Author Topic: Buzzing it tomorrow... maybe.  (Read 21635 times)

Offline socctty

• Sly Jr.
  • Finally sly.
Buzzing it tomorrow... maybe.
« on: January 18, 2007, 01:16:39 AM »
First off - hi, guys.

I'll introduce myself with a story, I suppose. Most of you can probably relate. Hopefully someone who is thinking about taking the dive will relate to my story as well, as I have by reading some of the forum posts.

I'm 22, and when I was around 20 or so I looked like this: http://myspace-792.vo.llnwd.net/00646/29/70/646430792_l.jpg. Good-looking guy, right? I've gained some muscle since then. The angle and the lighting and the style somewhat hides the receding hairline, which I sort of accepted, since I always had somewhat of a widows-peak, even in my baby photos. Maybe I was lying to myself, I don't know.

But soon after that photo, I noticed the crown of my head was getting thin, too. I've been gradually accepting my fate since then. It's really taken over a year and a half for me to get this far, mentally.

As a side note, in the picture above, I am wearing a shirt for one of my favorite bands: Les Savy Fav. Oddly enough, the lead-singer of that band is the first hip bald guy I'd ever encountered: http://www.afterbirthofthecool.com/lessavyfav_boudist.jpg. Luckily for me, he wasn't dressed like that when I saw them live. Anyway, he hasn't exactly shaven his head, but it allowed me to consider that bald dudes could be pretty cool, instead of being a collection of cancer patients, fat guys, inmates, Patrick Stewart, and wanna-be bad-asses.

Since then, the lowest I've taken my hair was about two months ago, before winter set in here in the desert. I took it this low (http://myspace-330.vo.llnwd.net/01288/03/34/1288904330_l.jpg) so as to dip my toe in the water. I loved how clean it looked, how orderly everything was, and how low-maintenance things were. Plus, it brought out my eyes - chicks dig the eyes. What I didn't like was that the crown of my head looked even worse: the hair was short enough to be low-maintenance and long enough to look like I was hiding from my thinning hair. It wasn't a big deal the first week, but as hair started growing back in faster in the front and sides than on top, it started to look terrible. I let it grow back to where I am now, which is much like the first picture.

But tomorrow, I am taking it down to a #1 or a #2 cut, whichever the barber feels is best. My barber is bald, by the way, so it'll be easier to ask him!

Anyway, that's where I'm at. I should post pictures tomorrow. I think my face suits things fairly well, although I'd like to get some more sun. I understand that my scalp will be a little paler than my face, as hard as that is to conceive. I'm not a big facial hair fan, and even if I was, I couldn't get anything more than a cop mustache since I'm in the military. I'd feel more confident going into things if I had a more "chiseled" looking chin, but I've gone from 175 lbs. and 17% body fat to 168 lbs. and 13% body fat in the past few months, and increased my bench press from 175 lbs to 235 lbs., so I've got a bit of a confidence boost still going from all that.

Hopefully I don't get cold feet; hopefully I hang in there long enough to let the shock wear off and get comfortable with my new look. I don't plan on bic-ing it, but I've learned to never say never. It seems like everyone on here is a big fan of it; for now, I'll go with the velcro/stubble thing with the #1 (or #2).

Thanks for the support!

"You can't hate man if you know him."
- John Steinbeck

"A man's life is interesting primarily when he has failed -- I well know. For it's a sign that he tried to surpass himself."
- Georges Clemenceau

"Nothing is more unsightly than a bald man with hair."
- Martial

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
Re: Buzzing it tomorrow... maybe.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 01:38:53 AM »
Welcome to the group, Socctty!  Shave it, you'll won't regret it.  

What branch?
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 01:43:57 AM »
Welcome to Sly Bald Guys Socctty.

Just buzz it bro.  I'd recommend a #1 as it will let you see what it will be like shorter and will grow it's way back to a #2 in a couple of days.  It looks like your sides are already pretty close to a #2.

I wouldn't recommend wearing what the lead singer of the band is wearing on your first day with a buzzed head as you may not get an honest reaction to your new look   ;) :D :o
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

BaldRob

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 06:39:29 AM »
Hi and welcome Socctty!  Great intro...

I'm with Tyler... take it down with a #1 blade and see what you think!

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 07:02:42 AM »
 :D :D Welcome, Socctty: You've done some awesome weight training things lately, you have a realistic-confident attitude, and you understand philosophically the inevitable course of Mother Nature--all of which should embolden you to shave it all off, without much heart-wrenching. There are real benefits of being totally bald, as you've already discerned. If you take this step now, while you're so young, you'll be well ahead of the curve when your mates turn 30 or 35 and find themselves facing the same problem but without the positive boost you have now. The only downside I've encountered [been shaving since November] is that it's drafty in winter. Best of luck, Professor Melon
Embrace the bald truth

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 07:08:22 AM »
welcome to sbg. figure out what you feel comfortable with and go just a bit farther. get out of the comfort zone just a little. you might be pleasantly surprised. if not, it grows back to what you have now pretty quick.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 07:10:00 AM »
Welcome, Socctty

Yep...I concur....go ahead and buzz it.  I think you'll really like how much easier it is to care for.

I just shaved my noggin slick this past Sunday (1/14).  

I did sort of a progression using buzzes at decreasing guards.  I have a brief synopsis of my "process" here  

http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=651.msg8133#msg8133

But I basically started with a #3, long setting.....then #3, short setting....then #2, long.....#2, short..etc..

I chose to do this to ease my wife into the idea of eventual baldness

Hopefully someone who is thinking about taking the dive will relate to my story as well

Just took the dive....I can relate

Good-looking guy, right?

Oh yeah....can TOTALLY relate

I'd like to get some more sun. I understand that my scalp will be a little paler than my face

Chances are that the scalp will be A LOT   paler than your face.  That's the main hurdle I'm clearing right now.   But it's not quite as pronounced if yer just buzzing it.

Hopefully I don't get cold feet

Just remember, it's not like yer getting a wicked, big ol', permanent tatoo on the side of yer face......it grows back.

Here's another thread with questions posed by my wife that might be helpful.  

http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=645.0
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 08:16:39 AM by Robmeister »

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 09:48:45 AM »
Socctty,
Welcome. This is a good group of guys and they were very valuable to me in helping with the decision to shave it off (New Year's Day). Now that I've been "sly" for almost 3 weeks, I just can't envision going back to having (little) hair on the dome. I was never trying to fight off the inevitable, just was accepting what was "in my future". Like others, I gradually went down from a #3 to #2 (wife hated that step, but either grew to like it or just shut up about it), to a #1 the week between Christmas and New Year before I did it.

Now my scalp feels healthy (big plus), I like my look, and the comments have been overwhelmingly positive. Personally, I think it's more work to maintain the look, but it's well worth it.

I agree with Rod, take it to a #1 and see how it feels. But, I would bet you'll want to go the next step.

Have a good Thursday,
Schro

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 11:36:50 AM »

Offline schro

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 04:38:27 PM »
Oops. I'm operating today on 2 hrs sleep.  :o
Long drive from Bandon Dunes, Oregon after a 2 hr frost delay from my tee time then having to take an alternate route home due to driving conditions over the Sisykiou Summit.

My apologies to both Robs for my temporary bout with dyslexia.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 04:55:48 PM »
...... Sisykiou Summit.

:o your what hurts?  :o
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline schro

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 05:13:36 PM »
The Sisykiou Summit is the high point on I-5 between Oregon & California.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 05:24:02 PM »
Oh ok, I was gonna tell ya to go see a doctor....like, Dr Noner!
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 06:26:11 PM »
Good luck socctty - the 1 is not a bad transition cut.   
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

spaceape48

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 06:39:34 PM »
Congrats on the start. A friend of mine decided to buzz his hair down right after I shaved mine. While he likes it, it does show his balding a bit more than before. I'm trying to get him to finish the job- not sure if his wife will let him though,lol.

I had the same issue man, same age and everything. Go for it! I immediately regretted shaving my head, but a week into it realized I was worrying about nothing. I'm loving it more and more. Before it was a shave every three days, now I'm at it every day.

It def growns on ya(no pun intended)