Author Topic: Bald by choice man struggling  (Read 25070 times)

Offline thatfella

• Sly Jr.
Bald by choice man struggling
« on: June 27, 2013, 11:12:39 AM »
Hey guys

Well I've been a bit quiet on the forum but have been logging in quite frequently and touching base with some fellow sly mates in my local area and just wondering how the heck do I ever become comfortable as a bald by choice sly guy?? I want this look and lifestyle so much but find so much resistance from everyone that I almost feel that I should give in to growing my hair back to a look I don't want! The struggle has been the inconsistency and convenience as I feel like there are certain periods where people don't care and other times where people feel like voicing their opinion on my bald by choice look. Any advice?????

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Bald by choice man struggling
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 11:40:39 AM »
If you give in to others' demands you will be annoyed with yourself for not standing your ground. If you stick with it and show no signs of wavering, the critics will eventually give up. I found that once I stopped caving in to other people's demands I was a lot happier.  Remember this is about YOU and not about anyone else.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 01:28:30 PM by Razor X »

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 11:44:53 AM »
I don't know how long you have been shaving, but it takes a while for family and Friends to make the adjustment.  Once they do they will be more accepting.  I think when the mental image of your appearance in their mind changes from hair to no hair, it will no longer be an issue.  Until the, hold firm.

For some, this may take several months.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 12:38:27 PM by slybeard »
SlyBeard

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 11:50:15 AM »
Instead of changing your "hairstyle", maybe you should give consideration as to who you associate with.
Don't mean to sound harsh, but why is it someone else's business how you wear your hair (or lack thereof)?

Also, read Razor's comment....profound words from a SBG veteran!

Good luck,
Schro

ps - the look is good on you. Stick with it.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 12:12:52 PM »
Hey guys

Well I've been a bit quiet on the forum but have been logging in quite frequently and touching base with some fellow sly mates in my local area and just wondering how the heck do I ever become comfortable as a bald by choice sly guy?? I want this look and lifestyle so much but find so much resistance from everyone that I almost feel that I should give in to growing my hair back to a look I don't want! The struggle has been the inconsistency and convenience
Your inconsistency in shaving your head? or Others inconsistency in making comments about your bald head?
as I feel like there are certain periods where people don't care and other times where people feel like voicing their opinion on my bald by choice look. Any advice?????

My immediately family did not 'care' for the shaved head at first, but I remained upbeat and positive about it.  Now they either like it, got used to is, or don't comment any more.

When I shaved my head, I put on a smile and with my attitude that this is the way it's going to be.  Perhaps it's the attitude, don't know, but people seem to like it.

Offline jdcsky

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 12:37:39 PM »
If you want to stay sly, it is easy. Shave your head. Live life. You are then bald by choice. Being Sly also means being comfortable with a bald head in your daily life. Shave your head, hold it high so everyone can see, let them know it was by choice and live life to the fullest.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 01:47:27 PM »
People assume that if you can grow a head of hair, you want a head of hair, so they don't understand your choice - and that's the important part: it's your choice not theirs.  If you like being sly, that's what matters.  As others have said, after a while, people stop commenting. 

My advice is the same as the others: if you like, stick with it.  If you like it, but give in to others and grow your hair back, what have you achieved?

isleepinthebuff

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 01:55:47 PM »
Do you like everyone's hair that you meet? I just wonder why it's such an issue? It's just a choice of hairstyle. If you grow it back the people that don't like it will be pleased and it'll be harder for you to shave it off again. As I say it's your hair, do what makes you feel comfortable

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 03:14:55 PM »
If you give in on this, what else will you give in on? Should you let others choose your clothing? What you're having for dinner? Who you date? Where you live? Where you work?

Slippery slope, my man.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 04:30:39 PM »
My first thought was to tell them just to shut up, but I suppose you want to stay on good terms with these people, so that might not be such a good idea.

It looks like you have been Sly for about a year.  Has this been going on all that time? Have you tried just responding firmly that you like the look and it is how you intend to stay?  You could follow up with what Slyest said:  It is only hair and a hairstyle that now is mainstream, so why is everyone making such a big deal over it?

The Sly look is good on you, by the way.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 04:35:56 PM by Cave Dweller »
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 09:58:30 PM »
I may be cynical....but they are going to harass you about it if they know it's bothering you. Whenever someone comments about your slyness, just simply say "Thanks for your concern, but I am happy with my current hairstyle" or, you can always just change the subject and turn the spotlight on them. Hang in there and good luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 10:07:08 PM »
I'd say just hang tight. They will get use to the look. And don't give in. you will regret that. Being sly is about having the balls to do what you want. That attitude goes with the look. Carefree!

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 03:32:16 AM »
Do what suits you mate,

If you wanna shave do so, and we will support you.

But you shouldn't feel pressured to shave or not, it's on you.
Lynchy

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 05:56:01 AM »
Be pleased that you have the confidence in yourself to appear as you want.  Ignore ugly comments and laugh at the teasing you may get.   It is you now.

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 12:43:44 PM »
As long as you enjoy it  - - -don't worry what others think - - -It is a great look on you. Keep it.