Author Topic: What made you go bald?  (Read 283747 times)

Offline MC HammerHead

• "..I shouldn't have to tell you who I am...because who I am should be speaking for itself.."
  • Sly
  • Future's So Bright, Got To Wear Shades..and SPF 45
    • Downhillbillies
Re: What made you go bald?
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2006, 12:59:12 PM »
Dude!  One of the best trails in NC is in Sanford but its gnarly.  I will have to remember the name of it. 

I raced there in 1998.
MC HammerHead
Downhillbillies Skateboarding Organization
Woody's Halfpipe Board Shop Team
Pavel Skates Flow Team
Axe Army
Headblade Street Team
www.myspace.com/mchammerhead

KrasH

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2006, 01:21:09 AM »
Hi KrasH, and welcome to our "club".
I must say, you look very good with a shaven head, so you definitely made the right choice there. I also like the picture you're using (has a peaceful feel to it) - it's nice to have members who post portraits with their girlfriends/wives (Tyler has a nice user picture, too).

I also checked out your photography website (looked at the one gallery that's online at the moment) - your photography is very artistic. I like b/w photography...you definitely get a different feel with it, something that cannot be reproduced on colour film...
Do you work with digital or with film?

Thanks!!

I really need to get that site done :)  If you want to see more of my work let me know, I have tons of links I could post :) - this being one of them (not really work safe)  http://www.flickr.com/photos/insomniacstudios/ , I do work in the area of Goth/Fetish/Artistic Nudes now, along with our version of portraits and band photography. I started as a film photographer back in the day but shoot 90% digital now, I do a lot of photo manipulations as well so the format works best for me. Besides my Epson R2400 can produce prints that look as good if not better than normal film prints. I still love film though and hope to be able to get a medium format film camera that will accept a digital back, giving me the best of both worlds.

I agree with your thoughts on B&W shots, you can tell a story with a color shot, but when you do it through black and white imagery it just has more character.

My avatar is one of my favorite shots of Amber and myself, we did those two years ago this Christmas, really need to do some more of those again but it is not easy getting me in front of the camera. I think it was Tyler's avatar that inspired me to use that photo in the first place.

Thank you for the welcome!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2006, 08:37:54 PM »
Great info!  I'm also thinking of getting back into Mtn Bike Riding.  I used to ride 4 to 5 miles everyday when I was a teenager.  It was pretty a pretty flat ride since it was to the gym and back.  One day I got asked by my dad to go for a 7 mile, uphill ridethat he did with his friends.  From riding just 4 miles a day I was able to get up the hill in an hour faster than him and his friends usually did...and they were in good shape.  I was basically training without knowing I was training  ;)
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline BugMan

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2006, 08:51:02 PM »
How did I find myself bald?  The first time I was close to being bald was in the military.  I only weighed about 140, and honestly thought that the haircut made me look like a prison camp survivor.  After that I let it grow.  The unit I was in didn't require standard haicuts, so I had a mop until I left the Regular Army for  the National Guard.  They had a real hard on for short haircuts in the new unit, so I kept it much shorter.  I hated the cut and the time required to keep it up.  Once I left the Military for good, I let it grow even longer. 

The problem is longer hair requires a lot of time to keep up and dry.  I got to the point that I hated it.  So I then went to a flat top.  I loved not only the look, but the quick care after a shower.  Unfortunately it also required frequent haircuts to keep it up.  I was spending at least $60 a month and 5-6 hours getting these cuts.  I started to miss cuts, and as a flat top grows out your hair looks awful for about 2 months.  So I started going with just a regular "business" cut.  This required less time in the barber chair, but I always left hating the cut. 

So I searched the internet for an alternative.  I found the Robo cut.  I started cutting my own hair at my own convenience.  It was working pretty well for about 2-3 years.  Then the blades got dull, and I was getting inconsistant cuts.  I got tired of cleaning up the mess from the cuts, and started looking for another option. 

I had entertained the idea of shaving my head last year, but after searching the net couldn't really find the info that would convince me that I really would be happy with the process.  I also had the memory of the Basic Training haircut that I thought looked terrible.  I jokingly said to my wife that I was going to shave my head the week after my 40th birthday.  I had already searched the net and found the Headblade website.  So on the way home from work one evening, I stopped off at Walgreens and picked up the Headblade and Headshave and went to work.  I love it, my wife really loves it, and my daughters love it.  I can't see any reason to go back to a full head of hair ever again. 

