Author Topic: Please Help Me Guys  (Read 22753 times)

Offline Blagadan

• Super Sly
  • Feckin' little baldy eejit!
    • My blog: Raiméis
Re: Please Help Me Guys
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2007, 12:43:56 AM »
"he said again that if there are things out there like hair transplants to have hair again why not take advantage of it"

My suggestion would be to respond ... "Hair transplant shmare transplant!  I look great and I feel great!!  Bald is beautiful brother!!!"  O0

Just be who you are!  If he needs a hair piece fine just don't let him tell you that you need one!  It's YOU that decides what you do or don't need, it's your head!

Being bald is great, just take a look at the gallery. See anyone frowning? Even the blue alien guy looks pleased enough!

Offline Vash

• Be Kind For Everyone You Meet Is Fighting A Hard Battle
  • Super Sly
  • Bald, Bearded, Tattooed, Awesome!
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2007, 01:38:45 AM »

AMEN Brother Vash! That was brilliant. I think that needs to be made into it's own topic, made sticky, and be in the rules of the board that everyone reads it. That was just inspiring.. and I didn't even need any inspiration! You have my utmost respect.

Thanks.. I just got a little worked up by the thread. I don't want to sound too militant about individuality, but is SO important... and the idea of someone belittling someone they call a "friend" over hair loss..or choosing NOT to have cosmetic surgery (which is what it is), just plain pisses me off.

Anyway, it all just sorta came outta me and I typed it down. I'm glad somebody else finds truth in it.
~Vash

FB: Vashon Bench
Twitter: @gingerbeardpdx
Instagram: @gingerbeardpdx

Offline Kajun

• T-Sly Boudreaux
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2007, 02:00:03 AM »
Vash for President!..dude..thats some awesome wordsmithing there...it should be like the SBG motto or something  O0
VIVA LA SLY REVOLUCION!!!

Offline David

• the v-train is coming through
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2007, 02:01:29 AM »
Who says having hair makes someone look their best?    I feel a lot better about myself without hair than I ever did with it.   Not only that, but to try and strong arm a friend into a decision they aren't wanting to make is not being a "friend."

I'm sorry, but being bald is just another style.    I don't see people flipping out because molly over here added red streaks to her blonde hair.   Or went from hair to her waist to a short bob.    Etc.   

Plus, you know what, you are winning the battle, your "friend" is losing it.    He has shelled out all that money for transplants because he has been conditioned by society to think only having hair is acceptable.    So in reality, he isn't in control of his situation at all.   He has let society dictate how he should look.    While the man who shaves his head either by choice, or to beat baldness is in control.   Because while you may have lost your hair, you just don't care anymore and don't let it affect your demeanor/daily life.

Think of it like this:    By shaving your head by choice, you are just expressing your individuality(like me).   However, shaving your head to beat baldness is like you are telling baldness you can't run my life anymore.    Instead of trying to hide it to the world and hope people don't notice, you are saying I don't care and take ME for ME.   

The bottom line is the man who shaves is showing everyone he oozes confidence.   The man who tries to cover up is showing everyone his insecurities.

bald for life

Offline browny

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2007, 04:59:14 AM »
Vash, I am a 46 year old woman with 3 sons and 1 daughter.  To instil your attitude into my children and myself (because peer pressure can affect all ages) is the most precious thing that can be taught.  I have printed out your words and they are on our family noticeboard.   Thanks from Lesley Brown

jusbnme

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2007, 05:05:15 AM »
(Note: My SLY guys affirmations... Read these out loud)

I refuse to be told what is or is not universally attractive.
I will instead determine for myself what I will look like and seek out others who will accept, appreciate and love me, as me, for me.

I refuse to be SOLD attractiveness.
I will instead choose the products and services that suit my purposes and work well for me.

I refuse to be shamed or guilted by the media into changing my looks.
I will instead find the body, hair, clothing style that best suits me and makes me most comfortable.

I refuse to cling to or chase my inevitably fading youth.
I will instead embrace my age and enjoy the wisdom each year brings.

I refuse to be made uncomfortable by other people.
I will instead luxuriate in the comfort I find within my own skin and will enjoy and draw confidence from the frustration my comfort causes those who would change me.

I refuse to let the superficial judgments of others affect me.
I will instead instead draw confidence from my knowledge of myself and show that to others.

I refuse to accept the labels of society and the individuals that live within it.
I will instead set my own standards for myself and choose who's opinions I will listen to based on my respect for them.

This is my line in the sand. I am an individual. I am my own person.

Accept me, respect me and I'll do the same for you.

Otherwise  :-X

I am far to busy being SLY to be troubled by your narrow minded low self worth.

