Author Topic: Top of head skin discoloration after sunburn  (Read 10356 times)

Offline plavd

• Sly Jr.
Top of head skin discoloration after sunburn
« on: July 09, 2017, 01:53:57 PM »
Im starting to freak out. Back in April I forgot to apply sunscreen for a few hours while vacationing in the Caribbean. When I came back home my head started to peel bad and a scab started to form in this particulr area. Since then this is how the top of my head looks. Hair doesn't grow here so I don't shave in that spot. Am I stuck with this skin discoloration now? Is there anything and I mean anything at all that can be done to help make it look back to normal? I am willing to go to a dermatologist, but maybe I can try something first that was successful for someone else.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 01:57:02 PM by plavd »

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Top of head skin discoloration after sunburn
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 03:44:50 PM »
This is going to sound weird, but I would buy some Aloe Vera and let it sit in the refrigerator for a day or two and then apply it to the affected area. Best of luck to you and hope you don't have to see a dermatologist, but that may be your best bet.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline plavd

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 08:15:15 PM »
Thank you. I bought some today. How will cold Aloe Vera help?

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 01:12:15 AM »
Aloe Vera is used a lot on sunburned skin. The coolness is kind of like spraying ice cold water or rubbing an ice cube. In the future,  I would wear a cap or hat. I must say your head tanned pretty nicely if that was your plan.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline plavd

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 07:16:13 AM »
Thanks, but what if this happened back in April. Can Aloe Vera still help now? Is it something I should use daily after shaving?

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 07:44:46 AM »
My guess is that the sunburn has healed completely by now, but what you are left with is an uneven tan that will fade in time, unless you are still getting sun.  I have noticed that as I age, any tanning I get tends to come in uneven spots now unlike the nice even tans I would get as a young guy.  I see the same thing on my arms in the summer time, even without a sunburn.
SlyBeard

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 09:51:48 AM »
My guess is that the sunburn has healed completely by now, but what you are left with is an uneven tan that will fade in time, unless you are still getting sun.  I have noticed that as I age, any tanning I get tends to come in uneven spots now unlike the nice even tans I would get as a young guy.  I see the same thing on my arms in the summer time, even without a sunburn.

Sly beard is right as you age this uneven tanning is common. This is sun damaged skin which we all get for exposing skin for years. My head is not to bad because I wear a wide brim hat . But my neck has it as well as hands and arms. This is why the dermatologist warn about sun exposure. Sunblock helps some but won't prevent all damage.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline plavd

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 05:17:43 PM »

I peeled off the scab that formed up there when it happened.

Enter your email address: