Author Topic: Bald by choice in my early twenties - premature or futuristic?  (Read 8357 times)

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
  • Outdoorsman, Officer, Saved by Jesus Christ
Bald by choice in my early twenties - premature or futuristic?
« on: November 01, 2016, 07:19:23 AM »
Hello Y'all, my name is Christian. I am a Christian. Im in my very early twenties, and I have been experiencing slightly thinning hair for the past five or so years.

I have noticed each time i trim my own hair that the top is thinning out significantly. To the point that in every family or friend photo, sunlight goes right down and shows my scalp. This doesnt bother anyone else but its really taken a toll on my self esteem. Which i dont normally have a problem maintaining.

Saturday i took the plunge and shaved to the skin, after a very crappy walmart trimmer messed up my routine hair trimming. I usually keep my hair trimmed with a 7 guard on top and a 3 on the sides. 4-6 to blend on the top/sides.  The cheap trimmer i bought botched my head so i said screw it and threw in the towel. After buzzing down with a 0 guard i grabbed my regular electric shaver for my facial hair and went to town. I was shocked at how little red spotting and irritation there was. Lotioned it after, and shaved again the next day, followed by lotion. Shaved again that night and lotioned again. Now im on day 2 without a shave and its growing fast but im going to have to shave tonight before its too long for the shaver to cut. I a panasonic Arc 4 $200 shaver, works quite well.

So im a bad-donkey dude now i suppose. My dad went bald at 19 and has been shaving ever since. He found a wife and raised kids. My biggest concern being a early twenties Christian male is how am i going to find a girl. Ive sadly looked up info on if girls really care if a guy is bald or has luscious locks of hair, and it seems that the information provided is either fabricated in attempts to boost self esteem artificially, or its a minority of a few girls that pity bald guys so they threw together a youtube video saying its ok and they dont mind.

Im bald by choice, i could have continued (still can i suppose) letting my hair grow and trimming it around a 7 guard length, but its thinning and im to the point where id like to face the future now instead of milking life out my poor head. If im going to be bald at 30, i might as well be bald now and face it now. And find a girl who likes me bald now that its not a problem when im 30!

Can anyone offer advice on how to get around the hurdle of worrying what others think of my head? Especially my guy friends will likely tease me and normally it doesnt bother me, but the biggest concern i have is if girls will ignore me because ive gone skinzo, or will they admire the initiative to face reality now rather than later? Obviously theres girls that just plain dont like bald heads, and thats fine, but will the majority care, so long as my personality/faith/character overwhelm the lack of locks?

Thanks

« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 12:42:53 PM by ThePangolin »

Offline dshupe

• Sly
Re: Bald by choice in my early twenties - premature or futuristic?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 07:32:09 AM »
Welcome to the group!  You really pull off the Sly look I must say.  Your beard looks great too!

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 08:18:27 AM »
 First off I learned the hard way to realize that worrying about what other people especially strangers think about me is really just my own pride and vanity the truth is the rest of the world really doesn't give a crap about me and they're not all stare at me anyway !    So once I fauned some humility that whole fear went away

Second anyone you meet just thinks that that is you they don't question it at all it without that fitting here to divert their gays it goes right to your eyes and you got great eyes buddy

third studies of shown in the case of heterosexual people that women actually find bald men to be more attractive more masculine more very island and someone with whom they would rather meet so you got that going for you is a plus    No in my case I'm still looking for love but I am bald by choice and I really do look better with a flat top then with a shaved head and I'm a lot older than you are but still nobody's gonna be attracted to either you or me unless we feel good about ourselves and we feel confident about ourselves that's what's attractive confidence in and out going warm personality . 

The way for you to meet a good Christian girl is to be active in things at your church and just be involved in things you meet a girl who is just a friend and that's the girl that you'll wind up marrying.  some day. 

Another good thing is to join clubs  things you are interested in do you like bicycling do you like skiing do you like scuba diving whatever it is when you join a club you're going to be a lot of other single people that share your common interests and lo and behold one of those people will turn out to be the one for you!   My friend Mark met his wife because they were both members of the snow skiing club they been married for over 30 years now and their members of a bicycling club and two people of their bicycling club just met each other know they're getting married .   Mark and I are both also members of the flying club there are two couples that are flying club that meant because of their mutual interest in small airplanes and they're both married now .   Thing in common already sold the mutual interest in the subject matter of their club it so they had all a lot more going for them already than most people do when they're just picking up somebody blindly .