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2006, 09:47:03 AM »
The unit I was in didn't require standard haicuts, so I had a mop until I left the Regular Army for  the National Guard.

??
18 series?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 05:21:24 PM by ar3inc »
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline BugMan

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2006, 08:04:44 PM »
The unit I was in didn't require standard haicuts, so I had a mop until I left the Regular Army for  the National Guard.

??
18 series?

Very perceptive.

Offline BaldRiley

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2006, 03:50:13 AM »
Hey, It was sort of a spur of the moment decision prompted by a few annoyances.  I had long hair and i always hated having the upkeep.  It took me forever to dry in the morning, and it was just a general annoyance.  When i was at Supercuts, or wherever it was, the lady asked me if i wanted to donate it, and I said yes, which made me feel good.  It's an awesome change and I never want to go back!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2006, 10:59:28 AM »
Hey, It was sort of a spur of the moment decision prompted by a few annoyances.  I had long hair and i always hated having the upkeep.  It took me forever to dry in the morning, and it was just a general annoyance.  When i was at Supercuts, or wherever it was, the lady asked me if i wanted to donate it, and I said yes, which made me feel good.  It's an awesome change and I never want to go back!

Awesome!  Welcome to Sly Bald Guys BaldRiley!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2006, 11:47:56 AM »
Great, congratulations on your decision.  Welcome to the group!
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2006, 12:54:09 PM »
Welcome to the forum BaldRiley!!! That's awesome you donated it. My dad did the same thing with his long hair after my son was diagnosed with cancer.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Blagadan

• Super Sly
  • Feckin' little baldy eejit!
    • My blog: Raiméis
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2006, 04:48:51 AM »
Three things made me go bald...
1. Mother nature took care of the bit on top
2. A desire to look better made me trim it
3. The price of haircuts (and the hassle) here made me buy a razor and start to shave it.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 06:28:31 AM by Blagadán »

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2006, 06:12:18 AM »
A little curiousity....and a lot of encouragement and information from this site.

I actually have pretty full coverage at age 44. 

But as I've buzzed it closer and closer it's just so much easier and eliminates bad hair days.

Look forward to being a "blagadan" before too long.

Offline frostillicus123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Forgot to Shave this morning
    • My Twitter Explict Language
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2007, 04:03:15 PM »

Wise move with that hair dude.

I started shaving cause I was bored with my old hair style, I buzzed it with clippers something I've done a million and one times, and still didn't feel new.... so I took (and by I, I mean my girlfriend) a dissposable to it..... I loved it, so slick, so nice.... we slicked it twice a week and it was a little painful because it was a little on the long side. than I took the disposable to the bathroom with me one night (I lived in a college dorm) and  slicked it myself too me like 30 minutes (head alone). In the following weeks i got my time down to about 20 minutes face and head. Than my girlfriend bought me the headblade classic and i started using that.

At the sink can do it in about 20 minutes... in the shower i can get my head done in like 10 (face included) i prefer to shave in the shower.

that's my storey and i'm sticking to it
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/071111/samp9a1d5d13c394b3da.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • bald, bold and beautiful
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2007, 05:32:33 PM »

That's quite an unusual compliment. Thanks. :)

Hey, you look like Ricky from Trailer Park Boys in that picture...he lives in Nova Scotia too (the character, that is). What a coincidence... ;D

Hey, just kidding. :)

Great to have you with us.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 05:36:35 PM by happyharry »
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline frostillicus123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Forgot to Shave this morning
    • My Twitter Explict Language
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2007, 10:40:27 PM »

That's quite an unusual compliment. Thanks. :)

Hey, you look like Ricky from Trailer Park Boys in that picture...he lives in Nova Scotia too (the character, that is). What a coincidence... ;D

Hey, just kidding. :)

Great to have you with us.

All I mean is you look a lot better slick than with the hair...

As for looking like ricky... frist time i've ever heard that... I currently live in the same town that bubbles is from, I've seen him at my bar (out of character). My bar also had Mr Leahy and Randy do a promo there.

<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/071111/samp9a1d5d13c394b3da.jpg[/img] [/url]