Author Topic: Looking for courage to do it!  (Read 5933 times)

Offline KITARA39

• Learning the way of Sly
Looking for courage to do it!
« on: January 31, 2017, 03:16:05 PM »
Hello, a short time lurker here, hello to all...

Well, it is time :'( ...The date i set is 25.5 (randomly, i just asked some friend who didnt know why i am asking to pick some day in may )..

And i am already a little anxious, and as anxiety is my problem i know it will rise and rise and i am afraid panicking of chickening out at the last moment.

But there is no other option. I have already very visible diffuse thinning on top, only can hide it with gofybr, i use it when i go out on weekends , but i feel stupid and like a cheater. Also it is no solution

Why i am afraid ? Well probably my biggest 3 fears are
1. My head is strange looking. This fear is bigger, because some years ago i buzzed my head to 2 mm (military style), and i think i just dont look good with that shorter hair. And my reasoning is if i dont look good at 2mm, there wont be magical transformation that i will look good sly. Rationale is if shorter hair didnt look good, clean shaved head will look even worse...
2. Afraid of people reaction. As anxious person i know this is something to work on, to not put emphasis on other opinion. It it just that i know if i will see laughs and negative comments from some people it will even more push me to shitty feeling about myself and whole thing...
3. Well to receive negative comments and laughs and then knowing that i am stuck as growing hair with my diffuse thinining and using gofybr is also stupid and notpractial solution in every aspect.

Hope for a little courage to get here, thanks guys!

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
Re: Looking for courage to do it!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 07:00:13 PM »
The itch to shave is there.  Why wait until some random date in May.  Do the deed now.
Everyone worries about head shape and what people will think and say.  Don't worry most people will not notice or make no comment.
Once you have done the deed make sure you take note of the 30 day  rule and post a pic.
You will be fine and the burst of confidence will put a smile on your fase.  Add a little facial hair if you can.
Roger

Offline StumpyDave

• Super Sly
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 08:44:13 AM »
Just do it!
Waiting will prolong (and enhance) the anxiety.
If you've got a close friend to confide in, tell them why you are considering it.  Get them to do it for you.
If anyone asks afterwards tell them that you didn't like the way you looked with hair and you're trying a different look for a month.

To really get you over the hump, do it for charity.  There was a big 'brave the shave' push in the UK to raise money for cancer research charities.  Convince people to give you money for the charity of your choice and then you could even sell rights to use the clippers to raise more.
Do it after work on a Friday.  That way you get a weekend to get used to the look and feel yourself.

Offline KITARA39

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 10:45:54 AM »
Thanks guys for replies. Well i choose may because i want to loose 5 kilos of fat before shaving, to compensate a little.
Also isnt it better to shave it when sun will be more often so the head can get some colour soon? Right now here is winter and cold and it will be to the end of march and probably under that hair is very white head. How long does it take for head to "catch color"?

Offline dshupe

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 11:02:08 AM »
I shaved mine in October 2016 and I really couldn't tell much if any color difference.

I encourage you go for it and I really think you will love it once you shave it!

Offline BigJinTX

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 05:24:46 PM »
i hear you.  i, too, was a bit concerned.  But... I wouldn't have met the woman who is now my wife of 30+ years if i had waited.   especially waited for 5 months to talk to her the first time.
There are haters everywhere.  I honestly expected more snide comments than i heard.   
getting more fit is always a good idea.   i wouldn't make that as excuse to wait.   honestly,  it would have given me months to think of a new excuse not to go sly.
same with the weather.   "i can't do this in the summer... I'll get a sunburn".   and on it goes.
EVERYONE doubts,  and is their own worst critic. 
Without seeing a pic,  and probably with one,  i say:
Do it.
Own it.
Commit to 30 days before deciding if you like it.

just my 2 cents.  keep the change.

(sorry,  typing on a phone sucks.)

Offline StumpyDave

• Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 05:31:20 AM »
As far as skin color and tanning goes:
1.  At the moment it is cold and dark and wet and all of your skin is about as pale as it is going to get.  When the sun has been around for a while your face will be more tanned and your head will seem paler to start with.
2.  Avoid getting your head burnt in the sun.  I think most of us will have done it at some time and regretted it when we next tried to shave.

Offline jbrit25

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 06:23:30 AM »
Don't wait man... just do it while you have the itch. Losing weight is just an excuse not to do it. You can still lose weight when you are bald; I've done it myself
Roll Tide!
COYS!

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 06:43:37 AM »
Your can keep making excuses to wait, but the anticipation will just cause anxiety. Give it a try, nobody will care about your hair after a few days. A shaved head is just another hairstyle.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 09:29:35 PM »
I get mild anxiety about social situations and fear of what others think sometimes.  I agree with the rest of the guys and think you should not set a date that's months away.  Do it this weekend.  The sooner you get it over with, the sooner the anxiety of not knowing what you'll look like and how others may react will be alleviated (they won't react badly, I promise.  Maybe a couple light-hearted jokes, nothing you can't handle.) 

I went to a barber when I was ready, had them buzz it all off, and man, it was seriously one of the most liberating and ecstatic feelings I ever felt.  I only waited a day or two after that to take the razor to it and go completely smooth.  I imagine you'll feel the same way and it's going to be a huge weight off your shoulders.  Do it!  O0

« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 09:32:03 PM by BillOnBass »
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline TheodorusRex

• Sly Jr.
  • Each moment is a place you've never been before.
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 05:53:09 AM »
I didn't have the luxury of picking a day... My GF was clipping my hair - took the guard off for some clean up - then accidently went back to clipping again.  Yeah, I had a big streak on my head, lol...   I took the guard off and buzzed the entire head.  Didn't like the patches - so I took the razor to it and have never looked back. 

After a few weeks - I've learned you must own it.  Be bold.  Go to the bar without a hat and be confident.  People (women) will def respond to your confidence.  Practice RADICAL SELF ACCEPTANCE.  Enjoy the ease of the new look.   You will also find that if you change your mindset - your head will actually start looking better to you. 
Started shaving November 25th, 2016

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 01:42:49 PM »
As with any big change in appearance, it takes some time to adjust.  So likely the time you buzzed, it wasn't your head shape you disliked, it was just the different person you saw in the mirror.  That is why we suggest the 30 day trial.  It gives you time to mentally adjust to the change.  When you can look in the mirror and no longer notice the lack of hair, you have mentally adjusted.  That is when guys start liking the look, except for the guys that instantly like it.  It also takes that long to develop a shave routine that works well for yourself.
SlyBeard

Offline Conservator

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 04:13:22 PM »
What surprised me was the favorable comments I got.  My wife had been after me to shave off the remainder of my hair and finally did it.  I was teased by some guys in a men's group - but that lasted only one day.  Now folks say they don't remember when I had some hair.
I'm not bald I'm follicly challenged.