Author Topic: Newly bald - hate my punch graft scars  (Read 12210 times)

Offline SlySwiss

• Learning the way of Sly
Newly bald - hate my punch graft scars
« on: October 30, 2015, 02:56:53 AM »
Hi all,

First let me say that I think this is a great site with a great attitude.
I am 45 and I have been suffering with hair loss since I was 18. I went for two separate hair transplants in my 20s. This was in the early 1990s so I was literarily butchered with the punch-graft technique.  Things looked good for 5-6 years before I lost more hair. Since then I have been shaving the grafts and hidden the donor scars with longer hair in the back. The grafts are very even so no one has noticed. This was ok but I have never liked my look.

I have always been envy of you sly guys being so natural with a shaved head. I am 100% ok being hairless but I’ve never dared cutting my hair short or shaving because I am terrified of showing my punch-graft scars and what a fool I was as a youngster.

Last week I grew a pair of huge balls and I thought, what the h*ll, why should I hide all my life pretending to be something that I am not. So I shaved it all off with a razor, I’m now completely bald. I love my look when looking in the mirror. I look very sharp and 5 years younger.  But I hate the scars on back of my head.

What can I do? One side of me says, go out and be yourself. If someone asks, tell them. My other side says; “holy cow I look like a freak, I can’t go out like this”. My wife has helped me putting on foundation and concealer but I don’t like that feeling. At work I have avoided shoving my back head.

I thought about micro pigmentation but read many testimonies about color fading on scar tissue. That route feels like another dead end into the hair replacement industry that I hate. I am not being fooled again. I am looking for a one time solution so I can be natural and free. 

Posting a picture of my back head.
Cheers!

Offline john.peachie

• A Texan working in N'Djamena, Chad
  • Sly
Re: Newly bald - hate my punch graft scars
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 05:55:19 AM »
Welcome to the group SlySwiss,

You're definitely not a freak!. 

Personally I think our age group is in entitled to showing the scars of our youth, I have a few scars on my noggin that started out as a fun adventurous outing, that ended up in stitches and bandages.  Yes, they can be seen, but they are really only a string of blemishes like moles/freckles.  If it were my head, I would just forget about them until it was time to shave.

Several members of this board have used the micro pigmentation treatments with some success and I am sure they will post here later today.

John
John

The best things in life are free, that's why I'm good for nothing...

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 07:47:08 AM »
Have you talked with a Doctor about scar reduction options?
SlyBeard

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 08:07:14 AM »
Welcome, Sly Swiss!

Even with the punch scars, the shaved head looks good! Here are three suggestions that I have for you

1. Do nothing. Most people who would notice are other bald guys, and even they wouldn't say anything. Most sly guys have some blemishes and are unfazed by them.

2. See a dermatologist. Nowadays, there are plenty of creams and other treatments that can be done to minimize the appearance of scars and blemishes

3. The scalp micropigmentation may be another option, and it may not be a bad one. I underwent SMP this past summer myself, but I had mine done to conceal scars from keloids and boils. My plan was to only do the scarred areas, but after consultations, I went and did the horseshoe area in addition. If you go this route, shop around, and tell the company what you're expecting.

Regardless, whatever you do, don't look to have a completely perfect bald head. And there is nothing wrong with that.  You can read more on my SMP story here (I'm not trying to force you into it, I just wanted to shoot you a possiblity) Here's the link:

www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=26367.0

Best of luck to you in what you decide. Feel free to PM me on SMP and other concealing methods.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 08:12:50 AM by Sir Harry »
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline zetaeffe

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • The Bald by Choice Men group
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 09:30:53 AM »

Last week I grew a pair of huge balls and I thought, what the h*ll, why should I hide all my life pretending to be something that I am not. So I shaved it all off with a razor, I’m now completely bald. I love my look when looking in the mirror. I look very sharp and 5 years younger.  But I hate the scars on back of my head.

This is the best thing you wrote in your whole post: first of all you love your look when you look in the mirror, and that's really important!

You had the balls to shave all off, and that is very important too.

Your head shape looks great, so no problem for you to be bald.

Yes there are the scars, but they are not as noticeable as you can think: keep in mind that most people you meet watch you from front, and they are not even visible from front. Yes they can be seen from the back, but who cares? you should not care too much, they exists, they are part of your past choices, they should not ruin your future. Think about people who has much bigger and obvious scars on their face: should they not go out in fear of showing their scars? I don't think so.

So my advice:
- try not thinking about them, in time you will manage not to care about them
- keep your head shaved as much as possible (the longer the stubble, the more noticeable will be the contrast)
- if somebody asks you tell them the truth.

And welcome among us! :-D

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
  • Won't shave below the neck
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 11:04:10 AM »
If I saw you out and about somewhere with a shaved head and I happened to notice your scars, I'd have absolutely no idea how you got them.
I'd probably assume that they were minor burns or something industrial like that, based on their regularity. Like maybe you worked construction and put your head against a hot piece of metal of some kind. Heck, with the number of people purposely getting scarification procedures today, I might even wonder if they were intentional!

So, if you hate having scars, look into what a doctor can do for you, as others have recommended.
But if your biggest problem is that people will know what the scars are from, I'd suggest that most people will have no idea what they're from.

Offline SlySwiss

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 11:49:02 AM »
Have you talked with a Doctor about scar reduction options?

I have thought about it, but not yet. I am still in the search process.

Offline SlySwiss

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 11:52:54 AM »
Welcome, Sly Swiss!

Even with the punch scars, the shaved head looks good! Here are three suggestions that I have for you

1. Do nothing. Most people who would notice are other bald guys, and even they wouldn't say anything. Most sly guys have some blemishes and are unfazed by them.

2. See a dermatologist. Nowadays, there are plenty of creams and other treatments that can be done to minimize the appearance of scars and blemishes

3. The scalp micropigmentation may be another option, and it may not be a bad one. I underwent SMP this past summer myself, but I had mine done to conceal scars from keloids and boils. My plan was to only do the scarred areas, but after consultations, I went and did the horseshoe area in addition. If you go this route, shop around, and tell the company what you're expecting.

Regardless, whatever you do, don't look to have a completely perfect bald head. And there is nothing wrong with that.  You can read more on my SMP story here (I'm not trying to force you into it, I just wanted to shoot you a possiblity) Here's the link:

Best of luck to you in what you decide. Feel free to PM me on SMP and other concealing methods.

Thanks, great reply!

SMP is still on my list as possible solutions. But, I am unsure of the efficiency. I have read far too many post on people being disappointed with their scar camouflage. Are your scar-SMPs fine? Any fading?

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 12:06:27 PM »
Welcome, Sly Swiss!

Thanks, great reply!

SMP is still on my list as possible solutions. But, I am unsure of the efficiency. I have read far too many post on people being disappointed with their scar camouflage. Are your scar-SMPs fine? Any fading?
It's been two months since my last treatment and for the most part it has blended in pretty nicely. It was a little dark in the beginning. As for the scars themselves, the areas are little dark patches, but it's still better than the pink spots with no pigmentation that I had prior to the procedure.
To be honest, remember, if you go the SMP route, even to just cover the scars, in most cases at least three treatments (sessions) will be needed. I would say at least 80% of the bad jobs and/or fading are due to the patient not following the aftercare instructions properly. When you do SMP, there are restrictions that you have to follow for the first several days especially after the initial treatment. Also, it's not permanent, in a matter of years, even with the best aftercare, the body chemicals will start to break the ink down. However, in that same period the pigmentation may build back up into the scarred area so it won't be so obvious.

Offline SlySwiss

Scalp micropigmentation done!!!
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 12:41:18 PM »
To keep you posted, I had a micro pigmentation session yesterday to conceal my plug scars. The clinics main business is plastic surgery and they have an in house service for scar repair.

The lady I visited specializes in scar repair of all kind. She is positive that I will achieve a 70-80% coverage after 3-4 sessions.  My main goal is not to have hair but to have a clean smooth head. Maybe I will go for hair simulation later but then only some dots to simulate shaved hair.

Here is a picture from today, 24hrs after my session. The color is a bit dark but it will fade. I am already feeling more hopeful that my life as sly will be great! Thanks for all the kind words guys. O0

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 02:09:14 PM »
This latest photo looks less obvious than the first one, and as you said, this treatment should fade to a closer match over some time.

Looks good. Enjoy being SLY. 

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 02:20:02 PM »
Congratulations on finding a solution. Remember, the key is to follow the aftercare instructions as close as possible. Also, in time, after the appropriate number of sessions, the punched area will become almost undetectable. Feel free to stick around and keep us posted!

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 04:33:32 PM »
Definitely looking better.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 05:32:51 PM »
Wow, already a difference.  Technology can be awesome at times!

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
  • Won't shave below the neck
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2015, 08:55:32 PM »
Awesome - the scars are already so much less visible! And the important thing is that you're feeling better about your appearance.  :)

Enter your email address: