Author Topic: If you could go to live in another country....  (Read 19143 times)

Offline PeripheralxMvmnt

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • A vida não é ruim.
    • Program Hound
Re: If you could go to live in another country....
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2009, 12:27:23 PM »
Mrs. Mvmnt and I have been discussing where to live after we move out of our new house (moving march 27th!) in 10 or so years, and we are discussing moving to her home country of Brazil. Either to Sao Paulo or Rio Grande do Sul. Its a beautiful country, and its, well, putting it bluntly, bad ass. haha. The environment and the atmosphere is something else.

But needless to say, leaving the US, no matter the political scene, would be extremely difficult.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/080816/sampace1aad00c2d75ff.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2009, 12:31:00 PM »
Costa del Sol in Spain.

That makes 2 votes for Andalucia!

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2009, 05:18:11 AM »
I LOVE the USA and can't even imagine ever leaving it. I love everything that we stand for and in many respects are.

As the mighty Booted Bear said..... where else can you have differing opinions that you can relate so freely to others? I share many of the same political opinions as Hammer but that doesn't mean that I can't like people who feel differently.

Back during election time I had some nice discussions off line with Darrell (Red) about politics. Darrell and I probably couldn't be any more different but our discussions were respectful, educated, and even pointed...... I admire him for his differences. My point? So what....we're different. That's what makes the USA great.

MOST of the people aren't the problem....... the politicians, in both major parties, are the problem.

One more thing....... Hammer made the point that someone complained to a Mod about a point he made. For goodness sake guys.... we're men here..... Politely PM a guy if you have a problem with a post he made. My guess is that the majority of the time a couple of PM's back and foth will clear the air.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline The Scottish Ambassador

• Scottish Ambassador to SBG!
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2009, 08:18:47 AM »
I LOVE the USA and can't even imagine ever leaving it. I love everything that we stand for and in many respects are.

As the mighty Booted Bear said..... where else can you have differing opinions that you can relate so freely to others? I share many of the same political opinions as Hammer but that doesn't mean that I can't like people who feel differently.

Back during election time I had some nice discussions off line with Darrell (Red) about politics. Darrell and I probably couldn't be any more different but our discussions were respectful, educated, and even pointed...... I admire him for his differences. My point? So what....we're different. That's what makes the USA great.

MOST of the people aren't the problem....... the politicians, in both major parties, are the problem.

One more thing....... Hammer made the point that someone complained to a Mod about a point he made. For goodness sake guys.... we're men here..... Politely PM a guy if you have a problem with a post he made. My guess is that the majority of the time a couple of PM's back and foth will clear the air.

Mike

I wasnt meaning for any of us to have a go at our respective countries. Perhaps I should have asked "Where is your favourite holiday destination and why?"
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2009, 08:25:13 AM »
I love the USA....but if I were to live in another country, it would be Canada.  Admittedly I have only been in British Columbia.  But I like Canada for several reasons, my dad's ancestors were from Quebec.  Also Canada would not take too much adjusting too.  I know it is not exactly like the USA and has a uniqueness in some of its' culture.  But I would really love to live in Vancouver, BC.  It is so BEAUTIFUL!!!!!  It is like Seattle on steroids.  The mountains are WAY closer to downtown, which makes for a beautiful backdrop.  In fact, when you travel north from Vancouver, the mountains hug the ocean all the way up to Alaska.  So you have this big city perched on the edge of the wilderness.  Plus Vancouver is the home of the 2010 Winter Olympics.  I was fortunate in the 1980's to live just south of the Canadian border and get up there often at that time!  Here are some pics of Vancouver!

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2009, 08:54:05 AM »

Mike

I wasnt meaning for any of us to have a go at our respective countries. Perhaps I should have asked "Where is your favourite holiday destination and why?"

I realize that Stephen..... my bad for the way I worded my post.

If I had to pick another country I think it would be Greece........
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline joergHH

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2009, 10:09:40 AM »

Mike

[/quote]

In Europe: Northern Germany (where I live  :*)) ) and France.

Others: NZ!!!!!  ;D

J

Offline Mike

• Sly genetics guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Facebook
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2009, 12:46:05 PM »
I have been thinking about this alot since I am at the age where I am not really "tied down" with anything. When I was in high school I took a Russian class and thought it would be great to live there but then I talked to some people and they said its not as great as it seems. Then I was thinking maybe Canada because its still close to the US and all but its too cold.
 Now I am thinking about either Australia or Holland. Australia because its beutiful there and so exotic, warm all the time, and it just seems cool. But they have tons of poisonous spiders and snakes, its hot all the time, and they have almost no aviculture, by that I mean they only have a few pheasant species and the breeds of domestic poultry they have are nothing compared to the US.

Holland because its a nuetral country and very pretty also, they have loads and loads of aviculture and some of my online friends live there that are basically bird geniuses. They have all of the birds that alot of people in the US can only dream of. The downside is that its cold, I would be far from family and friends,  and they mainly speak Dutch.

If I had to move anywhere in the US I have been thinking maybe Texas, its warm and lots of exotic game.

