Author Topic: 30 Day Rule - Video - Dealing with hair loss  (Read 107630 times)

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: 30 Day Rule - Video
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2010, 07:36:59 PM »
I've no idea, but does head hair grow that rapidly that you need to shave daily in order to keep a good "skin" look?
What if I did every other day?
Not saying much for "low maintenance" ..   :XX

"low maintenance" really doesn't have any signifcant relationship to daily shaving.  Most of us have found that the shave time is our time, personal--not shared--a totally great "man" time.  You may find it so yourself.

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2010, 10:26:29 PM »
I've no idea, but does head hair grow that rapidly that you need to shave daily in order to keep a good "skin" look?
Not saying much for "low maintenance" ..   :XX

Depends on if you want it to stay smooth.  If it doesn't matter your probably OK.  If you get in the habit of daily shaving it's not that big of a hassle.  I don't always have the time to do it daily (though I try).  Skipping a day or two will not void your membership ;D

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2010, 10:27:48 PM »
Not saying much for "low maintenance" ..   :XX

Every head is different.  if I want it smooth (and I definitely do) I shave every morning in the shower.  Come on now, and extra 4-5 minutes a day is hardly "high maintenance"!  ;)

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline phigg

• Sly
  • Show me some skin!
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2010, 11:22:58 AM »
Heh.. true, though I imagined it'd be something of a walk in the park, I guess.  That is, at least, compared to what I do now.  My hair is actually pretty long. I have to blow dry it, then apply the toppik, then use gel on the sides to "thin" them out and feather them back.  It's a lotta work, so.. I guess I'll break even, timewise - as I'd rather keep it all smooth. But at least going sly is a lot less messy than toppik and gel!  8)

Here's a thought:  maybe do the sides daily, the top every other day?  Anyone do that?  I'm pretty thin on top as it is, so that might be a decent compromise if I find myself short on time some mornings.

Anyway, I'm probably derailing the thread, as this is about the 30 day rule.. so I'll move on to another section of the forum with my other questions.
Thanks everyone.
Hair today.. gone tomorrow!  (sorry)

Offline Bilko1

• Super Sly
  • Glad To Be Bald-by-choice
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, 06:56:12 PM »
I have never actually tried doing the thirty-day rule....... I have always kinda shaved off and on & mostly only ever shaved on weekends. Last Monday I made the decision that I wanted to stay bald shaved on a more permanent basis, so I started the process last Monday by shaving smooth. I am now at day 6 & completely smooth. It's a bit of a challenge for me as I have to get up at least an hour earlier in the morning so I can have a good shave before going to work.

On embarking on this 30-day challenge, I have noticed that I am more focussed & more confident. Is this "normal" ?
BaldBill

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2010, 07:03:28 PM »
for me as I have to get up at least an hour earlier in the morning so I can have a good shave before going to work
Your time will get better, and every day as you finish up the scrape of the grape you'll get a positive feeling that will make you want to keep it smooth.  In the final analysis of your life, isn't it better to lose 15 minutes of sleep, to have a smooth great scalp to rub when times get tough at the office?  Yeah, our smooth scalps are a tension relaxer that not everyone notices but us.  I couldn't go to work without my "Linus" smooth dome.

Offline CliffCoultas

• GUITARIST WITH MYSTIQUE
  • Sly Jr.
    • MySpace
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, 01:40:28 AM »
Great video. I will definitely recommend it to any beginner. Confidence yes. Amazing.
Cliff Coultas

Offline Timmer

• Super Sly
  • And it harm none, do what you will.
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2010, 12:33:34 PM »
Code: [Select]

There are periods when I shave every day, there are others where I shave MWF only.  Lately it's been every day because I've just recently gone back to sly after a three year experiment with longer hair after retiring from the Air Force and I really do enjoy the practically meditative state I get into when I shave the noggin. 

My son in law only shaves it sly once a week to save on blades. 

Another guy I know, shaves it once a month.  Clips it down then wet shaves it.  He says keeping it shaved daily is too much work. 

To me and others, it's not work, it's really a pleasure.  I quit drinking, I quit smoking, I really don't have any other vices.  Besides...I make this look GOOD.

But for the daily shaves...don't obsess on a "rough patch."  A lot of the guys here can tell you that 1) No one really notices but you,  and 2) Obsess on it enough and you WILL give yourself one hellacious burn. 
One definition of "surrender" is, "To join the winning side."

Offline BaldWriterBob

• Super Sly
  • Pastor, Author, Musician
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2010, 02:04:38 PM »
It didn't take me 30 days to be comfortable being sly, but now that the time has passed, I am positive I like it. Don't always get it done daily, but I try, and miss it when I can't.

Offline rcg5227

• Sly
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2010, 09:16:44 PM »
My 30 day rule was back in 2006, when I was bald only during the summer months. When I first started shaving my head I razor burned really easily and broke out. I'd stop shaving it for about 2 weeks and let my wife's beautician clipper it all off. Then I would try it again and razor burn it all over again and need to let it grow for another 2 weeks. By the of 2006 when fall was coming, I perfected the way to shave my head. I went to Sally Beauty Supply and bought a shaving cream that wouldn't razor burning me. I started using women's razor's too and a special balm that they used to carry. They also used to carry headblades and accerories for them, but i didn't purchase one. They no longer carry them there.
I shaved my head every summer since 2006 and the summers after that, I would start shaving my head again. I continued to experiment with other products because the products I used were expensive. My wife eventually bought a Gillette Venus and I started using that with a store brand women's gel, or Satin Care shaving cream made by Gillette, which was relatively expensive. The Gillette Venus are not the cheapest cartridges eiither, so we started buying 10 packs of Personna Women's razors. They worked for my face, but my head it was a different story. They caused me to break out and razor burn.
I found another Women's razor at the Dollar Tree that were 3 for $1. They had three blades and decided to give them a try. They worked great. I didn't break out or razor burn. I used them until I recieved my headblade as a birthday gift from my sister-in-law. I the first time I used it I broke out, razor burned, and cuts all over my head. I used it again and had the same result. I was about to not use it anymore, until I put the blade on backwards. I used it with very few cuts and little razor burn. When the cartridge that came with the blade wore out, I purchased store brand Women's Gillette Sensor cartridges. It worked perfectly. No razor burn, no cuts, or irritation. 
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/100913/samp9b3884feb623b6eb.jpg[/img] [/url]

---"The greatest action is not conforming to the world's ways."---

Offline HeadbladerBob

• Sly
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2010, 06:31:26 PM »
If that is not confidence then what is?  I took the challenge and as Warhawk mentioned and our moderator just mentioned and I have never went back to hair
God created only so many beautiful heads, the rest are covered by hair

Offline rcg5227

• Sly
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2010, 11:18:10 PM »
This is a video of me shaving my head. This video was actually taken around the time near my 30 day mark this year .I have changed the way I shave it. I now shave the exact opposite since the recording the video. This was also before I had the headblade and was using a pretty blue and pink razor. I still occasionally use these razors, because do not get irritation an get a great smooth a close shave.   No video, just audio.    

« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 11:41:40 PM by rcg5227 »
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/100913/samp9b3884feb623b6eb.jpg[/img] [/url]

---"The greatest action is not conforming to the world's ways."---

Offline Bilko1

• Super Sly
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2010, 09:48:25 PM »
I fell out of the routine a bit, but now you will be glad to hear that I have now been shaving my head twice a day for the last 26 days. 4 days to go and I think then that I will be used to being a smooth-head for good. Thanks to all you guys for all the tips & useful advice.

You guy's rock !!
BaldBill

Offline Bilko1

• Super Sly
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2011, 06:41:33 PM »
Fell off the 30-day routine again for which I profusely apologise, guys !

Starting over this week. Day 1 will be tomorrow (Wednesday).
BaldBill

Offline Jack21

• Sly
  • Panta Rhei
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2011, 07:27:56 PM »
As you can easily tell I have been REALLY bad lately. First there was a lazy vacation and now too darn tired from being back at work.
A sword unto Gideon and unto God