Author Topic: They say, 'the bald guy. . . '  (Read 17373 times)

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
They say, 'the bald guy. . . '
« on: April 18, 2017, 09:18:04 PM »
How often have you been referred to as 'the bald guy' by someone, who you don't really know, to describe you.

For example, I'm waiting in line for a food order and one gal behind said to another employee, 'that order is for the BALD GUY.' I guess I should feel . . . .

How 'bout you?

Offline Quiet_Dan

• Super Sly
Re: They say, 'the bald guy. . . '
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 02:39:57 AM »
yeah, I have had that, but usually it's "the guy with the big beard" but anyway it's better than "the fat guy" which I will admit it is fairly valid though
God created only a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 05:48:46 AM »
Yep - it happens to me a lot.  I had a co-worker say "you're easy to spot in a crowded room. I just look for your shiny bald head." I guess I'll take that as a compliment.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 06:41:24 AM »
Well, I guess the fact is you are as bald as it gets, and it is just human nature to select an easy trait to describe someone.  ;D

It probably happens to us head shavers more than someone that is bald on top with the fringe of hair. The fact that we choose to shave it all off must open it up for identification as "the bald guy".
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 07:01:03 AM »
I don't mind being referred to as "the bald guy".  First, it's true / accurate and second, I don't think people mean anything malicious by it.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 07:08:43 AM »
I am proud to be known as the bald guy, the bearded guy, or the bald guy with the beard.  Often they have to include the beard, or big beard, because there normally are several bald guys around.  Usually I am the only bald guy with a big beard, which makes me stand out. 

But like Dan - I would rather not be called the fat guy.
SlyBeard

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 11:27:49 AM »
I don't mind being referred to as "the bald guy".  First, it's true / accurate and second, I don't think people mean anything malicious by it.
As I former balding teen, it would bother me when I was younger. Since my confidence grew over the years,  it doesn't bother me at all.

Hell, it's like a badge of honor.  Still I do hear 'TBG' a lot. Seems like every week.

Had my huge Danny Partridge red hair not landed in the bathroom drain, I wonder if they would say, 'this order of for REDS'?  ;)

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 11:28:35 AM »
Doesn't happen to me very much if at all...Most environments I have been in there is at least one other bald guy; I guess that's probably why I've never been called that.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 12:14:25 PM »
Doesn't happen to me very much if at all...Most environments I have been in there is at least one other bald guy; I guess that's probably why I've never been called that.
it's funny. . . I'll not hear it for a while, then I'll hear it all the time. Lately I get it a lot. at my gym, there are 4-5 regulars like me, so I never here it there.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 05:31:29 PM »
it's funny. . . I'll not hear it for a while, then I'll hear it all the time. Lately I get it a lot. at my gym, there are 4-5 regulars like me, so I never here it there.

I get it the same way!  I was just down in Florida for a week and I got it at least four times!  Rarely get it up here in Illinois!

Offline J_Scott

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 02:52:04 PM »
It's definitely a pet peeve of mine, while I totally understand why people do it, it always seemed like a way to reduce a person down to their looks. In the same way don't think it's cool to refer to someone as "blonde chick" or "Korean dude" nust feels very othering. I'm probably sensitive about it because I'm the first of my friends to be bald and in my general social circle, it's still not unusual to walk into a bar or party and be the only bald guy there, even in my late twenties.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 02:59:42 PM by J_Scott »

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 07:15:45 PM »
It's definitely a pet peeve of mine, while I totally understand why people do it, it always seemed like a way to reduce a person down to their looks. In the same way don't think it's cool to refer to someone as "blonde chick" or "Korean dude" nust feels very othering. I'm probably sensitive about it because I'm the first of my friends to be bald and in my general social circle, it's still not unusual to walk into a bar or party and be the only bald guy there, even in my late twenties.
i totally understand that. like you said, it would be crazy to refer to a stranger as the 'Korean dude', 'blode chick', etc. does sound ignorant.

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 08:59:49 PM »
Much to my disappointment, no stranger or colleague has ever referred to me as the bald guy. A few have commented on the shiny bald head (I use HeadBlade gloss, the shinier the better). It's the oversized goatee and handlebar moustache which get mentioned!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2017, 12:16:08 AM »
I don't hear someone call me "the bald guy" often. But I do refer to myself as that often. Especially when I'm using Uber or Lyft and want to let the driver know how to spot me.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 06:39:08 AM »
it happened to me on Saturday.  We pulled our car onto the ferry to head out on vacation and one crew member said to the other, "remind the bald guy to leave his keys in the car."  I didn't take any offense because the guy who said it was sly.