Author Topic: Christian Men with Earrings  (Read 18428 times)

Offline paperclip

• Sly Jr.
Christian Men with Earrings
« on: January 31, 2016, 12:10:45 PM »
Hey,

I wonder are there any of you on here who are Christians and maybe attend church who have earrings?

I have been wearing my earrings in both ears for about 4 months now. I switch between cz studs and some black studs about 4 mm in diameter.

I haven't had any negative feedback until 2 weeks ago at church.

An older woman who is a friend of my wife's finally noticed I was wearing stud earrings (she's seen me before many times but never said anything to me about them).
She asked me why did I wear them and I said because I like them. She went on to say that they were a sign of vanity and that I was being rebellious. So, not exactly a rebuke, but I could tell she didn't think I should be wearing them (I don't care what she thinks, I'm still wearing them because I want to)

Just wondering if anyone else has had someone say anything negative about their earrings at a church type setting. Were you told they were inappropriate? And if so how did you respond?

There is a debate whether Christian men should wear earrings--the whole issue of "men wearing women's attire and women wearing men's attire". I don't look at earrings as "womens" attire any more than long pants are "mens" attire.

I have another Christian male friend on another forum who has been wearing earrings for years and he attends a church and has had no negative comments. he was told by his pastor that as long as they weren't satanic in nature that there wasn't a problem. Same with tattoos.

Other than the one older woman who commented, no one else has commented negatively. Another woman in our church bible study group noticed my earrings back in November and just asked me if they were new to which I replied yes.
So not everyone is against them.

Any thoughts?

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: Christian Men with Earrings
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 01:27:07 PM »
Narrow minded old woman, pay no attention.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 02:16:51 PM »
There are many guys at the church I attend that wear various piercings.  I think the key thing in your story is that the woman is older.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 03:57:38 PM »
Some people are just really uptight about this sort of thing.  I've never understood why.  There is no Scriptural reasonings behind their opinions and their arguments do not stand up to scrutiny.  Being a Christian and wearing earrings are not mutually exclusive things.

Offline BaldBassMan

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 05:48:14 PM »
I don't see any issue with it in my church at all. One of the pastors from a sister church down the road has numerous tattoos as well as holes in his ears where ear rings used to be, as do I.

The older generations see things quite a bit differently than we do these days, but ear rings are definitely not just a female wardrobe item.
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. - Romans 12:2

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 06:16:31 PM »
There are not too many earrings in the guys at my church, however, quite a few of them have holes in their ears where earrings used to be.  They got them when they were younger and now, due to working in a professional business environment, they no longer wear them (dress code at work). 

I don't have a problem with wearing an earring.

Offline paperclip

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 08:28:46 PM »
Thanks for your responses. I feel a little better in regards my being a Christian and wearing earrings.

My problem is when I have something on my mind I tend to over-analyze things so I go to the internet and check out what people are saying. There is such a wide spectrum of opinions it is hard to figure out what is acceptable and not sometimes.

I have no intention of getting rid of my earrings. It is important to me that I continue to wear them. It has a lot to do with being assertive and showing confidence. Along with the shaved head.

By posting this question here, I just wanted to see what the general consensus was regarding this topic. I have posted on another forum about this issue and I got similar responses. The reaction I got at church was the opinion of the person giving it and she is entitled to her opinion. I see other guys at church with earrings so I figured there was no problem. Your responses here only reinforce my own opinion that it is not a big deal.

I just wondered if anyone else had gotten a negative reaction.

When this person made the comment at church, my wife was standing with me and she said "I don't like them, but I probably do things he doesn't like". So my wife doesn't really like me wearing earrings (she's old fashioned) but she can't stop me from wearing them. she tolerates them which is very mature of her. The older woman at church was a little taken aback that I didn't ask my wife's permission to wear the earrings. I think that was half the reason she made the comment in the first place. To see what my reaction would be.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 08:37:14 PM »
Vanity, eh? Was she wearing jewelry? Make-up? Had her hair styled?

Offline DeanJones

• Dean Jones
  • Sly Jr.
  • Baldie for life!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 09:14:11 PM »
It was mentioned in deuteronomy that a servant shall have an awl put through it, and a nail through to show that they are a servant.
Many knights Templar would do this and wear a gold nail to sybolize that they were servants for life to christ.
In the song by the Christian recording artist Kemper crabb he uses this symbolism as a lyric
"Here is my ear / Drive through the nail / The world will know / By the ring that I wear / That I am not for sale" — "Doulos" (Kemper Crabb).
I'm bald, and I love it! Bald is the best! Bald for life!

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 10:24:01 PM »
I attend a very proper (some would say prestigious) church in a very upscale area of Chicago.  I got my ears pierced about two years ago - and shortly thereafter they made me a deacon!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 12:00:37 AM »
I see plenty of guys at my church with at least one earring. Our organist has two hoops in both ears. On the other side of the coin, we have three women that are sly, and no one makes anything of that, either!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline paperclip

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 05:39:17 AM »
Vanity, eh? Was she wearing jewelry? Make-up? Had her hair styled?

That's funny, that was the first thing I thought about after talking with this woman. I didn't think of it while talking to her. But that's right. She did have earrings, makeup and hair styled. Kind of an ironic comment to make to me (my hair wasn't styled...I don't have any...)(Oh, and I don't wear makeup...)
Is it vain that a man wear earrings but it's not when a woman does? Of course not!

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 02:20:40 PM »
I am in the "bible belt" and while not common, there are a number of guys in Church with earrings or other piercings.  Probably just the older ladies that object.  But I consider it very rude to voice the objection.
SlyBeard

Offline paperclip

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 05:21:04 PM »
this woman is a friend and "church mentor" for my wife, and it's just her personality that makes her say what she said. I was a little taken aback by her remark (as I've worn earrings for the past four months) and she never said anything about them before. I think she noticed before and didn't say anything until it bugged her and she finally had to say something.

i didn't really take it too seriously and it didn't really bother me. I have to expect comments from people about things like this. I'm just surprised I haven't gotten more negative comments actually. No one else at church has said anything about my earrings except for 2 women. one said it was a bold move to wear earrings in both ears and the other woman just asked if the studs were new. So no negative comments.

It just bugs me when people ask "why do you wear earrings?" Why do you think? Because I like them and I think they look good on me. Why else would I wear them? Why does anyone wear any particular piece of jewelry? Because they like it.

It's just a dumb question, I think...

Offline Quiet_Dan

• Super Sly
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2016, 02:55:04 AM »
I'm a Christian and have no problem with it. The church I go to is pretty conservative but accepting of people, there is even one man who before he became a Christian he had bikie (gang) contacts and drug user, and he has earrings and tattoos all over his body, including naked women. No one tells him to cover, it's about his heart, he is the kindest man ever and would be to first to be praying for you if you are in a tough time. Sure if it was me I would probably choose to cover them up in church but that doesn't diminish my opinion of him
God created only a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair!