Author Topic: Had my first Sweeney Todd moment  (Read 5769 times)

Offline Mr. Wiggly

• Sly Jr.
Had my first Sweeney Todd moment
« on: September 11, 2016, 07:05:49 PM »
I have always been fortunate and never cut myself either straight razor shaving my face (pre-beard), or head shaving with a DE.  Today was finally my day.  I guess when I cleaned my Mergress the adjustments got knocked a bit out of whack and my usual setting of #3 was too aggressive.  Cut the sh*t out of my head in a couple places before a big one on the back of my dome when I realized what was up.

It seriously may have me looking at cartridges moving forward....  How long do I need to let the cuts heal before I can shave again?

Offline Mr. Wiggly

• Sly Jr.
Re: Had my first Sweeney Todd moment
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 02:25:33 PM »
78 views and nothing? 

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 03:05:27 PM »
It depends. Usually a head cut should heal within a week. When using safety razors, the key is to take your time. I would keep the area covered while at home, if you don't want to walk out in public with a bandage on your head.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Mr. Wiggly

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 07:24:28 PM »
It was rough man.  Been shaving with no issues using my Mergress on setting 3, never so much as a weeper.  Yesterday was hell.

Going to try at it again next time, only start on setting 2.  We shall see.

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 02:37:49 PM »
Cuts happen but don't give up on the de! You'll heal in a few days to a week and all will be well!  I own a pair of regular hair cutting clippers so if I get a nice cut that prevents me from blade shaving for a few days I'll just hit my head daily with the clippers and no guard.  Not as close as a blade but won't re open your cut allowing it to heal while keeping your head fully shaved in the opinion of most passers by and giving you just enough hair shadow that your head gash wont be as visible while it heals.  Then after a week blade shave your head again and smile as all your co workers comment on how they "just can't put their finger on it but something is different" haha
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline Mr. Wiggly

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 08:04:31 PM »
After a couple weeks of healing, then using a cartridge until my nerves calmed, I finally went back to the DE this week.  Thanks to SlyCatCrossing who sent me a nice little care package, I tried out a Derby blade, and things went well.  Just a weaper or two, but nothing drastic.

I will say, that I never seem to be able to get as smooth from a DE that I can from a Schick Hydro 5, but I plan to keep at it.  I hate the idea of cartridge prices, but it is damn easy to grab a disposable, I won't lie.

Here's to getting better....

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 12:55:13 AM »
I'll be honest, I still pull out my atx with personna twin blade cartridges from time to time.  I prefer the experience and feel of a de but I don't always have the 45+ mins to do a head and face shave with de.  I also still haven't totally gotten perfect technique down with a de for the back of my head.  I am bald by choice and my neck hairs are just as thick as my head hairs so this can be a tricky area to get. 

I've actually found myself reaching for my atx even more since I found these cheap personna twin blade carts.  I still regularly use my de for face but I've noticed my atx in my hand more often for regular daily shower shaves.

At the end of the day I like collecting and using shaving supplies of all sorts.  It's not just grooming for me, it's also a hobby.  With that being said I also sometimes like to get in and get te job done quickly with no fuss and I can confidently say my headblade delivers that every time.  I still am a huge advocate for de shaving though and will continue to use them in regular rotation.

Offline Mr. Wiggly

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 06:45:43 PM »
Today was a good day :).  Thanks to slycatcrossing, I received a nice package of blades and creams to try.  I also recently decided to purchase some grapeseed oil for preshave prep. 

Following the prep, I shaved with a Dorco blade in my Mergress on 3.5 WTG, 2.5 ATG, then 3 for touch ups. 

The result - BBS without a nick.  I'm not sure if it was the oil, the blade, or a combination of both, but it was magnificent.

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 05:19:14 AM »
Those dorco 301s are cool blades. Not the sharpest out there, for me, but they just never cut me or gave me irritation. Myself and my wife both a big fans of dorco products.  Their prime series de kit w/ case and 30 blades is a perfect starter set for new de shavers or perfect for travel.  Their customer service is spot on as well.

Didn't want this to sound like an ad for dorco, I just have had great experience with them.