Author Topic: My story of going bald  (Read 12534 times)

Offline spider170383

• Learning the way of Sly
My story of going bald
« on: November 19, 2012, 05:45:59 PM »
Hi,
I'm currently 29 years old, but my hair started receding in my late teens, but still had a full head of hair , and still very thick (which I was noticed by having very thick hair up to that point) until it became noticeable when I was 22, and my girlfriend at the time noticed a small bald spot on my head. It was since then my hair quickly thinned out on top. At that point I use to have an undercut hairstyle, but having that with hair thinning on top started making it look ridiculous. The time for the dramatic change happened when my mum said to me one day just to shave it all off. Having longer hair on top with it thinning out just made it even more noticeable.
At the time I was studying and still had longish hair on top, and my classmates have never seen me with really short hair. One night I took my mum's advice. I used my electric hair clippers (which I originally used to shave my own undercut), attached a #2 blade and went to work.
The next day I went to school wearing a hat, but by the time I took it off my classmates were a little shocked and asking me why I did it? I explained that I am going bald, and now is a good time to embrace it and not to hide it.
Over time my hair loss became increasingly noticeable and there was certainly no going back to having longer hair again. And I'm not one for spending lots of money on hairloss treatments. It's part of nature, and many many other males are in the same situation as me. So why hide it?
Some time after I took the plunge and shaved my hair with no guard, applied shaving cream and shaved my head completely smooth. I've done that regularly for a few years now, but sometimes I'll let it go for a few weeks, and then I'll either shave with just clippers, and other times I would go with the sly look. I especially go with the sly look in the summer time. It feels so liberating!!!
My new girlfriend hasn't yet seen me with the sly look yet, so one day she'll notice. But luckily she's not the type to judge by appearance, but by their personality. So I have no fear of her getting upset about me having no hair, hair doesn't make who you are as a person.
So people, embrace baldness, there's nothing to feel ashamed or embarrassed about. It's a part of nature  ;)

Offline OzSly

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: My story of going bald
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 06:04:18 PM »
G'Day Spider,

Thanks for the story mate.

My eldest brother and I began losing our hair early on, must of taken our dads genes as he started losing his hair at a young age. My eldest brother use to do the old comb over.....which was ok I guess but if the wind blew the comb over would be flapping around, that was so funny to see ;D

Me, on the other hand after trying everything from losing my hair, you know....Project X will grow hair on a billiard ball!!! Kind of stuff. I said  bugger it!! and decided to go SLY!! That was back in 1997 and haven't looked back.

O0

Offline spider170383

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 06:13:17 PM »
I've always avoided the combover look, it's so ridiculous!!!!
Better off going with the low maintenance style. And don't have to worry about brushing in the mornings, or for it to go messy on windy days. And save a bit of money on shampoo.
So yeah, no going back!!!  :)

Offline Crusher0209

• Super Sly
  • Life is short and you never know when it will end
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 06:35:20 PM »
I'm in high school now and I am completely bald and shave my head regularly and I wasn't even losing my hair I thought it would be best to start early than wait for my hair to go. I love being bald and I love hearing your story it makes me feel like I made the right choice and I'm proud of it. Hope your girlfriend likes it and will notice one day.

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 07:24:02 PM »
Welcome back spider ... been a long time since your last visit. Great that you can speak with experience of being Slyish for these many years.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 05:14:39 AM »
You look great,    I kept my hair short buzz from your age on - became just me.

Andrei

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 01:37:57 PM »
Balding can be controlled only with a razor.
Looking great sly.

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 01:57:37 PM »
you got a strong, masculine, contemporary look. keep this and your days of worrying 'bout hair follicles are in the past. it is a freeing feeling 4 sure.