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 08:52:23 AM »
Thanks Semi-Sly, good insight on several points....

Im still young, but ahead of my years in some ways. One thing I haven't acheived to my own satisfaction is worrying less about what people think. Im a mix between introverted and extroverted. I like SMALL groups of people, and despise large groups or communities. Events, concerts, cities, etc are not my thing at all. I am a country boy, and i prefer a quiet, close relationship lifestyle. Still, i care too much of how strangers and even accquaintances see me. We should care to an extent, but not enough to let it alter how we need to be as an indivual so long as we are appropriate and presentable.

Youre right too about the love life aspect. I am as involved as i can be with my local church group, but i live an hour and a half from them, so its tough to make it everything. I travel as far as 800 miles someitmes to see friends in other states, but I haven't yet made friends from other church groups locally for fear of religious differences which id like to avoid.

I dont have much for hobbies, although im an avid hunter and all things weaponry. I love my guns, throwing knives, throwing hatchets, blowguns, compound bows, and hand guns.

Currently im working on cutting fat and bulking. Im a pretty big guy as is but id like to take the bald opportunity to get further jacked. Might enhance my persona. And who knows, might meet people at gyms, although i usually workout at home.

THanks again for your input! And Dont be discouraged with your situation.... a man from our church group got married a few years ago, in his seventies, to a woman in her seventies from Brazil. Anything is possible! Good things come to those who wait. (Advice i need to take myself!)

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 11:54:53 AM »
Welcome to the group! I must say, the beard goes well with your sly head. As for others, it may be an issue for a little while, but in time, it won't matter to you nor them. And, since your dad is already bald, you can turn to him for advice and tips if need be.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 12:38:42 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate it.

And absolutely, i turn to my dad a lot for advice and comfort in everything. He's been SUPER supportive of me making the move to embrace baldness rather than avoid it. After all, he was bald at 19 inevitably, so he's probably proud i match with him. Lol, we look like twins except he aged faster!

Adding photos to the original post. I haven't shaved in over 36 hours just to give my head a break in case it might get irritated at first, so i apologize i dont have a true shiner in the pics. Lol
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 12:44:36 PM by ThePangolin »

Offline Gosh_the_Second

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 01:22:41 PM »
Last picture is avatar worthy. Too cool to lose in the thread.

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 01:25:17 PM »
Last picture is avatar worthy. Too cool to lose in the thread.

Haha thanks man, i suppose ill switch it!

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 01:44:33 PM »
Welcome.  Just be yourself and you will do fine with the ladies.  It is common these days for guys to wear short, buzzed, and shaved heads.  At some point, you will need to give a razor blade a try.  You will love the smooth feeling and no electric razor can give that to you.  BTW, keep the facial hair.  In fact, I suggest you "expand" it a bit with a lower neckline and higher cheek lines.  Consider going for more length on the beard as well.  You can always change it up a bit, but at least some facial hair, it helps offset the lack of head hair.
SlyBeard

Offline SlyMike

• Ad Free VIP
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Big Beard and Bald Head - I love it!
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 02:33:21 PM »
Just be yourself and you'll be fine, you're a very good looking guy and the sly look is great for you.
First started shaving my head on the 9th October 2014

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 04:35:23 PM »
Welcome!
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 05:06:04 PM »
@sly_mike thank you, that made me feel good. Its one thing to like it yourself but to get some affirmation seals the deal, doesnt it?

@slybeard Thank you for the suggestion... i do plan to increase my beard's real estate, although i work as contract private security and im technically not supposed to have any facial hair at all... ive gotten by so far, somehow, and i dont want to push it! We'll see how much i can get away with!

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 07:42:40 PM »
Welcome. Your bald photos look great. 

Good to get advise from your dad.  Sounds like you have a good relationship. He knows the good of a bald head. I've seen a few photos of bald father and son and I think they are really cool.

When you are ready, get the razor blade out and go for a super smooth head.  That really sold me on BBC.

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2016, 08:57:56 PM »
No before and after shots to compare, but the after suits for face shape.  Good decision, IMHO.

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2016, 07:28:01 AM »
Thank you!

I am interested in trying a blade at some point, I just need to find the right blade option for what I'm willing to pay for cartridges. I'm used to basically shaving for free with electric shavers.