Author Topic: I've been debating buzzing my head forever! What Should I do!?  (Read 16814 times)

Offline rzgp

• Learning the way of Sly
Hey guys- Been a lurker on the forum for a while and thought I'd finally jump in and post. My hair has been consistently thinning for the last 6-7 years and although I could hide it for a while (yes I even am guilty of a combover in the back) it's getting too obvious to hide. I don't want to go for the full clean shaven look, but I am afraid because I am balding at the crown that a short buzz will just make it look worse. I'm interested to hear your thoughts and experiences, especially those men who were balding at the crown!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: I've been debating buzzing my head forever! What Should I do!?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 10:08:04 PM »
Welcome!

Yes, that donut hole is starting to develop. I think you should definitely buzz the sides and back and maybe keep the top a little higher. I think the shorter sides and back will blend in with the bald spot.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Montana

• Sly Jr.
  • Get busy living
    • Life Inside Jack
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 10:13:45 PM »
I am balding in the front so I cannot speak for the crown bit.

However, I think you'll look about 7 years younger with a shaved head. That donut ages you terribly.

My $0.02, which today is half off ....

Montana
---
Love. Joy. Hope. Peace. Freedom.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 07:02:26 AM »
No need to wait any longer.  I suggest you go directly to a shave head.  However, a lot of guy do choose to start with a buzz, and gradually take it shorter and shorter until it is shaved.  You will feel much better about it, and the debate will be over.

BTW - commit to at least 30 days with the buzz or the shave to give yourself time to adjust.
SlyBeard

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 07:14:19 AM »
With the amount of hairloss you have, everyone knows your getting bald fast. I would suggest you just go for the headshave. You have a nice beard, and the bald/bearded look is popular now.

A shaved head looks and feels awesome, and if you don't like it, you will have a buzzcut in a week.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Zooman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 09:07:30 AM »
Welcome to the forum!
Your situation is pretty close to what I was also experiencing with my own MPB.  I might have had another year or two before it became painfully obvious, but I had also been thinking about buzzing or shaving for quite a while.  And then I finally went and did it!  Yes it was a big change and a bit of a shock at first, but I've now been sly for two months and love it.  Most reactions have been that it's a completely different look, but it looks good and makes me look younger.  My free advice as well is to just do it.  Whether it's trying a shorter haircut, a buzz, or the full head shave (which I agree would look great on you), just go ahead and do it and keep it that way for 30 days until you get used to it.  Then you can try shorter looks until you arrive at whatever you're happiest with.  Best of luck to you!

Offline Calvo1029

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 10:54:54 PM »
Try buzzing it first, it does make it better, a 2 or 3 on top and 1 on the side. You will progress from there down to eventually shaving it all. Don't worry is the key- go at your own pace and you will feel better.
If only I could figure out how to get rid of the hair that still comes back...

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 05:38:25 AM »
I believe you would look better with short buzz.  You are indeed balding why not enjoy it.

Offline GoHabs

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 02:24:10 PM »
If you are unsure about the sly look, I would suggest a Buzz Cut on #2.  That's how I started 2 years ago.  18 months later I went SLY!

Offline BoomBoomStix

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 10:08:16 AM »
Yet another who looks good any way. Were I fortunate enough to be in your shoes I'd just shave it all off and live in peace. No more worries about styling hair etc. Bliss.

Offline EN4CER

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 03:18:59 PM »
I would strongly suggest change!  Go down to a number 3, get use to it then decide if you want / need to go further.

I took the plunge several years ago and very pleased I did. I'm like you, crown, but also front middle! 😢
Growing Old Disgracefully - But Bald!

Offline TheodorusRex

• Sly Jr.
  • Each moment is a place you've never been before.
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 05:58:00 AM »
Liberate yourself man...   Radical self acceptance... 
Started shaving November 25th, 2016

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 08:46:54 PM »
Well that is an easy one - Stop debating!

Enter your email address: