Author Topic: Bad barbershop experience. Lesson Learned  (Read 4241 times)

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Bad barbershop experience. Lesson Learned
« on: January 21, 2017, 09:44:42 AM »
This morning, I was checking out some posts in a Facebook group that myself and a few of the other members here are members of called "Men with Beards" A member had a bad experience and wound up getting too much of his beard cut off, but the haircut was bad as well (his words).

Now, on to my bad experience. On January 5, I had about a week's growth and was too lazy to shave, so I went to one of my usual places in town for a headshave and beard shape up. There were 10 people waiting on the two experienced barbers, but there was a guy who I guess was a "trainee" that had no one waiting, so I gave him a try, because many of the other guys who were in training did a decent job

I told the guy I wanted a razor headshave, but he said he couldn't do it. So he clippered it down as low as possible. That part I could forgive, but I just told the guy to shape up my beard on the outside and scissor out the gray hairs. I lost about 1/2 to 1" width, and he cut the scissors so deep, he missed spots and the other barber had to "guide" him the rest of the way.

As tempting as it was to get angry, I thought to myself. Maybe this is the time to stop being lazy and either a. find one permanent barber or b. start shaving my own head more and go to someone I trust when/if it's time for a beard job. Since that bad experience (I did give the guy $1 as a consolation tip), I've been shaving my own head. In fact, my friend's father passed away last month and he gave me several packs of unopened safety razors totaling about 120! With all of these free safety razors, I think I will do it myself for a while and just scissor my own beard as needed. I do plan to go to a barbershop again eventually. but I think my beard needs a break from the chair for a while.

Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Themightyjuice

• Sly Jr.
Re: Bad barbershop experience. Lesson Learned
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 10:37:54 AM »
Before I started buzzing and shaving my head I had an excellent barber who I trusted for my beard. No one else got near it. After I started doing my own hair I stopped going. He was quite a bit away from me and I didn't want to travel miles just for a quick shape up so I started to teach myself (to the detriment of many a beard). I found YouTube very helpful for little tutorials and from there I discovered a device which I now class as a God send. It's called the 'Groomarang'. It's a little plastic device that has curves which you can place against your face and shave or clipper it your face. Basically it's a shaping template. Takes a bit of getting used to but works very very well. As for the scissor work I got barber scissors for trimming and little curved edge scissors for the stache area and lip line. When it comes to my head I won't let anyone near it. I just dont trust anyone enough to shave my head or touch my beard now. I like my head shaving ritual and love my moto and as for the beard, I'm getting pretty damn good at shaping, trimming and blending now.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 02:04:04 PM »
Before I started buzzing and shaving my head I had an excellent barber who I trusted for my beard. No one else got near it. After I started doing my own hair I stopped going. He was quite a bit away from me and I didn't want to travel miles just for a quick shape up so I started to teach myself (to the detriment of many a beard). I found YouTube very helpful for little tutorials and from there I discovered a device which I now class as a God send. It's called the 'Groomarang'. It's a little plastic device that has curves which you can place against your face and shave or clipper it your face. Basically it's a shaping template. Takes a bit of getting used to but works very very well. As for the scissor work I got barber scissors for trimming and little curved edge scissors for the stache area and lip line. When it comes to my head I won't let anyone near it. I just dont trust anyone enough to shave my head or touch my beard now. I like my head shaving ritual and love my moto and as for the beard, I'm getting pretty damn good at shaping, trimming and blending now.

I've heard of those...Are these sold in stores, or do you have to purchase them online?

Offline Themightyjuice

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 04:43:40 PM »
I bought mine online from amazon. Cost about £15 which is what...? $20 ish. I feel it's worth it, especially for the symmetry. The biggest part I struggled with was shaping from my side burns past my jaw. My beard grows in different directions on each side of my face. The left side it grows straight down and on the right it kind of grows across the way and can look really untidy just below my ear. I use the tool to keep a nice straight edge and trim the hair. I have an set of wahl detailer clippers which are fantastic for shaping, especially the neckline.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 05:09:00 PM »
Cool. Thanks for the info.