Author Topic: 22 and thinning bad  (Read 4016 times)

Offline SomewhereInSpace

• Learning the way of Sly
22 and thinning bad
« on: August 03, 2016, 01:31:07 PM »
I was 17 when kids in high school noticed my hairloss, it was minimal so I wasn't insecure about it then. Fast forward to about 19, when it thinned so much on top that it didn't look good at all, I hid it as much as I could. I wore hoodies, hats/beanies all the time. I'm at the point now where the I know the hair has to go, because it won't magically grow back (how I wish).

I was thinking of buzzing it with a #4 guard (maybe), but since my hair is thin on top and thick on the back and sides, the hair will be uneven, right? Should I buzz down to a number #1 instead?

Sent from my C6522N using Tapatalk

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
Re: 22 and thinning bad
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 01:45:56 PM »
Welcome to the board, Somewhere.

I also started losing at 17, and had the full on MPB showing by the time I was 21. It ain't fun, but it is not the end of the world. A lot of guys start to lose their hair at your age, and a huge industry now has grown that is devoted to separating desperate men from their money. Good for you for keeping everything in perspective.

The shorter you buzz, the less noticeable your hair and what is going on up there will be. The #1 will work best for you if that is your goal.

Glad you joined us, sir.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline SomewhereInSpace

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 01:55:26 PM »
Welcome to the board, Somewhere.

I also started losing at 17, and had the full on MPB showing by the time I was 21. It ain't fun, but it is not the end of the world. A lot of guys start to lose their hair at your age, and a huge industry now has grown that is devoted to separating desperate men from their money. Good for you for keeping everything in perspective.

The shorter you buzz, the less noticeable your hair and what is going on up there will be. The #1 will work best for you if that is your goal.

Glad you joined us, sir.
Thanks for your input. I'll have to work up a tan on my dome lol

Offline kerryman

• Sly
  • Life is what you make of it
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 01:56:11 PM »
Firstly welcome to the group i'm sure you will find it very helpful. I walked in the exact  same shoes you are now walking in so i know exactly how you feel. We all deal with hairloss  differently  and in our own way so i will leave the big decision to you if you want to shave . About the hair cut spend a few bob and go to a proper barber for advice on the look. If i may give my personal advice to you, please do not waste the best years of life worrying about hair loss and covering it up which can depress you . It is not worth the agony . I wish i had dealt with hairloss  by shaving it off years ago when i was your age (i'm 30 now ) . I let my hair loss destroy my self esteem and pushed friends away because i was too embarrassed to embrace the new me which was bald me. It's not an easy road but we all eventually accept who we are. I just hope you can avoid the rubbish i put myself through . Best of luck in whatever you decide .  Please do not waste these years because you wont get them back !!.Enjoy life .     
Some men see things as they are and say why ?. I dream things things that never were and ask: why not ??

Offline SomewhereInSpace

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 02:06:44 PM »
Firstly welcome to the group i'm sure you will find it very helpful. I walked in the exact  same shoes you are now walking in so i know exactly how you feel. We all deal with hairloss  differently  and in our own way so i will leave the big decision to you if you want to shave . About the hair cut spend a few bob and go to a proper barber for advice on the look. If i may give my personal advice to you, please do not waste the best years of life worrying about hair loss and covering it up which can depress you . It is not worth the agony . I wish i had dealt with hairloss  by shaving it off years ago when i was your age (i'm 30 now ) . I let my hair loss destroy my self esteem and pushed friends away because i was too embarrassed to embrace the new me which was bald me. It's not an easy road but we all eventually accept who we are. I just hope you can avoid the rubbish i put myself through . Best of luck in whatever you decide .  Please do not waste these years because you wont get them back !!.Enjoy life .   
Thank you for the advice!!

Offline Miller1989

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 02:17:55 PM »
Go for the close buzz! You won't regret it. When you go out, look around. Lots of guys have their heads buzzed and shaved, so you'll fit right in.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 05:42:03 AM »
A short buzz will make thin hair less noticeable even if you are very thin on top.  You can try going progressively shorter to see what length works best for you.  A decent barber can do this for you.  If you decide to go full sly and don't like it, your hair will grow back pretty quickly.

Good luck in your decision.  At 22 you should be enjoying life, not worrying about hair loss.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 04:01:19 AM »
A #4 isn't going to do much for you.  Go with a #2 or shorter.  Good luck.