Author Topic: Happy Veterans Day  (Read 2494 times)

Offline BigKen

• Super Sly
Happy Veterans Day
« on: November 11, 2016, 07:20:14 AM »
To any fellow Sly Bald Guys member who has served or continues to serve America, Happy Veterans Day. To make extraordinary sacrifices for a country that’s so divided is one of, if not the best gift you have given! I sincerely thank you, and may God bless you all.

Offline dshupe

• Sly
Re: Happy Veterans Day
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 07:39:42 AM »
To any fellow Sly Bald Guys member who has served or continues to serve America, Happy Veterans Day. To make extraordinary sacrifices for a country that’s so divided is one of, if not the best gift you have given! I sincerely thank you, and may God bless you all.

WELL SAID!!  Happy Veterans Day!!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 09:13:46 AM »
Thanks guys! And a big special salute to all of our current and former servicemen!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
  • Outdoorsman, Officer, Saved by Jesus Christ
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 09:17:10 AM »
+1

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 09:03:25 AM »
Thanks guys.  When I first joined the Navy in 1979 people weren't very kind to servicemen.  There were signs on some people's lawns in Norfolk that read; "Dogs and Sailors Keep Off the Grass".  And, I was twice refused service in restaurants because I was in uniform.

Even though the Cold  War was raging and we were often in harms way, (although I am still sworn to secrecy about it), the country didn't appreciate us very much and kept cutting our benefits over the next 10 years.  It wasn't until they NEEDED people for their follies in Iraq, Afghanistan, the Horn of Africa, etc. that they suddenly reinstated benefits and gave raises in pay.

So, it is really nice now when people thank me for my 36 years of service.

Offline BigKen

• Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 04:12:59 PM »
Thanks guys.  When I first joined the Navy in 1979 people weren't very kind to servicemen.  There were signs on some people's lawns in Norfolk that read; "Dogs and Sailors Keep Off the Grass".  And, I was twice refused service in restaurants because I was in uniform.

Even though the Cold  War was raging and we were often in harms way, (although I am still sworn to secrecy about it), the country didn't appreciate us very much and kept cutting our benefits over the next 10 years.  It wasn't until they NEEDED people for their follies in Iraq, Afghanistan, the Horn of Africa, etc. that they suddenly reinstated benefits and gave raises in pay.

So, it is really nice now when people thank me for my 36 years of service.

That's terrible Semi-Sly, and I'm sorry you experienced that discrimination! I can't comprehend why anyone would be hostile towards anyone who's livelihood is based on saving people's lives. I'm glad you appreciate the gratitude as you deserve many thanks. Servicepeople, EMTs and and firefighters are the best in my book.