Offline Dome of Steele

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2009, 01:50:06 PM »
I could name 10 places that I'd live.  Such a big world, with so little time to explore it. 
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090813/sampff0212de70bbab6a.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline samoanseb8

• Sly Jr.
  • when life hands you lemons...?
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2009, 03:51:20 PM »
As a current resident and Citizen of Australia I can say that It is an absolutely awesome place to live. It is a lot like American in the respect that everyone is allowed their freedom of choice, and the people here are extremely friendly and supportive. The weather is awesome year round and the beaches are too! As for the deadly spiders and snakes etc...yes there are certain species of deadly snakes, but If you really want to find one, you would have to travel to the center of the desert to even have a chance of running into one, there are spiders around in summer, but contrary to popular belief, they are harmless and most people leave them alone...;)

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2009, 04:45:35 PM »
I have been thinking about this alot since I am at the age where I am not really "tied down" with anything. When I was in high school I took a Russian class and thought it would be great to live there but then I talked to some people and they said its not as great as it seems. Then I was thinking maybe Canada because its still close to the US and all but its too cold.
 Now I am thinking about either Australia or Holland. Australia because its beutiful there and so exotic, warm all the time, and it just seems cool. But they have tons of poisonous spiders and snakes, its hot all the time, and they have almost no aviculture, by that I mean they only have a few pheasant species and the breeds of domestic poultry they have are nothing compared to the US.

Holland because its a nuetral country and very pretty also, they have loads and loads of aviculture and some of my online friends live there that are basically bird geniuses. They have all of the birds that alot of people in the US can only dream of. The downside is that its cold, I would be far from family and friends,  and they mainly speak Dutch.

If I had to move anywhere in the US I have been thinking maybe Texas, its warm and lots of exotic game.

My best friend is from Holland, she always says that you would be surprised how many people in Holland speak near perfect english. It may be a nice place to visit though, even if you didn't want to live there.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2009, 06:44:25 PM »
My best friend is from Holland, she always says that you would be surprised how many people in Holland speak near perfect english. .

This reminded me of my very first trip to Europe, and we'd usually take a half day or less tour of the major cities to get oriented to the place.  At the end of the morning tour of Amsterdam one of the ladies in our tour group commented to the young woman who was our guide and spoke unaccented American English, "You speak English perfectly!"  Replied the young lady, "We have to, not many people in the world speak Dutch!" ;D ;D ;D

I think of that young lady very often when some in our country get on a soap box and in their own fractured brand of the Bard's tongue to condemn anyone who doesn't speak "English" in America.  The Dutch are world traders, one of the largest seaports, if not the largest, and they understand at a very fundamental level that to do business in the world requires the ability to communicate in the customer's language whether in the Netherlands or abroad.  They are like many Europeans, Asians, etc., who all learned English to trade with America.  I wonder if anyone in our country is seeing a pattern?  Just a thought, not a challenge to anyone's beliefs!

Offline Mike

• Sly genetics guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Facebook
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2009, 12:11:35 PM »
As a current resident and Citizen of Australia I can say that It is an absolutely awesome place to live. It is a lot like American in the respect that everyone is allowed their freedom of choice, and the people here are extremely friendly and supportive. The weather is awesome year round and the beaches are too! As for the deadly spiders and snakes etc...yes there are certain species of deadly snakes, but If you really want to find one, you would have to travel to the center of the desert to even have a chance of running into one, there are spiders around in summer, but contrary to popular belief, they are harmless and most people leave them alone...;)

I will have to look more into it, I met a couple people online from AUS and now I have more questions for them.

My best friend is from Holland, she always says that you would be surprised how many people in Holland speak near perfect english. .

This reminded me of my very first trip to Europe, and we'd usually take a half day or less tour of the major cities to get oriented to the place.  At the end of the morning tour of Amsterdam one of the ladies in our tour group commented to the young woman who was our guide and spoke unaccented American English, "You speak English perfectly!"  Replied the young lady, "We have to, not many people in the world speak Dutch!" ;D ;D ;D

I think of that young lady very often when some in our country get on a soap box and in their own fractured brand of the Bard's tongue to condemn anyone who doesn't speak "English" in America.  The Dutch are world traders, one of the largest seaports, if not the largest, and they understand at a very fundamental level that to do business in the world requires the ability to communicate in the customer's language whether in the Netherlands or abroad.  They are like many Europeans, Asians, etc., who all learned English to trade with America.  I wonder if anyone in our country is seeing a pattern?  Just a thought, not a challenge to anyone's beliefs!

Thats funny that you say that. I have been slowly learning dutch from various sites that have info that I want so I go to a translator and figure out what words are what. I was talking to my genetics friend and was practicing some of my Dutch and he said that I speak 'chicken Dutch' that only poultry people would know. Then I went to a Dutch poultry message board and asked for help with my Dutch skills and everyone there spoke English and said that most people there are multi-lingual.

Now I just need to start looking for potential employment and housing and many other things. I am pretty sure I dont want to stay here in Eastern Washington, the snow was all melted away then the other day it started snowing again and now we have like an inch of snow with strong winds and a high in the upper teens. I hate the cold, lol.

Offline Dome of Steele

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2009, 07:00:15 PM »

Holland isn't a neutral country.  As a member of NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Org) they have troops in Afghanistan.  You might be thinking of Switzerland, which has not fought a military conflict since 12-something, or Austria, which has neutrality as part of its constitution (since the US helped them write the post WWII constitution too). 

Austria, as a member of the EU, may arguably not be truly neutral anymore.  But I would visit or live in all three of them if I had a job lined up there. 

If you were to pick one non-native English country that had the best English, I would say it's a toss up between Holland and Sweden.  They both speak excellent English, and have American English shows broadcasted on their televisions (many other of the stations overdub their native language). 

I would say in Europe, the farther north you go, the greater the amount of English speaking ability is present. 
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090813/sampff0212de70bbab6a.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline Ian

• UK Baldie
  • Super Sly
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2009, 12:47:20 AM »
Well i have been to 3 different places in USA, San Francisco,Miami & Las Vegas...i dont know about living in them particular places but so far i love America.In July we are of to New York for 5 Days & cant wait.
I knew I was going bald when it was taking longer and longer to wash my face