Author Topic: Need help from some honest bros  (Read 7741 times)

Offline d.Tomley

• Learning the way of Sly
Need help from some honest bros
« on: August 06, 2017, 12:11:57 AM »
First time poster short term lurker here. Just to start I would like to say what a great bunch of dudes occupy this site and its very encouraging to see such a positive support network.

Ok. I'm about to turn 30 and I am by no means losing my hair on top but the receding hairline has started. I had a fringe for a long time but when I noticed the receding I decided to go for a shorter style to ease in any future hairloss. Now I have zero issue with shaving it and quite like the idea of it!

Problem is, I have 2 visable beating arteries on each side of my head that pulsate. This is all the time even at rest and they really get big when hot,exercising or if I have a beer or 7.

Il attach some photos so you guys can be honest. This is the only thing stopping me taking the plunge.

Cheers all!

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
Re: Need help from some honest bros
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 12:51:02 AM »
You have a good head of hair so you have many choices, you could buzz further, shave or leave as it is.  That is a matter of choice for you.  We all have veins and arteries and a small you said there AR times that they become more obvious. However the fact that you know about them now means thAt theft are seen when you have hair so it will not be any different if you go sly.  You are obviously interested in trying sly so give it a go, scratch that itch.  If you want to be cautious then buzz down gradually then iat any point you decide you can always stop.  If you go for it, remember the 30 day rule as it does take time for you and everyone else to get used to your new look.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 01:42:24 AM »
many of us have obvious blood vessels just as you do.  That is totally natural nd you are the only one who has even noticed it.

You certainly do not "have" to shave but you like the look so why not give it a go?  But I agree that you really need to be committed to thev30 day rule when you do it.

Offline d.Tomley

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 02:15:59 AM »
Thanks guys, i live and work in Tokyo and its so hot so a super short haircut is something i have wanted for ages. I know im maybe worrying about the arteries too much and il just have to get used to it.

so does anyone have the arteries that are as obvious as mine? i mean they never are not there?

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 06:25:46 AM »
Being a guy who is bald by choice at about 55 I started buzzing my hair down to next to nothing. At 59 got the razor out and shaved my head. I keep the bald look today at 64. Great choice. I do have a full beard which is now mostly white.

I can't speak to the vein issue, but I will say that having been here on SBG for over 6 years, most of these type of issues are perceived by the owner, but pretty much no one else. 

I'll give my endorsement to the 30 day rule.  It sold me on the smooth head look and feel. I'm not sure which I like better. A smooth head is different at first, but I really enjoy it. The bald looks goes along well with a smooth head (I hope so!).  Can't have one without the other.

It's really your choice.  A bald head or very short buzz cut is great in hot weather.  I live in North Carolina and it's pretty hot here in the summers. I see many guys with either very short buzz cuts or they shave their heads.  Very common.

Offline d.Tomley

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 09:13:35 AM »
Thanks for the words of encouragement. Il start with a buzz and then go from there. The veins are just a problem I hold on too maybe a little too much.

As you can see in the second picture they get very big and beat clear for all to see.

But there is a part of me that wants to get the razor and try....

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 09:31:48 AM »
Give it a try if you want. But with the head of hair you have some time ,before you would need to concern your self with having to shave.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 12:38:26 PM »
You asked for honesty, no, I would not shave your head or get a short buzz. With the dark circles around your eyes and thin face, you might look ill. I'm sorry if that is blunt. Just wondering how your health is. I just don't want you to regret making a drastic change.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Jordan1991

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 03:08:50 PM »
You seem to want to shave it, so I say go for it. If you don't like it, will grow back.i don't think the veins would be an issue at all.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 08:50:24 PM »
I do not have any photos to prove it, but when I work out or do anything strenuous the veins on my head pop out as well.  I have never given them a second thought.  Don't let that deter you.
SlyBeard

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 10:31:36 PM »
Personally I would stick with the current look.  Perhaps later on if the hair recedes more you could try a shave.
Roger

Offline d.Tomley

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 02:14:30 AM »
Thanks for all the opinions guys. I know i have a bit of time left but it would be more of personal choice thing.  I did lose alot o weight recently which is why the face is looking a bit slim/Tired. Its something im working on at the moment.

Maybe il get a few more pounds on me before i do this. I see you guys braving the shave and i think it looks great!!! Im aware i sound like an insecure guy but this site allowed me to reach out for opinions without embarrassing myself lol!

The problem is not veins, but visible arteries. They are not there at just times of exercising but a permanent fixture. PS these have become more noticable with the weight loss  (30kg)

Offline d.Tomley

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 03:23:57 AM »
ps heres a better look at the hairline

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 07:17:45 AM »
I still do not see it as an issue.  It is normal.  Especially for guys with low body fat.  I do not suggest you try to gain weight just to hide the vein or artery.
SlyBeard

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2017, 12:21:06 PM »
Oh Boy; I remember how hot and HUMID August and September are in Tokyo!  They have the same "swamp" climate that Washington DC has (which is why the Cherry trees that Japan gave to the U.S. have thrived in DC)

As I have said before, the veins in your head are no more prominent than my own.  Many men have them.  You are just allowing this to be an excuse.

Buzzed or shaved heads are very common in Japan and a shaved head carries no particular connotation. 

So, there is absolutely no reason why you should not test-fly the sly look.  You know that you want to do this and if you don't scratch this itch it is not going to go away.

I don't see why you are making such a big deal out of it.  Just do it.  Just find an old fashioned barber shop with a male barber and tell him to shave your head with a razor.

Then, post pics.

Enter your email address: