Author Topic: One step closer  (Read 14226 times)

Offline texbeard

• Learning the way of Sly
One step closer
« on: November 25, 2006, 09:31:32 PM »
I've been thinking about shaving my head for a while but can't bring myself to take the plunge yet.  I decided to go part of the way this morning, so I went to the barber and got a razor shaved high and tight haircut.  I kept most of the length on the top.  With a ball cap on I can almost pull off a bald look now.

I like the look and feel of the shaved back and sides, but man I just can't bring myself to mow down the top.  Everyone I've talked to has said don't do it.  I've already had a few people tell me that I look funny without my sideburns!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: One step closer
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 09:36:16 PM »
Texbeard, welcome to Sly Bald Guys! 

Just give it a shot man!  Shave it off!  If you're already doing high and tight, it won't take long to grow back if you don't like it.  But, you'll have many guys here tell you that you probably will never go back.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 10:29:38 PM »
Just keep running your hand over that smooth sides and back and imagine what it would be like if your whole scalp were that smooth.  Just keep thinking about that and I can guarantee that the urge to shave will be irresistable.

The first time I shaved was after I gave myself a botched buzz cut.  The #1 wasn't short enough and I found out too late that the no-guard was too short.  I had no intention of shaving but I kept thinking about how close I was to it until finally the urge to be bald outweighed my anxiety (I was applying the shaving gel within 15 minutes!  ;D)

You wouldn't have gone this far if you didn't really want to do it.  You owe it to yourself to give it a try.  I know how scary it can be.  I first got the desire to shave in 1998 and it wasn't until 2002 that I finally took the plunge.  It's not something you'll ever regret - even if you don't like it (which is highly unlikely), you'll be glad you at least gave it a try.  And shaving is actually fun, especially the first time.

What length is your hair on top right now?  You might want to try gradually taking it shorter.  When you get down to a #1 (1/8") and feel comfortable at that length, you're almost there.  You can grow back to #1 in a week. Knowing that makes the shave a lot less scary.

Good luck!!

BaldRob

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 08:35:01 AM »
Everyone I've talked to has said don't do it.

And those people that say don't do it will quickly change their tune!  Just be prepared for some good natured ribbing while you and they are adjusting to the new look...

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 09:00:55 AM »
People say don't do it because most people can't relate to the concept of wanting to be bald.   We've all been conditioned to thinking that baldness is a negative thing.  In fact, the opposite is true.  Most men look better bald.  What does NOT look good is someone who is losing his hair and keeps the remaining hair long.  That does not look good on anybody and that is what has given baldness a bad rap. 

Right now your choices are to either do it or spend the rest of your life wondering what it would be like.  The worst case scenario is that you don't like it and it will take a couple of weeks to get your hair back to its usual length.  A small price to pay in the overall scheme of things.

When you do it -- notice I say "when" and not "if" because you know you're going to do it at some point -- remember that it will probably take a little while to adjust to your new look.  It's important to keep shaving and not give in to the temptation to grow it back immediately.  Give yourself a few weeks to get used to it and for your skin tone to even out.  Then grow it back if you don't like it.  Chances are by then, you'll be totally hooked on the bald look.

Offline texbeard

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2006, 09:13:44 AM »
Taking the top down gradually is a great idea.  Right now I have about an inch of length on top, slightly longer in front.  I think it would take a couple of months to get back that length if I don't like the shaved look.

It's definitely true that most people can't relate to the concept of wanting to be bald.    The people that I've talked to that said don't do it, have ALL followed by saying why in the world would you want to do that.

Glad I found this forum -- lots of good info here....

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2006, 09:50:56 AM »
Take the top down to a #2, which is 1/4".  That may sound very short to you, but it really isn't.  It's about the longest you can go and still have the hair stand up.  It will probably take you about a day or two to adjust to the new length.   Then, in about a week, take it down to #1.  Again, it will seem radically short for a day or two but you quickly adjust.

A quick story - back when I was still getting #2 on top, I went for a haircut and got a very old barber.  I asked for a #2, and he said,  "OK, #2 it is."  He then proceeded to give me a #1 for some unknown reason.  It seemed extremely short to me and I was a little shocked when I left the barber shop, but by the end of the day I found I really liked it and never went back to #2 again.

Anyway, if you can get used to #1 for a week or two, you're home free, because then you can shave and still be back to the #1 in a week's time.

In the meantime, keep those sides shaved smooth and keep imagining what it would be like to be that smooth all over.

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2006, 10:07:50 AM »
 ;D Dear Texbeard: RazorX has it exactly right and has given you some real insights and advice. I "took the plunge" on November 4th, after getting an unsatisfactory buzz cut. Since you're already toying with your new image, just go for it. Wilde remarked that it's the things we have NOT done in life that we regret. It will take a little time fully to embrace your new image, but you're making this decision at a great time, since SBG and other groups can lend support and community, and since the totally bald look has, for men, become a cool fashion statement.  I have now sported the look in all kinds of venues, including academe and the professions, and almost universally drawn compliments. My wife fully supported the change from the start. Family and old acquaintances may be shocked, at first, but , if you carry the look with a confident, self-affirming attitude, you will find not only acceptance but a kind of gratification in your own  daring.  You can either seize your life and run it, or let nature and genetics run it and suffer the long humiliation  of balding and hopeless, expensive attempts to reverse it. So, what kind of guy are you? Do you rule or do convention and sufferance? Buy a Mach III Turbo and some good shave gel [e.g. Aveeno Therapeutic]; take a really long hot shower; lather up your head, and go right over the top from your nape to the middle of your hairline. Then remove all the fuzz and feel cleaner and more self-possessed than you have ever felt in your life. Work slowly and learn to shave according to the nature of your own stubble and skin. And, as RazorX remarked, do it every day until you have mastered razoring,  determined how often you have to shave to keep the look, and locked in the new image. You will be amazed: in less than a week, you'll come to hate the 'velcro' and become determined to keep your statement sharp and unambiguous. You may even, as I have done, invest in some product [Head Lube, for example] to guarantee  the shine. No man's reflections, however true, will ever persuade you to take this step. Believe that the unexamined life is not worth living. And, oh yes, get a knitted cap, as winter is upon us and you'll find your new state drafty [the only downside]. Let us know your decision. Godspeed, Professor Melon
Embrace the bald truth

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2006, 12:47:16 PM »
I can honestly say that it is difficult for me to relate to your exact situation. I have a natural full head of hair. When I first shaved, it was for St Baldricks and my son was doing chemo at the same time. Personally, it was a no brainer from the get go.

I'll give you the same advice everyone else has...DO IT!

You'll be glad you did.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2006, 12:59:32 PM »
Texbeard, I'm in the same boat as you.  I'm currently wearing a two on top and a one on the back and sides.  Am waiting for one of two things to make me shave; the return of hot weather or a charity event where I can give up the hair.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2006, 01:11:42 PM »
wpruitt, welcome to our forum. Check out St Baldrick's they may have one in your area coming up soon. It's a great cause, and a free haircut!!!
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2006, 04:21:52 PM »
welcome to sbg, wpruitt. heck you are almost there now, might as well finish it! you won't regret it. i promise.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline K J

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2006, 08:20:46 PM »
Hi KJ here,

Texbeard  wellcame to the group, I have a question how do you explian a high and tight haircut to a non military barber with no pictures?  Oh, you can allways ask your barber what he thinks high and tight or bold and yo'll be bold before you know it

Kelsey

Offline texbeard

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2006, 11:40:44 PM »
Hey KJ,  I went to a barber that does a lot of short haircuts so no explanation was needed when I asked for a razored high and tight.  He just went right to work and only asked how much length I wanted to keep on the top.  I mentioned that I was working my way towards an eventual complete head shave and he said he can take care of that too, just let him know when I'm ready.

After only a day and a half the stubble is coming in on the back and sides already.  Tonight I experienced "velcro head" for the first time.  When I tried to pull a t-shirt off over my head it got caught in the "velcro" on the back of my head and stopped cold!

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2006, 05:42:56 AM »
gotta love the velcro. hahaha

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Enter your email address: