Author Topic: Recently joined a famous wet shaving forum and am already about to call it quits  (Read 1919 times)

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
I am a headshaver but also collect double edge safety razors so after spending some time here on slybaldguys.com I joined a second forum devoted specifically to wet shaving and not just head shaving.  Slybaldguys is a great site and I love being a part of this community.  The other forum on the other hand is like being back in high school! They have the most absurd and lengthy list of "rules" about everything and almost every post I put up is removed or edited simply because I'll mention different websites, like this one for example.  Also anytime I jump into a forum trying to answer and question or give info I'll have a whole group of people come in and tell me how I'm "wrong" which turns into multiple pages of people arguing and nothing getting done.  I'm not rude, I dont participate in arguments, I don't do anything wrong... But these people and this specific forum in speaking of just flat out suck.  I know a lot of members here are members there also so I won't name the forum but I recently read an article on babybuttsmooth.com (that right there is an example of something that would have gotten deleted simply because I said another Website) that refers to this forum I speak of as "sissies & stiffs" and I wholeheartedly agree.

Whew, I feel a little better now

Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Wow...Sorry you had such a bad experience on that forum

One thing I can say about this forum, which has been in existence for more than a decade, is that more often than not, we try to keep an open mind, and that it's ok to agree to disagree on some subjects, as long as it isn't an attack on another member. However, if myself and the other members feel a certain line is crossed, we usually PM the offending members first, and if needed we edit the posts and then explain to the poster the reason for editing. I too, am/was a member of various forums, some of which I took a hiatus or just quit my membership due to too many people with the "my way or the highway" rules, if you know what I mean. But thanks for the heads up.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
It's too bad the forum you're referring to has gotten that way. I had always heard positive things about them and even have an account over there.

I belong to a forum for forum owners and how to keep a forum positive is a topic that is often discussed and many forum owners have a hard time doing. I've actually spoken at a few conferences on the topic because so many forum owners want to emulate what we have at SBG.

Like Harry said, we work to keep an open mind and try to communicate with the poster privately, but sometimes the community will come to the forum's defense if they feel someone is trying to threaten it. I read the post by the Baby Butt Smooth guy, and while is post wasn't posted to cause any trouble, he did commit a major faux paux of forums, and is often stated in the rules, by making an initial post that immediately link to another site, ESPECIALLY if it's your own site.

The proper way to handle it would have been to let the moderators deal with it, but as stated above, the community might get to it first. Then it's up to the moderation team to remind the community to let the moderators handle it next time.

With all that said, I'm super happy to hear that you enjoy the community here. We've worked really hard to keep it as positive as we can be.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
Tyler and sirharry, I appreciate your responses!  I also am a brewer and a drummer so I am part of forums for those as well and they can have those types of moments but as a whole are pretty good.  I think this specific forum we have here at sbg is outstanding.  This community is so nice, supportive, and helpful that it almost makes others look worse by default.  That's it! I'll blame you guys ;) haha

But I just needed to get that off my chest.  I hate to flame others so I just skip out on conversations that go negative there.. Then usually come right back here to smile again!

But for real though, great page Tyler and I look forward to many more years.  I won't let those guys get me down.  I firmly believe that there is always one good apple in every ten and that we are not shaped by the events that happen to us but are shaped by our handling of said events.
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Enter your email address: