Author Topic: Really wanting to shave but....  (Read 2870 times)

Offline thebloodly

• Learning the way of Sly
Really wanting to shave but....
« on: October 02, 2017, 05:29:43 PM »
Hi, guys,

Long story short: I'm battling hair loss now since 2 years and it got me to a point, which I sometimes think, I cant do this anymore. Now with Toppik and a shortcut, it looks "okay".

Since I'm still young, dating women is important for me which is normal and should be.
Last Sunday I thought: "f**k it lets shave your head next week" just to see how it looks...cant gets more depressed anyway. The problem has I met a woman and I'm going to her (another country 2 flight hours) and spend 1 week with her. Don't worry, I don't love her or anything I'm aware of long distance doesn't work but still, I was (well I'm) excited to spend a nice week. So I chickened out to not shave (I wanted it to do today).

I know my post is a bit silly. Just don't know who else to talk to (I don't know any bald/balding) guy. People with hair tell you always the same sh*t. Bruce Willis blah blah sure sure.

How long does it take to regrow hair from shaving to a short-medium hair head of hair? Should I visit her with a shaven head even when I look like a cancer patient?

Thanks, guys.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Really wanting to shave but....
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 12:42:40 AM »
It doesn't take more than 48 hours to start having a buzz cut look. Have you thought about the alternative? What if she finds your Toppik?

Give shaving a go. You won't look like a "cancer patient."
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline thebloodly

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 07:19:04 AM »
Thanks Tyler for your response.

Yeah, the Toppik story is also the reason why I want to shave. I always "hid" my toppik from the girls I had lol. And showering together and stuff like that...cant do it. I look terrible after a shower. If I'm going for buzzcut, will definitely post some pictures here. If it looks bad please tell me.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 12:02:05 AM »
Do what makes you feel most confident. No need to rush into shaving if your not ready. But if your ready to give it a try , then do it. The first time is the hardest.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline _Dan_

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 01:30:25 PM »
ok few things, some may of already been mentioned:

1) yeah its best to use some decent products but also dont over do it. Personally i find best results with a pre-shave gel, combined with headblades headslick. I actually get less irritation with headslick than any of the good quality shaving creams. Then post shave, some aloe vera/witch hazel product. Plus a bit of Nivea men sensitive aftershave balm and sometimes a little moisturiser.

2) 6 blades could actually be causing more pulling.  Particularly in the areas where your hair is still dense. Because the spacing between the blades is very close and they're not really suited to how dense head hair can be. I find 3 blades to be the limit and tend to stick with the mach 3. Which is also reasonable cost wise, which is another factor to consider....replacement cartridges for a 6 blade razor are not cheap and you'll see why that is important in a second.

3) you can't use dull blades, cartridge razors typically only get 2 - 3 good head shaves out of them. 4 at a push. Anything past that and you'll get more pulling as the blades will be too dull.

4) if you're waiting too long between headshaves then that can also cause more pulling as its a lot easier to shave a head that only has 1 - 2 days growth maximum than it is to shave 3 - 5 days growth. Plus you should always go with the grain first if you're leaving it that long, just to cut it down a bit before  going against the grain.
So ideally to make things easy...and faster, shaving every other day or every day is usually best. This Also reduces  any sports/breakouts as they tend to occur when enough of the hair has grown back  and oil has started to be produced around the hair follicle. I get no breakouts at all if i keep head  shaving every other day.
annnnddd that also jumps back to the cost factor. If you do start to shave every day or every other day then you'll realise how fast you go through those cartridges and suddenly having to replace a 6 blade  razor so frequently becomes no where near feasible.

apologies if that was a bit long