Here endeth the rant... ^-^

Vash bro, that was freaking awesome.  Very well put.  I'm also printing this out just to have because that was greatly written.  I concur with the others....Vash for President!!!  O0 O0

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2007, 10:46:09 AM »
How about the SBG Mission Statement?
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2007, 12:37:51 PM »
Vash, like several others here I am printing out your words.  In this case however I intend to post them in my high school classroom.  Adolescence is an awkward time for all teens, but for those with disabilities it is even worse.  The pressure to fit into high school society when you have a situation that makes you different is horrible.  Being the only teacher in a staff of 100 who shaves his head (and several with MPB really should) I have tried to become a model for difference being celebrated.  Just thought you should know that those well chosen words were going to motivate others than your original audience.  Thanks
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

BaldRob

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2007, 01:57:51 PM »
Vash... Kudos to you!  Awesome words of encouragement for any and everyone!   O0

Don, I can only agree with everyone else here... the bottom line is not what society thinks (or promotes), but what YOU think about yourself.  When the day is done, can you sleep comfortably and restfully at night with who you are.

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2007, 02:05:59 PM »
You've got my vote Vash!  That should be the new "Sly Guy Creed"!   O0

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline Vash

• Be Kind For Everyone You Meet Is Fighting A Hard Battle
  • Super Sly
  • Bald, Bearded, Tattooed, Awesome!
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2007, 03:03:31 AM »
Guys, seriously, thank you... I really appreciate that you all like my little rant there. Really, I don;t know what to say... I'm happy to have come up with something that people can identify with and find something worthwhile in.

I hope Don found what he needed to find in the thread, and thanks to him for inspiring me to write that rant that you guys have found so inspiring in turn.

PAUL: You can tell the kids in your class that it was written by a bald guy who wears kilts every day and makes his living playing music thats hundreds of years old, on a drum that most people have never heard of... talk about "fringe".. geez, I freak me out sometimes.

Anyway, thanks again guys, I am really, really flattered.
~Vash

FB: Vashon Bench
Twitter: @gingerbeardpdx
Instagram: @gingerbeardpdx

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2007, 07:51:16 AM »
 ;D O0 Vash, I just got into this thread after an involved week at the college. What you wrote to that misguided young man, what you call--humbly--a rant, is classic: The Declaration of Rights of people who shave. As the mother said, it shoud be drilled into kids' heads for the protection of their individuality and self-determination. The guys in the toupees and "relocated" hair (not to mention cranial scars when they eventually have to shave) will be left holding the bag when the aesthetic of male attractiveness changes, which it is aready doing. "Replacement systems" will then seems as pathetic and quaint as fin-mobiles and retro kitchen furniture. Well done! Glad to call you Bro. Professor Melon
Embrace the bald truth

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2007, 08:11:57 AM »
 :D Dear Don. Sorry for the late response. Vash and the bros. all had it right. Your "friend" is not your friend and he does not give sound advice. So brace up man, and see the truth. This guy is ruled by narcissism and the fear of growing old. He lives in an illusion of himself, clinging to the vain hope that people accept the illusion as a reality. His argument--why not use a technique that it ready at hand?--is specious since transplants do not stop further balding and the "donor" area eventually fails to provide sufficient hair to cover the newly bald areas. He is also not kind--just looking for another sucker to bolster his unvoiced/denied suspicion that he has not made the right decision. Chronic fear and denial do not lead to happiness or confidence; embracing the truth does. Tell him kindly but firmly, that plating make-believe is not YOUR thing. If he really is a friend, he will acknowledge the wisdom of your self-determination. Professor Melon
Embrace the bald truth

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2007, 10:12:09 AM »
[..in 2 to 5 years its gonna be hard to find a guy with a horseshoe

It already is hard to find a guy with a horseshoe, especially among the under-40 crowd.  Shaving off the horseshoe has become the rule, rather than the exception.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2007, 10:19:01 AM »
not to mention cranial scars when they eventually have to shave)

The Professor speaks the truth.  I saw a guy on the street a few months back, whose shaved head was covered with scars.  Obviously he'd had a transplant and was not happy with the results and ended up shaving anyway.  I give the guy a lot of credit for having the guts to shave and show those scars to the world.  But I'll bet he wishes he'd never had that procedure done.  Let me tell you, the scars were not pretty!!

To anyone who's thinking of getting a transplant -- shave your head first and keep it that way for six months.   By the time the six months are up, it's highly unlikely that you'll want the transplant.  If you still want it, then go for it.   At least that way you'll know that you didn't like having a shaved head.  The hair will grow back, so you've got nothing to lose.  Better than getting the transplant, regretting it and wondering if you should have tried shaving first.

Enter your email address: