Author Topic: dress anxities - also fashion challenged  (Read 17558 times)

Offline BikerDave

• Sly Jr.
Re: dress anxities - also fashion challenged
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2010, 12:54:42 AM »
Denim and leather works for me.
If I'd known I was gonna live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.

Offline bubbadave3

• Sly
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2010, 12:51:56 AM »
Check out www.askandyaboutclothes.com

It sounds to me like you need to just wear it and get used to it -- then you won't even realize what you're wearing.

No! No!  Not that!  Actually, when we moved from Idaho from Boston, I got rid of my sports jackets and ties.  Being dressed up here, means wearing jeans and a t-shirt.  Only the Mormons wear suits and ties in North Idaho.
Attitude is everything!

Offline rcg5227

• Sly
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 06:05:30 AM »
At my old job, the dress code was business casual, Monday through Thursday. Business casual was a pair of khaki's or dress pants, but not too fancy, if you get what I mean. A polo or a button down shirt was be fine to wear. A pair of dress shoes, or in the summertime, a good looking pair of sandals would suffice. Some people wore plain black sneakers too. The only men who wore ties were the upper management people and they only wore them if something important was going on that day. I had a retail job in the mall at one time and it was pretty much the same dress code.
Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, We could wear pretty much what we wanted to as long as it had no drug and alcohol references,  no profanity, no obsene, or anything with offensive remarks. You could wear shorts (As long as they weren't extremely short.) jeans, shorts, sneakers, or flip flops. In the summer on the weekends, almost all of the ladies, and a few guys, ( I was one of them  ;D ) worked in barefoot on the weekends. :XX  I eventually transferred out of the call center and into another department and very rarely worked on a Saturday, even then it was 6am-11am or 7am-12pm, or something like that. The same dress code pretty much applied.
I did all of my work clothes shopping and regular clothes shopping, either at Gabriel Brothers, Burlington or TJ Maxx. Also, Value City when it was still in business. Sometimes, I would find barely worn and sometimes the tags still on clothes at secondhand stores. I went to the Salvation Army, which this particular store everything was free, found a pricey pair of Gap Brand khaki pants with tags on them. The price tags, which was still on them, was close to $50. Also, I found another very expensive brand, a Ralph Lauren dress shirt that was barely worn.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/100913/samp9b3884feb623b6eb.jpg[/img] [/url]

---"The greatest action is not conforming to the world's ways."---

Offline jsowens

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2010, 05:58:31 PM »
My comment was mostly tongue-in-cheek, but I think that it's mostly because straight guys generally don't seek out a career as a men's clothing clerk (sort of like hair dressing). There's probably also a hefty psychological component, as you surmised, where boys are brought up to think that "real men" don't care about looks (after all, they'll get wives who will dress them, right?  ::))

There's a lot of accuracy to that statement.  When I was growing up, the extent of my clothing matching was pairing jeans with a shirt.  If it looked ok, I went with it.  These days I consider myself to be fairly savvy with dressing myself nicely and coordinating outfits due to working in a mall clothing store for a couple of years during college.  Not to mention, the ladies seem to dig guys who know how to dress. 

I know this post is on the old side, but my biggest advice is to stroll into a clothing store (not a big box store), pick out a couple of things that catch your eye, then walk up to a cute girl working there and ask her advice on the outfit.  Most of the time they'll steer you in the right direction. 

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2012, 02:43:44 PM »
Well most things suit a bald head depending on  your stature i think . The older guy combats boots and a t shirt are friends . Mine is sports gear mainly but also like me leathers and sometimes do go formal , suit n tie . Its what you feel comfortable in

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2012, 01:57:41 AM »
I find I am more conscious of dressing now that I am sly. At work I am allowed to wear a collared shirt with smart pants. No jeans. Often I will wear a tie just because it sort of finishes off the look. In winter a jacket, collar and tie and smart pants is what I enjoy.

I think a bald man in a suit generally looks good, clean and smart. And somehow black suits, black golf shirts and a great personality just does it for sly guys.

I think its not only about attire, you can wear almost anything reasonable these days and get away with it. But  how you are able to pull the look off, mixed with a super personality is the trick!
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."