but my second one was quite large.  I was very self conscious about the second one for quite some time.  By the time I got the 3rd (also on the large side), I kept forgetting about it after it healed until I looked down. 

I'm glad you like Don Quixote. I love the art itself, but I also love the sentiments behind it.

I am a retired (since 2007) attorney and I had all of the ink I now have except my hands, neck and head while I was still in active practice.

I practiced law in a small West Texas town and everyone knew about my tattoo, particularly after an article about me was published in the magazine Tattoo in 2004. When I wore a long sleeved shirt, my ink was hidden except that a little bit of my arm tattoos would slip out from time to time. No one ever commented of the little show of ink, but I really stirred up the lawyers in my local bar (in a pretty good way) and never believed it caused me a problem professionally.

There is a district judge in Houston who is heavily tattooed.

Both of the people in this picture are prominent attorneys in their communities (the man practices mostly in federal courts in San Francisco).

I believe you can be a successful lawyer and get all of the tattoos you want as long as you stop two or three inches above your wrists and a little below your neck and no one will ever know as long as you stay buttoned up, remove your septum ring, and avoid appearing in tattoo magazines!

Offline BBCESQ

• Sly
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2014, 07:19:26 AM »

I'm glad you like Don Quixote. I love the art itself, but I also love the sentiments behind it.

I am a retired (since 2007) attorney and I had all of the ink I now have except my hands, neck and head while I was still in active practice.

I practiced law in a small West Texas town and everyone knew about my tattoo, particularly after an article about me was published in the magazine Tattoo in 2004. When I wore a long sleeved shirt, my ink was hidden except that a little bit of my arm tattoos would slip out from time to time. No one ever commented of the little show of ink, but I really stirred up the lawyers in my local bar (in a pretty good way) and never believed it caused me a problem professionally.

There is a district judge in Houston who is heavily tattooed.

Both of the people in this picture are prominent attorneys in their communities (the man practices mostly in federal courts in San Francisco).

I believe you can be a successful lawyer and get all of the tattoos you want as long as you stop two or three inches above your wrists and a little below your neck and no one will ever know as long as you stay buttoned up, remove your septum ring, and avoid appearing in tattoo magazines!

Thanks for the shot of confidence.  I think I'm ready to get my 4th tat in the next month or so. 

Enter your email address: