Author Topic: Beard's Death in 2016!!!  (Read 9610 times)

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
Beard's Death in 2016!!!
« on: February 23, 2016, 01:04:10 PM »
I am so glad I do not give a hoot about being trendy.

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-the-beard-will-die-in-2016-2016-1

"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline SlyMike

• Ad Free VIP
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Big Beard and Bald Head - I love it!
Re: Beard's Death in 2016!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 01:07:55 PM »
They say this every year, that we have reached peak beard or whatever, not that I care either!
First started shaving my head on the 9th October 2014

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 01:44:57 PM »
Does anyone really care?  The only benefit of beards being trendy is that some work locations have re-evaluated and updated their facial hair policies.
SlyBeard

Offline kerryman

• Sly
  • Life is what you make of it
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 01:49:47 PM »
Beards never go out of fashion just less muppets start growing them thank god. This will be good news for guys on this forum  O0 O0 O0 O0 O0
Some men see things as they are and say why ?. I dream things things that never were and ask: why not ??

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 03:52:55 PM »
Whew! Tom, you were scaring me for a minute...I thought you were referring to your own beard.. >:D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 08:35:53 PM by SirHarry225 »
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 04:59:54 PM »
Nope, Harry, I committed to letting the full beard grow out for a year just to satisfy my curiosity for how a yeard will feel and look.

It will just be at the halfway point in few days.

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 12:31:35 AM »
Oh gee the Powers That Be decided beards aren't cool anymore so I better act like a teenager and shave because I wouldn't want to be uncool!

Seriously though, I've seen clickbait stories about the end of beards and goatees since the late 90s.  Goatees are still popular and the only thing that has really diminished them is that a lot of guys have upgraded them to beards.

Beards are timeless.  While hipsters are going them to be cool, most bearded guys aren't hipsters.  I bet the rise in popularity had nothing to do with wanting to be trendy and had to do with guys already wanting to do it and saw so many other guys with then that they decided that if others could do it so could they.  I had a big goatee and was on the mindset that my face just didn't work with a beard, then one night I saw some guys with real beards at a bar and decide dammit I'm gonna give it one more shot, so I did, and this time it worked.  This time I did not cut those aggressive neck and cheek lines, and once it got an inch or so long I was thinking DAMN I have a real beard.

What we are seeing is the end of 2 fads: the shaving fad and the overly-butchered beards (the ones with necklines way up on the cheek) I think a lot of guys have grown full beards and realized that the world didn't end like their wives and employers claimed it world.

You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline J_Scott

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 08:51:17 AM »
Not being a dedicated follower of fashion, I think I'll continue beard on, and let the boys worry about shaving.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 09:38:28 AM »
Very good observation, Rusty, regarding the rise in beard popularity possibly causing guys who already wanted to grow one deciding to go ahead and do it. I suppose the same could be said about the shaved head.

Now, I wonder if those same guys will have the inner will to resist trends and keep the beard they want if they perceive facial hair as no longer being as popular as when they started growing theirs out.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 10:59:47 AM by Cave Dweller »

Offline amatlock2778

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 06:32:12 PM »
To hell with whats trendy. If a particular style suits you, then thats the style you should rock, regardless of if we are talking about beards, hair, body hair, or even clothing. If thats the style an individual likes, well then go for it, man. I dont currently have any facial hair, butbim in the process of growing out a goatee to see if it works for me. Not like i cant shave it back off if i decide i dont like it for some reason.

The only beard style i wish would go away is very long beards. No offence to any members who have beards like that, especially slymike, who i think is one of the few who can pull that style beard off well, but i just plain dont like them, although as is clear by my using slymike as an example, there are exceptions to my dislike of that style

Same goes for a few though who have beards but would probably look better without. Nobody here that ive seen yet fits that bill, but i have seen a few guys around town here where i live who are sly, with beards, but who should probably just go cueball.

But other than that, i think if somebody likes how a particular style looks on them, rock it, dude.
Bald by chioce, never going back

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 07:16:17 PM »

The only beard style i wish would go away is very long beards. No offence to any members who have beards like that, especially slymike, who i think is one of the few who can pull that style beard off well, but i just plain dont like them, although as is clear by my using slymike as an example, there are exceptions to my dislike of that style

Tastes evolve over time. There was a time when I kept mine between 1/8" and 1/4" and anything more than that seemed unmanageably long.   There was also a time when I thought a full beard didn't look right with a shaved head, but as the look became more common, I got used to it and eventually decided to give it a try.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 09:49:00 PM »
Oh (sigh) I am once again behind the style curve.  I usually keep my beard trimmed down to a #1 and my mustache at 1.5.  But just recently I have let my goatee grow out to about 3/4 of an inch!  Wow, am in danger of becoming a "biker dude" look a like?

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2016, 07:13:07 AM »

No offence taken here.  If everyone liked the same beard style we would all look that same.  I know I could never be a beard model, and if you saw my face without one you would likely want me to cover it with something.  I am not trying to please anyone, be part of a fad, or attract anyone with my beard.  Growing a long beard is something I have always wanted to try so I am trying it.  I just don't know when or if I will ever stop trying. 

The same can be said for scalp hair.  I for one, have never liked long hair on a guy, with a few exceptions.  Funny, though, I have always thought the most hated guy's hairstyle, the mullet, looked good on most guys that had one.  I just never had the nerve to try one when I could.
SlyBeard

Offline amatlock2778

• Sly
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2016, 09:07:24 AM »

No offence taken here.  If everyone liked the same beard style we would all look that same.  I know I could never be a beard model, and if you saw my face without one you would likely want me to cover it with something.  I am not trying to please anyone, be part of a fad, or attract anyone with my beard.  Growing a long beard is something I have always wanted to try so I am trying it.  I just don't know when or if I will ever stop trying. 

The same can be said for scalp hair.  I for one, have never liked long hair on a guy, with a few exceptions.  Funny, though, I have always thought the most hated guy's hairstyle, the mullet, looked good on most guys that had one.  I just never had the nerve to try one when I could.

I wouldnt consider your beard to be very long. I was mainly talking about long like the guys in zz top. Very few guys can successfully pull that beard style off in my opinion.

As for long hair, i mainly agree with you other than mullets, thiugh some guys who wear that style do look good, most just look like dorks. I might not have agreed back when i was in high school though . That was in the mid to late 90s, when the shaved sides and long hair on top pulled back into a ponytail was popular. I wanted to get that hair style so bad. But my mother wouldnt allow it. She did agree with me that a lot of the guys who had it looked nice, but she said my hair was too naturally curly to pull it off. And honestly, looking back she was right. Im bald by choice here, and before i shaved, i had a bad habit of going way too long between visits to a barber, and by the time i finally would go, my hair was completely unmanagable. I suspect that may have played a subconscious role in my decision to become bald, with the concious factors being the rough year i had last year, leading to a desire for change, and the fact im beginning to go grey at what i consider too young an age for that, which i didnt want to spend the money on dyeing the grey away.
Bald by chioce, never going back

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2016, 09:17:48 AM »
Quote from: amatlock2778

and the fact im beginning to go grey at what i consider too young an age for that, which i didnt want to spend the money on dyeing the grey away.

You may be in for a rude surprise when you grow your beard out. Beards tend to turn grey before the scalp hair does.  Just sayin'.

Enter your email address: