Author Topic: the bald look in academe  (Read 4178 times)

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
the bald look in academe
« on: November 19, 2006, 02:40:54 PM »
  ;D ;D Over the weekend, I attended a scholarly conference at a swank hotel in Boston-Cambridge, MA. There were about 400 attendees, two thirds of them male. Here are my observations from a bald shaver's perspective--informal but indicative. There wasn't a single toupee in sight, and only one conspicuous comb-over. Men in various stages ( cf. Norwood and other charts in Tyler's earlier thread) of balding were all au natural. I counted 15 total baldies, ranging in age from late twenties to seventies or older. There were also half a dozen chrome domes among the other guests and an equal number among the staff. It is definitely going mainstream in the professions.  Boston's sharp wind and coldness seem not to be  deterrents, although the bald look may be catching on faster in places like southern California and Florida. There was no correlation between bald-by-choice and class; it's catching on across the spectrum. Nice to sport the look in all contexts. I think it actually helped break the  ice with strangers  by focusing their attention on facial expression and the content of conversation, rather than on superficialities (hair).  Professor Melon

Embrace the bald truth

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: the bald look in academe
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 06:58:43 PM »
Great observations Melon!  I'm noticing more and more in the professional world that men have their head shaved.  It's not uncommon for me to have one more chrome dome in a meeting with me.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline David

• the v-train is coming through
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
Re: the bald look in academe
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 07:52:55 AM »
  ;D ;D Over the weekend, I attended a scholarly conference at a swank hotel in Boston-Cambridge, MA. There were about 400 attendees, two thirds of them male. Here are my observations from a bald shaver's perspective--informal but indicative. There wasn't a single toupee in sight, and only one conspicuous comb-over. Men in various stages ( cf. Norwood and other charts in Tyler's earlier thread) of balding were all au natural. I counted 15 total baldies, ranging in age from late twenties to seventies or older. There were also half a dozen chrome domes among the other guests and an equal number among the staff. It is definitely going mainstream in the professions.  Boston's sharp wind and coldness seem not to be  deterrents, although the bald look may be catching on faster in places like southern California and Florida. There was no correlation between bald-by-choice and class; it's catching on across the spectrum. Nice to sport the look in all contexts. I think it actually helped break the  ice with strangers  by focusing their attention on facial expression and the content of conversation, rather than on superficialities (hair).  Professor Melon

Personally, I think it makes all of us look more professional.    Plus as a teacher, it's great to save the time in the morning where you can just get up and go on days the stubble doesn't bug you, or if you get up later than you planned.
bald for life

Enter your email address: