Author Topic: To do it or to not!!!  (Read 9325 times)

Offline Itsonlyinmyhead

• When will it happen?
  • Sly
To do it or to not!!!
« on: April 06, 2007, 01:40:08 PM »
Well I got this link off another forum hairlosstalk.
Im a 23 year old, Im blonde, have been losing my hair since I was 15 but at a slow pace
Ive been thinking about shaving my head for the last couple of months since my hair is getting too thin and receeded. I have come to terms with all this so Im not one of these guys who is a majorly despressed because of this.

BUT

I really dont think it would suit me as

1. Im skinny
2. my ears stick out abit
3. my nose isnt small
4. I just generally dont think it would suit my head shape

and I dont think my family would like it all as they are quite conservative

Any advice would be more than welcome

Offline Dtopford

• Sly
  • after the shave
Re: To do it or to not!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 02:38:17 PM »
welcome Itsonlyinmyhead All I can tell ya is that this is a gathering of a great bunch of people. I am sure teh others will post thier opinions and thoughts also. As for myself I havn't seen a pic yet of a bad looking sly every one has imperfections on their heads both real and imagined (I have a flat spot LOL). The only thing I can tell you is that I shaved it a couple weeks ago and I love it, been shaving every two days since to keep it slick.

Good luck with your decision and once again welcome. O0

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 02:39:07 PM »
Welcome Itso, glad you found us.  If you check out alot of the other threads you'll see that almost every guy here had a concern about a believed imperfection.  After going sly these concerns disappear and are replaced with confidence about yourself and your appearance.  Because we care about our family and friends, their views are always important.  But it is your head and you should be able to show them that it would be important for you to go sly.  
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 02:50:30 PM »

1. Im skinny
3. my nose isnt small

These are the same thoughts that most of us had prior to taking the plunge.   Here are my thoughts:

1.  Being too skinny or too fat is a separate issue altogether.  Join a gym and bulk up (or slim down as the case may be).  It's no reason not to shave  your head.

2.  Your ears are supposed to stick out a bit

3.  Your nose size is what it is.   Shaving your head isn't going to make it look any bigger or any smaller.  It will look the same as it does now.

4.  Another common fear that almost never turns out to be the case.  Nobody's head shape is perfect; we're all just far more critical of our own appearances than we are of other people's.  I'm sure you have nothing to worry about, but if it makes you feel better, post a photo of yourself and we'll all give you our honest opinions.

As for your family, they may very well not like it.  Mine didn't, and I took some flack for it.  And to be honest, that is one of the biggest reasons I put it off for as long as I did.  But in the end, you have to do what you want.  They will get used to it.  They may not ever really love it, but they'll still love you, and eventually they'll shut up about your hair.  Believe me, if my mom finally shut up about it, anybody will.

If you've gotten to the point where you're seriously considering shaving, then you owe it to yourself to give it a try.  In my experience, you will know no peace until you do, because  you will always be wondering what it's like.  Just remember, it's not a permanent change unless you want it to be.  Your hair will grow back more quickly than you think, if you don't like it.   In all likelihood, you'll be very happy with the results.  Most people are.  And if you don't like it, at least you will have found out for sure.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 03:14:46 PM by RazorX »

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 03:07:46 PM »
Welcome man!  You have one thing that many of us wish we had - blonde hair.  This puts you one step ahead of many of us because you will have little or no shadow whatsoever. 

As for your fears, listen to RazorX.  I have yet to meet a guy that didn't wonder why he didn't shave his head sooner.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 04:09:34 PM »
Family will come around, it's more about how you will feel about yourself. Do you think your conservative family would prefer a comb over ? My conservative father was always harping on us to cut our hair (into "hair bands" in the 80s). You can't get any shorter than SLY.

I love my look, and I know everyone else here loves their look and the decision they made to go sly.
Good luck with your decision.
Schro

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 04:11:17 PM »
Do you think your conservative family would prefer a comb over ?

One of my aunts actually suggested that I do that.  I shot that idea down immediately.

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 04:28:16 PM »
 b0x3r TAKE THAT, AUNTIE!

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline iBald

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 04:49:05 PM »
Try this one at a time.

Well I got this link off another forum hairlosstalk.
Im a 23 year old, Im blonde, have been losing my hair since I was 15 but at a slow pace
Ive been thinking about shaving my head for the last couple of months since my hair is getting too thin and receeded. I have come to terms with all this so Im not one of these guys who is a majorly despressed because of this.

BUT

1. Im skinny

Brager!!!

I take an asprin and gain 5lbs.

Seriously, you are skinny with hair and will be skinny without, makes no difference.

They will with thining hair too.

Have you watched American Idol this season? Seriously. Phil is bald with larger ears then normal and it looks fine on him. Now he wears too many hats but he looks good with the bald head.

3. my nose isnt small

Doesn't matter.

Do what I did, go with a buzz at first and wait two days to see if YOU like it. Then go all the way. Conservative... Hmm most consevatives are very pro military and most of my military friends are buzzed or sly.  It's your life, you choose, not them.

Buzz short then shave... If you don't try it, you'll will always wonder what it will be like. Also if your thining hair is effecting your confidence, then going sly will give you some. A must if you're 23. I wish I went sly back then.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 04:50:37 PM by iBald »

Offline blondeguy

• Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 06:06:15 PM »
Welcome to SBG!

1. Im skinny

So am I.

Everyone's ears stick out a little.  Trust me, nobody will notice.  In fact, after I shaved my head, nobody ever glances at the top of my head or ears when speaking to me.  People can't help but zero in on your face, which will stand out more.

3. my nose isnt small

I have a long, pointy nose.

This is a common fear.  You have to understand that every bump and ridge you feel with your hands is exaggerated in your mind, and it will all disappear when it blends into the rest of your shaved skin.

This one's a toughie, because my family was supportive.  I suspect it won't be as much of an issue as you think it might be, but you do have to keep in mind that shaving your head is something you have to want to do, and that's what should count to them.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 06:06:43 PM »
Welcome, I.O.I.M.H!!!

Lotsa good advice here already.....take heed, well-met fellow O0

Offline Beer Barron

• Super Sly
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 06:21:39 PM »
Welcome to the group Itsonlyinmyhead.  The only thing I'll add is that you'll never know until you sly, I mean try.   ;)

Offline Itsonlyinmyhead

• When will it happen?
  • Sly
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007, 04:50:26 AM »
Wow, I posted last night(UK time) and I get all this.
 Its pretty amazing how positive everyone is. On the hairloss forum everyone seems to be so down.
 Cheers for the comments. I just wish I could find out what it looked like before but I suppose thats impossible.

Offline Ian

• UK Baldie
  • Super Sly
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2007, 06:30:27 AM »
I'm in the UK aswell,if your not sure about going Sly then go down to a grade 2 or 1,it wont be such a big change that way.Have you spoke to your parents about it? my Mum (R.I.P) was the one that told me to go & get it shaved in the first place.
I knew I was going bald when it was taking longer and longer to wash my face

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2007, 07:07:37 AM »
I just wish I could find out what it looked like before but I suppose thats impossible.

There is such a place you can go!

http://headshave.baldlygo.com/

Click on the "Shave Me" button

The owner of this site will do a photoshop of any photo you email him.  If you don't mind waiting a while....I think he'll do it for free (but it could be a long wait).

If you pay $10.00, he'll turn it around in like 72 hours and he'll do 4 renderings with various facial hair if you like.

Give it a try....I did back before I shaved.....here's mine from back in October.