Author Topic: 18 years of dealing with hair loss – advice?  (Read 3349 times)

Offline EnglishScot1980

• Learning the way of Sly
18 years of dealing with hair loss – advice?
« on: September 06, 2017, 06:49:54 AM »
Good evening chaps.

Having come across this forum a few times in recent years I thought I would finally take the plunge, become a member and introduce myself. It is exactly 10 years since I underwent an FUT transplant in order to prolong what I saw as my ‘youthful’ looks however having recently booked a further transplant before deciding against it (with the help of the clinic themselves I have to say) I think I might be finally nearing a point where I’m ready to ‘brave the shave’.

Maybe it’s because being in my late 30’s I’m finally more comfortable in my own skin but first a bit of background. I first noticed my hair leaving when I was about 19, causing me to panic and immediately start using concealers. A few years later and I took the decision to have a transplant, I was given the option of both an FUE and FUT and being young and naïve (and let’s be honest, without access to more research & what I know now) I chose the latter, with a bit of coaxing from the clinic I have to say…  >:( anyway I was pretty happy with the results but over time more hair has left and I’ve just ended up carrying on using concealers anyway.

What has stopped me in the past is a) the FUT scar and b) the shape of my head. I haven’t shaved it that close since I first noticed at 19 and didn’t like the shape of my head however having found a decent, understanding hair dresser and the support of my partner I finally feel like I’m ready to give it a go. So I guess I would ask, any advice at all guys on how to deal with the scar i.e. what blade should I use on the sides and back compared to the top, dermabrasion?

Thanks for your time and just to say it is a great thing you guys are doing here.

Offline Nickd

• Sly Jr.
Re: 18 years of dealing with hair loss – advice?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 10:34:53 AM »
My advice is pick a good razor, get some aftershave and maybe watch a few YouTube videos and then start shaving. Your a perfect candidate to be bald.

P.S. don't forget the sunscreen.

Offline chgobuzzbald

• Super Sly
  • No more HT scars
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 12:05:40 AM »
I did the same as you with many hair transplants and many scars. I was young and insecure. But in 2013 I did shave fully and had micro tattoos done by HIS Hair at their Chicago office. I believe they have an office in Manchester and London as you seem to be in the UK. My avatar photo if you can see it, was taken at the clinic just after the 5th session. I had it done all over my head, not just the donor areas. Just not very low on the front as I wanted to keep the look of a receded hairline that was implanted by the all the transplants. There are now many competitors to HIS Hair but the key is using only shades of black ink so it cant ever change color as a normal tattoo ink will do. No one has ever guessed, not even barbers giving me a head shave. Just looks like shaved hair stubble. Met many others who had it done and was impressed. Just don't do it too dark or make a silly, low hairline half way down your forehead, looks fake then. I did do 4 Fraxel laser sessions on the bumpy donor scars to smooth them out on the lower neck before the tattoos for a better result. I believe HIS Hair now offers such lasers first and even a temporary henna tattoo to test it out. Im thrilled with the results as 90% -95% of the scars are concealed. It will fade a bit over time with too much sun exposure so maybe next year I will get a touch up, not sure, still looks great. They say 50% of their clients are hair transplant survivors, its that good. Many stories and photos on their website. A photo of me right after a barbershop head shave if you can see it attached.

Offline Lenza

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 02:07:21 AM »
I glanced at this thread a week or so ago..

I really hope that you've done the deed since you've posted this. You're going to feel like a new man. It's going to be a very anxious but exciting period of adjustment, but it's the best thing for you to do as far as I'm concerned. Don't fret over the shape of your head. It's going to look so much cleaner and healthier when you shave it all off.

If it's been this noticeably thinned out for a few years now, I'm surprised that this is finally your breaking point? It's been doing you no favors to hold on to that hair. I think that once you can see through it, it's time to just let it go, straight up. Make sure you post the after photos, maybe with your face included this time so we can see the inevitable smile that you'll have. (At least that I hope you'll have! lol)

Offline SSL87

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 03:14:00 AM »
I was thinking of doing the SMP too but I don't think it makes enough of difference to do..

Offline brannon67

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 05:26:03 PM »
Yep dude, with that much thinning and receding, its time to make a decision and do something. Just saying, unless you don't want to and just roll with it. Your decision.

Enter your email address: