Author Topic: Being bald at 19, will this make dating around my age very difficult?  (Read 18178 times)

Offline BeaveCake

• Learning the way of Sly
I'm 19, and after close family death I got a condition where hair diffusely thins, and I lost about 70% of scalp density. Usually it's only temporary but mine aged the follicles so they won't return. So I opted to shave it to the skin. Personally I don't mind it but I made the mistake of looking on baldtruthtalk and seeing guys who say any woman below 30 won't even look at you. (You can see the issue) so from other young guys experience with hairloss, do women in their 20's really stay away from the bare scalp or have you been successful. Truthfully if I knew I could still get an attractive girl young I would not give a crap about the lost hair.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Being bald at 19, will this make dating around my age very difficult?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 11:12:48 AM »
Welcome to the board!

First, condolences on the loss of your loved one. Secondly, what we try to convince people is that a bald (or balding) head is not a curse in life. Many of our members are below thirty and have gone on to have great relationships, and even marriages, because they were confident in themselves, and realize that a woman who won't give you the time of day because of your hairstyle probably isn't worth your time. Personally, I had shaved bald in my younger days, and I was still able to go out with women because I felt good about myself all around. Stick around for some of the discussions, and we can help here. Good luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 11:16:41 AM »
My thoughts ... if a lady can't handle a bald head, she probably also cannot handle other more important things in life. 

I look around my community and I see a whole bunch of young men who either buzz very short or shave their heads, and they all have girlfriends or wives. 

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 12:29:30 AM »
Your haircut is irrelevant; it is all about "attitude".  If you have good hygiene, dress in clean clothes, and carry yourself with confidence; (not cockiness, but confidence); potential dates will most certainly notice you.

After that it is all about the real you.  If you are a stand-up kind of guy who treats a girl with respect, listens to her, and shows her those nice little considerations that a girl likes; the girls will most certainly notice that too!

After that, the good ones will stick around and the not-so good ones will know that they are "swimming in the deep end of the pool" and will drift off and look for a guy who is not as together as you are.

Offline SlyMike

• Ad Free VIP
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Big Beard and Bald Head - I love it!
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 01:10:26 AM »
I agree with what others have said, it is about the real you not how you look.
First started shaving my head on the 9th October 2014

Offline Quiet_Dan

• Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 02:40:34 AM »
Welcome! I don't think being shaved would stop a decent woman, just have confidence in yourself.
When I was mid 20's my girlfriend was a supporter of me shaving my head, which I started while dating her.
God created only a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair!

Offline Bilko1

• Super Sly
  • Glad To Be Bald-by-choice
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 05:20:53 AM »
First off, welcome young friend! You will find that the majority of guy's & gal's are very supportive on this great site. Be assured you are not here by accident!
Secondly, I am very sorry for your recent loss of a loved one. I have experienced similar as have a few folks here.
Thirdly, if you a re confident with your 'new' look, then dating will not be too much of a problem. Any woman that disses you because of lack of or loss of hair is not worth your attention, brother.
I first had my head shaved when I was about 20 and it didn't really affect any prospects of dating for me. I subsequently re-grew my hair for a while but ended up having my head shaved again at a later time.

I trust that this helps you a little.

All the best,

Bilko
BaldBill

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 09:26:23 AM »
I live in a college town and can tell you that here, many college age guys have clipper shaved buzz cuts or shaved heads, and many I assume are by choice.  So, while I do not have personal experience, I do see a lot of these guys with girls.  I think a shaved head has become so common these days it is a non-issue with dating.  But, if you let it bother you, you will not seem confident and that can be a turn off.  So if you sense a confidence issue, try so other things.  Work out and get in shape, dress well (or better), etc.  Ladies are attracted to guys with confidence.
SlyBeard

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 09:46:16 AM »
Nobody's touched on this part of the question yet but, and this is a serious point, don't write off the over 30 "women". The reason I put the "women" in quotes is because when you get into the over 30 set you are, for the most part, looking at an upgrade. You are dating a WOMAN, not a girl. There's an old saying that describes older women as "high mileage, low maintenance". She has probably been through at least one "long term commitment" and usually has a more realistic worldview. Your life will be simplified, you will receive a valuable education, and you'll have a lot of fun. So don't get all stressed out about girls when there are plenty of women out there looking to get a little sumthin'-sumthin' going with a younger guy.
So don't stress, little brother, at 19 the last thing you should be looking for is a wedding planner. Have fun while you're young enough to take advantage of it.
Women are looking at you, girls are looking at your hair.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 09:59:05 AM by buddha »
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline BeaveCake

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 11:55:18 AM »
Nobody's touched on this part of the question yet but, and this is a serious point, don't write off the over 30 "women". The reason I put the "women" in quotes is because when you get into the over 30 set you are, for the most part, looking at an upgrade. You are dating a WOMAN, not a girl. There's an old saying that describes older women as "high mileage, low maintenance". She has probably been through at least one "long term commitment" and usually has a more realistic worldview. Your life will be simplified, you will receive a valuable education, and you'll have a lot of fun. So don't get all stressed out about girls when there are plenty of women out there looking to get a little sumthin'-sumthin' going with a younger guy.
So don't stress, little brother, at 19 the last thing you should be looking for is a wedding planner. Have fun while you're young enough to take advantage of it.
Women are looking at you, girls are looking at your hair.

While I agree maturity definitely matters, I would actually like relationships in my 20's like most. And for me I could really only feasibly see dating 3-5 years older. So waiting until I'm 30 to get a girl at all is still defeat to me.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 11:22:50 PM »
Please - stop stressing and "distressing" yourself.

You are 19 years old -- NINETEEN!!!!!  You have the world by the tail!  Do you have any idea of the thousands of women you are going to meet and the hundreds of adventures you are going to have in the next 20 years - IF you just let yourself have them?

Don't waste one more precious minute of your 19 year old self worrying about your hair.  Just go out and find some adventure!  Take a big handful grab at life and pull really hard - the whole world is out there just waiting for you; YOU!  So get out there and start grabbing!  Along the way one great girl is going to notice that you are a guy who grabs for the important things in life and she is going to grab ahold of you - and she won't let go either!

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 01:18:34 AM »
So waiting until I'm 30 to get a girl at all is still defeat to me.

Seriously, that's the point you think I was trying to make? Best of luck in all future endeavors.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline football guy

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 07:25:10 AM »
In my experience, being bald wont influence your dating prospects.
When I met my wife, I had shaved my head for sport. I grew it back, but she constantly
commented on how better I looked bald.
Ive had my head bald now for 5 years and am married with with two kids, (im 26)

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 09:02:00 AM »
There are several of us here that are 60ish , don't you guys wish you had that problem of being 19 and bald? I know I do.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline BeaveCake

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 11:17:31 AM »
So waiting until I'm 30 to get a girl at all is still defeat to me.

Seriously, that's the point you think I was trying to make? Best of luck in all future endeavors.

I guess I may have mistakenly taken it as 'most in their 20's wouldn't or aren't mature' I'm not saying there is anything wrong with a 30 year old gal just that (while I wouldn't mind a girl a few years my senior) 30's is a pretty big gap for 19. If I was 27 then yeah I wouldn't care but I'm sure you understand what I meant. Honestly the hair only affects my confidence with ladies. I still go to all the events, never try to hide it with hats or anything etc and I'm one of the youngest skydivers in the state so I haven't let it stop me otherwise.