Author Topic: Alright, I want your opinion! - pics inside  (Read 8441 times)

Offline Darin

• Learning the way of Sly
Alright, I want your opinion! - pics inside
« on: April 16, 2007, 11:54:02 PM »
Hello there, sly guys!

I've entertained myself (or rather frightened myself) for the past few weeks over the idea of shaving my head. I have really long hair right now and I'm 19, but due to genetics, that hair isn't going to be here for too much longer as I am already thinning (mainly at the temples). If I have to go bald, then damnit, it's going to be my decision and not natures!

Being a little vain, naturally I was a little scared of what it would look like. Well, I looked up a photoshop tutorial on making a person look bald and I applied it to myself and here are a few before and after pics(I have more too):

You cant really see my long hair because it's tied up in a ponytail.

I already know what you guys are going to say about it based on the numerous posts I have read thus far. "Looks great bro!" So, I wont ask that, but dont be shy to flatter me anyway.

My question is this: does this look like a fairy accurate depiction of what I could look lie being sly?

I'm seriously thinking of doing this. I will donate all my hair to locks of love. I figure someone out there needs that hair more than I do.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Alright, I want your opinion! - pics inside
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 12:02:27 AM »
Looks horrible!

Just kidding dude!  I knew you were expecting us to say that it looks great (because it does) but I wanted to get your attention.

Anyways, I think your head will have a little more "natural" shape to it than what you have portrayed in the photoshop job, but I don't think you're too far off.  I think the top pic will be a better representation than the bottom pic.

One of the things about shaving your head is that it draws the attention to your face more and actually helps in communicating with people because they don't have anywhere else to look if they're going to look at you.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 12:02:58 AM »
By the way...welcome to Sly Bald Guys!!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Darin

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 12:49:33 AM »
Thanks Tyler for your input. I agree with you. Photoshop can only go so far and it's hard to really see what your head would look like bald when you photoshop a pic of yourself.

Also, I agree that in the bald pics, it does bring more attention to my face.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 12:59:14 AM »
Darin - you're welcome.

Offline Kajun

• T-Sly Boudreaux
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 01:35:04 AM »
i'd say you got plenty of years left with hair...dont sweat "temples" lol..but if you must shave your head.. i'd say take it down to a #2 first and wear it like that for awhile..then go to #1..then if your feelin the Sly urge....break out the razor!
VIVA LA SLY REVOLUCION!!!

Offline David

• the v-train is coming through
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 01:43:46 AM »
I think it's about right.    My advice to you is you are young, and why not do it.   At this point if you don't like it after, your hair will grow back and you just added a new experience to your life.    It's a low risk high reward proposition.
bald for life

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 05:27:55 AM »
Welcome Darin, glad you're aboard.  Tyler''s right, that top pic looks the most natural.  Secoondly, as David said, why not do it now while you're young and can still grow it back if you want to.  With summer coming on the feel of a sly head would be great, you look good sly from the photo, and you can always grow it back if you find that right now it's not for you. Plus some lucky person gets your hair for the emotional support they need in chemo. Sounds like a win-win to me.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 06:49:15 AM »
Yup, shave it, and welcome too.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

BALDANDRE

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 08:21:29 AM »
It looks good and I'm sure it will look even better than the photoshop job....

Making the wacky face (in the second one) doesn't help the cause to see if it really looks good..no offense, but you see that a lot in St. baldricks before and afters...and of course it looks a bit off from your normal look...

Seems like a lot of really long haired dudes will go straight to bald from long hair...I think going just to a regular haircut is too normal for someone that has already stood out in the crowd (it happened with my brother in law, buzzed bald)....

I say go for it, it's in your head now ...and you wont be satisifed until you're completely bald and completely sly...trust me on that one!

Good luck , my soon to be bald brutha!

Offline blondeguy

• Super Sly
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 09:40:23 AM »
One of the things about shaving your head is that it draws the attention to your face more and actually helps in communicating with people because they don't have anywhere else to look if they're going to look at you.

This is so true.  A lot of guys fret over their head shape when that's the last thing people pay attention to.  I thought people would be looking at the top of my head all the time, but when look at me or speak to me, they look directly at my face.

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 12:35:01 PM »
 :) Darin, hi and welcome. It seems to me you're ahead of the curve and to be admired for facing an inevitability with a clearheaded idea of your options. But it's not time yet, unless the top and crown of your head are thinner than the pics indicate. I'd bide my time, enjoy having hair while I could--unless the bald look really talks to you and you want to preempt Mother Nature-- and then, when the  balding becomes noticeable/the costs [emotional and financial] of keeping up an illusion prohibitive, activate the plan you have recently conceived. Of course, given the members of this forum, we'd welcome you to full sly-hood immediately, if you decide to embrace the bald look now. Let us know your decision. Professor Melon
Embrace the bald truth

Offline Darin

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2007, 07:42:16 PM »
Seems like a lot of really long haired dudes will go straight to bald from long hair...I think going just to a regular haircut is too normal for someone that has already stood out in the crowd (it happened with my brother in law, buzzed bald)....

That's exactly how I feel about it. It's not like I have anything against the norm, but something is telling me it's either long or none. Besides, IF I didn't like it, I could grow it back, but I probably wouldn't grow it long again. Plus, with summer approaching, I'm sure it would feel awesome.

At first I was totally scared about the idea of shaving my head, and the pics posted above with me having hair really hide the truth behind the speed at which I'm thinning. Now, after thinking about it for a while and looking at the pics I've photoshopped, I'm becoming more and more comfortable with the look and a bunch of my friends tell me to go for it. My best friend told me that when and if I decide to do it (which would be the beginning of next month if I do), he would do it too.

Thanks for all the comments. I appreciate it and I'm glad to be a part of this supportive community.

BALDANDRE

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2007, 05:18:42 PM »
[quote author=Darin link=topic=1483.msg23776#msg23776 date=1176860536

At first I was totally scared about the idea of shaving my head, and the pics posted above with me having hair really hide the truth behind the speed at which I'm thinning. Now, after thinking about it for a while and looking at the pics I've photoshopped, I'm becoming more and more comfortable with the look and a bunch of my friends tell me to go for it. My best friend told me that when and if I decide to do it (which would be the beginning of next month if I do), he would do it too.

Thanks for all the comments. I appreciate it and I'm glad to be a part of this supportive community.
[/quote]

Hey Darin, I'm glad you're seeing it the way that you are...truthfully i think that is when a long haired dude regrets it BIG TIME...going mainstream..

but having a completely slick bald head is real cool for all the reasons you've heard here on the board...you'll get attention...and it will be good....

you'll even find that you MAY keep some of the old "long haired Darin" female admirers dig the new bald version of you...

and believe me you WILL love the new girls that LOVE a bald head...THEY are from a different stock.....

cool girls and cool, non, conforming attitudes...and those are the ones that you want to have around in the end...uh,. Hotcajun, Magma?!

YOU'LL see!

Keep us posted on your journey to the SLY side and post a pic of you (and your buddy, hold him to it) with the new slicked dome!

Take care my soon to be balded sly brutha!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 05:20:32 PM by BALDANDRE »