Author Topic: Opinions on Open Comb? More specifically the Merkur 985CL open comb travel set  (Read 2922 times)

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
I have, love, and use almost daily a merkur 37c slant.  It has given me the closest and most comfortable shaves of my life (especially on neck).  I also own a standard razors de and a dorco prime tto de, but are great razors in their own way and used often but not as much as my 37c.

I'm really into the idea of an open comb because it seems to be a best of both worlds between slant and straight bar.  I also would really like a travel kit... When in walks the merkur open comb travel set.  As I'm typing this I'm thinking about how I'm probably just going to buy it lol but I still am curious as to opinions on that razor or really open combs in general?  More so, an open comb in relation to a slant.  Keep in Mind i do have thick coarse full hair that even with a 2-3 pass feather/slant shave ill still have visible hair and occasional stubble patches.

I'm highly intrigued by the principal of an open comb.  The teeth spacing allowing hair to remain standing instead of being pushed down by a bar and also not pushing all of your lather out of the way immediately before the blade hits that spot.  In theory that sounds like the best shave you could get?  It also says something that open comb was the industry standard in the early days of de shaving as well as many of the most prized and top performing vintage razors are also open comb.

Sell me on the open comb!

Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air