Author Topic: some advice please  (Read 5681 times)

Offline losingit

• Learning the way of Sly
some advice please
« on: October 10, 2016, 09:00:03 PM »
hey guys I've been consistently loosing my hair since i was about 15 at 16 my parents took me to a hair clinic after it being re comended by a dermatologist and they gave me the standard propecia and their own minoxidil mix and this dumb fucking laser treatment once a month i barely used the minoxidil i took the pills once a day but i noticed weird stuff and i stopped after say 2 - 3 months because i was noticing some changes that concerned me side note (i dint know how they gave me that rubbish that young its fucked up!! anything for money dirtbags!).

sorry for the rambling okay so I'm 21 now and my hair is extremely thin i have been doing the comb over from about the age of 17 and now it is just shameful i hate being out in public it is causing outbursts of anger in me and is has had a detrimental affect on my relationship of 2 years and my depression about it and alto of other things in my life dint help. I want a new start i want to make some life changes get healthier and clean up alto of aspects of my life as stress and being unhealthy I'm not huge only 75kg but very unhealthy smoke too much dint exercise up all night and sleep all day. I feel like my hair finally needs to go I'm done salvaging something that's not there researched and researched for years for treatments and so far in 2016 there is jack sh*t for a viable long term treatment the money in keeping someone in your pocket for life as opposed to one time fix well yeah you do the math.

so ill post some pics even though as most guys in my situation hate photos

thanks guys appreciate this
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 11:09:05 PM by losingit »

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
Re: some advice please
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 11:21:44 PM »
Greetings fro Canberra.  I'm at the other end of the age scale (75) but a couple of thoughts.  Keep away from all the drugs that some charlatans want you to take - not a good scene with awful side effects.  Secndly cut out the smokes (also disastrous) and take a look at your fitness and diet.

I realise it is a bummer losing your hari at a young age but it is not the end of the world.  Girls are more attracted to confident guys and those being wimpish about their hair.  A shaved head is now a common look.

Discuss with your parents but why not try a short buzz and see what you think.  You can always go down to a shaved head if you are comfortable with that. 

Roger

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 07:14:27 AM »
Like Nuts I am at the other end of the age scale (63) and I can tell you from experience that one of the major contributors to a lot of the emotional suffering that I have gone through in my life has had its roots in attachment. Life has taught me several extremely hard lessons in the last 6 months and while sometimes I have felt as though nothing that I do is worth the effort the other side of that coin is that I am learning that being attached to things has created a lot of misery. Anything, including life itself, can be snatched away in literal seconds. So what I am striving for at this point is real simplification of life.
I know that at your age, and I would probably have reacted to this loss the same way 42 years ago, thinning hair seems like the end of the world. Hair is a thing. It is part of the superficial weight that we all carry because part of human nature is a desire to be viewed with envy, or at least with respect, by those around us. Kind of in the same category as having the nicer car or the bigger house. But on a scale of what is really important it ranks far down the list from, among other things, our addiction to oxygen.
I know that this is a lot to ask of you, particularly in a society that values the superficial above a lot of what is really important, but try to view your hair loss in this respect. It says nothing of who you are on the inside, how much you do to try to make the world a peaceful place or whether you do something to the benefit of someone else even though it may cause you momentary inconvenience. Because, speaking only for myself, having wasted so much of my time with materialistic pursuits I can look back and honestly say that my priorities were misaligned.
Your confidence will come from the knowledge that you know you are on the right path and have committed to that regardless of what anyone else thinks. And while that confidence may not attract a large group of friends it will attract the right ones.
So I don't have any advice for you regarding the way you might choose to style your hair but my recommendation is to see it in its true level of importance because it doesn't define you unless you allow it.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline losingit

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 07:44:50 AM »
do you guys think a buzz cut say a 1 or even .5 blade for the top and 0 sides would help?

the diffused thinning makes it hard to have my hair in any style really, but if i make it really short do you guys think it would look better?

alot of views but no replys come on guys some advice would be really appreciated

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 11:25:39 AM »
Welcome! I would say that you should try a 1" first if you're not ready to shave. There is some thinning, but the horseshoe isn't quite developed. You may have a little more time before shaving becomes your only option.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline jbrit25

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 12:56:52 PM »
Ill echo Sir Harry. You've got some time before its too bad, but the reality is you will get there one day. Its never a bad thing to take control of the situation, and do things on your terms. Definitely lay off the hair regrowth drugs. Little reward, high risk. Also, you seem to have a good head shape. Bald is not a bad option these days. Once you try it, you'll really like it.
Roll Tide!
COYS!

Offline Jordan1991

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 10:06:28 PM »
I'm going to echo everyone else here. Stay away from the drugs and shave down as close as your comfortable with.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 03:04:48 PM »
I suggest a close buzz cut at this point.  You don't have any bald spots, and the thinness will not show with a close buzz.  Once you get obvious balding with a buzz, then shave.  You could shave now, but is doesn't sound like you are ready for a shave yet.  A close buzz will help you get accustomed to the look and still have some hair.
SlyBeard

Offline losingit

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 10:09:48 AM »
well as of lately i have been doing some research and i think its just out of desperation but i was wanting to try those drugs again but i dont know yet. has any one has any luck with this stuff

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 12:31:17 AM »
Taking pills with nasty side-effects are never a good idea. When in doubt, shave it!

I live in a country where there is a HUGE amount of young, balding guys (high-stress environment = balding). It is not uncommon for the these guys to just go and shave.

You live in a time period where so many different ways to appearing is considered OK. Once you shave, and you keep it shaved, you will never look back.

Good luck.