Author Topic: No going back!  (Read 5347 times)

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
No going back!
« on: June 04, 2016, 12:39:18 PM »
Although I am still trying to get my technique down I am 100% a Safety razor head shaver! I have had the best shaves ever the last 3 times I have used my new Merkur and am really enjoying the shave experience more than ever. Been using the Proraso in the green tube and it works very well. The first time I put it on my head was really a trip! :D I wasn't expecting the tingle from the menthol and it was kind of a shock...in a good way.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
Re: No going back!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 01:15:23 PM »
That's a time, That's a time (to quote Lum n' Abner from old time radio).

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 01:57:54 PM »
Yes, the DE safety razor does a superb job. What I like is you can even use a little pressure and not worry about razor burn. I shaved my head and face over 6 hours ago with my DE, and it's still near BBS.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 06:15:54 PM »
Just an update on my Merkur and my shaving in general. The last two days I have had the best head shaves yet...getting better and getting a bit faster too. I have started wet shaving my face with the DE again....I have used one for years off and on but never used it correctly....getting VERY good results on my face but my neck area is still an issue for me but I'm getting the hang of it. There was another post where someone asked how good a safety razor shave was compared to a cartridge shave.....I shave my head at 4am and get off of work at 4pm so after 12 hours my head has about as much stubble as my electric shaves did after 12 minutes! I start out with near BBS shave...still getting the whole technique down but getting better every shave...and at 4pm my head still looks pretty clean even though there is stubble. Not too bad! I guess I have it pretty bad since I really like the BBS feel and can't wait to shave again as soon as I feel any stubble, but I am trying to be happy with just 1 shave a day.....more or less. ;) I love the look of my new Merkur...I swirl it in alcohol after every use and then wipe it down to keep all the soap scum off of it....I guess I really have it bad but in reality I never used to care about shaving before much less my razor....funny how that first experience changed all that. :/O

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 07:13:05 PM »
Yes, it has to be BBS for me too. Before shaving my head, I hated shaving my face, and only shaved about every 3 days. Now I look forward to my daily shaving routine.

My neck is also the most sensitive. It is the only area that I shave with the grain first, then atg.

What model is your Merkur? I'm considering a purchase.

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 08:20:18 PM »
It's the 34C. I got it off of Amazon when I convinced my wife that I needed to order blades in bulk...which I did....and then convinced her that I needed to get some Proraso , which I did ....can't seem to find any here in Vegas and then convinced her that I really needed to upgrade my razor...at which point she nearly threw me out of the house! :Xo! I love the weight of it and the handle size too. My old Gillette DE has a longer plastic handle and I have found the shorter handle easier to maneuver  around the back of my head.....I don't use a mirror for the back, just by feel.

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 07:51:32 AM »
Really getting good shaves with this razor! I started using my safety razor for my face too and I am getting really good shaves with it, the only area I have issues with is my neck area which is prone to irritation but I have that problem no matter what kind of razor or shave method. My head shaves are getting faster and better on closer too. I am starting to have less and less "trouble" spots as well. The places that were giving me some trouble are getting easier for me to get BBS. Having fun with it as well. :)

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 11:33:57 AM »
I'm glad you're enjoying the bald life! Your skin will get used to shaving in a couple of weeks, and will toughen up some.

After using the Gillette Super Speed my dad gave me when I was 16, I finally ordered the 34c. Can't wait for it to come. Ordered a new brush, too.

I hope your wife didn't kick you out. :-) Just tell her it's a pretty cheap hobby!

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 11:01:17 PM »
I have found that shaving my head and face every morning is a great way for me to get ready for the day. I used to be that guy who never shaved on the weekend or on days off but now I can't stand being unshaven...I just feel scruffy and unclean....so I shave every day now even on the weekends and I love the whole routine and feeling clean afterwards. After I started losing my hair I didn't really put much effort into my daily appearance , just look professional and get out the door but now I love how I look after a shave and it makes me feel like a peacock wanting to strut about showing how confident I feel. Makes me wish I had been shaving my head decades ago.

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 03:16:27 PM »
Awesome success story and thanks for sharing! Recent convert here as well
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Enter your email address: