Author Topic: Should I shave it  (Read 9937 times)

Offline Jglenn

• Learning the way of Sly
Should I shave it
« on: January 26, 2017, 09:43:45 PM »
I had fairly long hair years ago and the stepped down to a finger length on top with a #3 buzz on the sides/#4 or longer full beard about 8 or 10 years ago. I kind of felt like a change recently but wasn't sure if I should go all the way. A few weeks ago I got a #2 top and sides and liked it (shocked the hell out of the wife) but still wonder what I'd look like shaved all the way. It's grown most of the way back already so I'm thinking about shaving it again. My wife already said I shouldn't shave all the way but I'm still currious. I have a receding hailing that was completely hidden wit my finger length cut yet painfully obvious at a #2. Do I try a #1? #0? Just go all out and razor it? I'm afraid id look stupid razored but curious.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Should I shave it
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 11:17:16 PM »
Welcome! Do you have a picture you can post?
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 05:44:50 AM »
you will never know until you do it.  Do it.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 05:59:48 AM »
If you are curious about what having a shaved head is like, the itch won't go away until you try it.  Buzz down to a 0.  That'll give you a good idea of what you'll look like.  The real difference between a 0 and fully shaved is in how it feels.  And as we'll all tell you, the shaved feeling is great - and incredibly addicting.

If you do go down to a 0 and don't like it, you won't have to live with it very long.  In a week or two your hair will have grown out to a 2.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 07:00:08 AM »
I agree, once you have the itch, it will consume too much of your thought until you give it a try. It's only hair, it will grow back fast. Try the 30 day test, you will likely want to stay sly.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline dshupe

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 07:10:21 AM »
Welcome!! I agree, once the itch is there you won't be content until you try it.  You can always buzz down with no guard.  Good thing after doing that is if you aren't happy it will grow back out.  I suggest to give the 30 Day Rule a try.  Post some pictures if you like!

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 11:04:34 AM »
Go on..... give it a go......... you will like it

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 12:00:05 PM »
Agree with others.  Once you have the itch to shave it won't  go away  until you  do.  Give it a go  and don't  forget the 30 day  rule.
Roger

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 09:01:58 PM »
Hi nuts,

I've found that people are generally uncomfortable with change, even with trivial things like the hair length of their partner.  I think your wife may be ostensibly shocked when she sees you shaven bald (because you're going to do it, RIGHT??!  O0) and may give a few playfully needling comments, but she'll most likely get over your hairstyle change in a few days or a week or two.  If you decide you really like the look and feel of a razored dome I think she'll pick up on that and be more supportive if you decide to keep it styled like that indefinitely. Go for it!
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline Jglenn

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 12:12:38 PM »
Thanks guys. I'll probably end up trying it soon. It's already been a month since I did the #2 I think so it's grown back quite a bit but still short compared to my normal hair length. My wife was shocked and poked a little fun at me but also said she liked it. I might try a #1 next time, I'm not sure if I'm ready to take the plunge just yet.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 11:45:24 AM »
hello JGlenn:

I am a barber

I am BBC

The difference betweed an #2 and a #1 is one weeks' growth.

The difference between a #1 and a "no guard" buzz on most home hiarcutting clippers is 1 weeks' growth.

The difference between razor shaved and a #1 on a professional clipper is about 1 weeks' growth.

If you have the itch it will not go away.

If you do shave your head, you must remember the 30 day rule.  If you do not, you are just going to cause yourself further frustration.

So shave your head - it is only hair - a shaved head is just another haircut and a perfectly acceptable style choice.  What do you have to lose?  The next 30 days are going to pass either way!

Seems like a "no brainer" to me!

Offline Jglenn

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 07:39:37 PM »
I ended up doing a number 1 and got more of the same response from the wife. "Oh my, you have no hair!" Yet then later said she liked it. Got the same "wow that's one hell of a haircut" response from a few guys at work. It's mostly grown back now and getting on my nerves so I think it's time to take the plunge. Do I ask for a number 0 or a no guard buzz? If I don't hate it I'll probably shave it with a razor myself right away.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 08:39:37 PM »
To keep up these short lengths requires almost a weekly haircut. Get the clippers and do it yourself. 

You hair will grow from a full shave to a #1 in about 7 days. So a #1 becomes a #2 in 7 days. etc.

If you want to stay at #1, then run the clippers at least weekly.

The look of no-guard and razor shaved is only detectable up close.

But the razor shave FEELS the best. 

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 08:43:43 PM »
Well, if you go for the no guard buzz, you will be bald wing a little stubble. When your wife says omg, you're bald, you just say "I went this far, I might as well shave it".

Then you can post a photo on Facebook and say here's my summer haircut. I did that and got all positive comments.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Jglenn

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2017, 07:55:02 PM »
Well I went for the 0 (barber said she could have gone down to 0000?) And got the expected "you're bald" from the wifey. As suggested I said well I might as well shave it clean but she said no way. Everyone else complimented me on it though, guess I'll just ask for that 0000 next time and see what her reaction is, she probably wouldn't even notice the difference between that and a clean shave. She said she was worried it wouldn't grow back if I kept buzzing it so short.

Enter your email address: