Author Topic: Head shaving resulting in headaches. Any tips?  (Read 17994 times)

Offline Razors Edge

• Sly Guy in Training
Head shaving resulting in headaches. Any tips?
« on: April 12, 2013, 10:33:59 PM »
I took the plunge to shave my head about 2 1/2 weeks ago, and I am still getting headaches from shaving my head. I have tried using different shaving gels, HeadSlick, different razors, fresh razor, pre-shave oil, shaving after shower, wetting my head with a rag, shaving with the grain (every time, I might add), being extra gentle, different after shave, and STILL, I am getting headaches every time. Why? I know I am probably doing something wrong here, and granted, I know and understand head tenderness is normal for the first few days, but this seems excessive.

Any help or tips?

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Head shaving resulting in headaches. Any tips?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 11:46:57 PM »
Try rubbing your head with an ice cube for several minutes. On a side note, I could be wrong, but I would see a doctor; it could be an underlying medical condition, i.e. hypertension...
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Crowbar

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 11:54:53 PM »
If you are getting actual headaches, it may be just because you are new to head shaving and you maybe tense up when you do it. I had headaches after the first few shaves but then realised one thing I was doing was clenching my jaw as I shaved my head and I was generally being a bit nervous and tense.
and the end of our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time

Offline Razors Edge

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 01:04:17 AM »
Try rubbing your head with an ice cube for several minutes. On a side note, I could be wrong, but I would see a doctor; it could be an underlying medical condition, i.e. hypertension...
Maybe, but my blood pleasure usually falls some where in the 120/70 range, and even at my worst, I have never seen the bottom number go above 82.

With that being said, if this continues for another week or two, I will go to a doctor.

Oh, and I am ONLY suffering from headaches AFTER shaving. Otherwise, before I would only get headaches once a week, if that. More like like once or twice a month.

Otherwise, I do have a question. How resistant or smooth should a head shave be? And could a non-smooth shaving be causing the headaches? Seems a lot rougher than shaving my neck, but than again, I have sparse/thin hair growth on my neck, where as other than a bit of receding hairline, the hair growth on my scalp is still very thick.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 01:36:13 AM by Razors Edge »

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 05:38:49 AM »

Otherwise, I do have a question. How resistant or smooth should a head shave be? And could a non-smooth shaving be causing the headaches? Seems a lot rougher than shaving my neck, but than again, I have sparse/thin hair growth on my neck, where as other than a bit of receding hairline, the hair growth on my scalp is still very thick.
[/quote]

Everyone has their different levels of smoothness and comfort. I've been shaving my head full time for five years and I still am experimenting to see what I can tolerate and what gets my head the smoothest. Head shaving is an ongoing experiment and its different strokes for different folks. In due time, you will find the tools that will get you a smooth and (hopefully) pain-free shave. Good luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 07:19:39 AM »
I've never experienced headaches as a result of head shaving, so it's kind of hard for me to imagine that one would cause the other.  Is it possibly an allergy to your shaving soap or cream?

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 11:28:30 AM »
I have never had headaches from shaving my head either.

Good point Bluebriz. It could be an allergy.

Offline bella

• Sister Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Sister Sly
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 12:52:45 PM »
You might feel silly doing it but try sticking your tongue out during the shave, it will keep you from tensing up.

Otherwise I can't imagine (besides an allergy, as mentioned) what would cause the headaches.

Offline clarinetguy

• BBC and Sly since April 22,2012
  • Super Sly
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 06:28:56 PM »
Welcome to SBG. I have never had a headache from shaving but agree it could be an allergy. Maybe skip a couple of days and see if they stop. Keep us posted.

Offline Razors Edge

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 07:19:57 PM »
I've never experienced headaches as a result of head shaving, so it's kind of hard for me to imagine that one would cause the other.  Is it possibly an allergy to your shaving soap or cream?
I have tried using two different brands of shaving gel, and HeadSlick.

HeadSlick seemed to cause the worst reaction, in terms of skin irritation and bumps, but I only used it once or twice, and I suppose it's possible it could have been the wrong mix with the wrong after shave, or something. I do not know. Oh, and I was getting the headaches, even before trying HeadSlick.

For the record, I stopped shaving my head for a few days before, and the headache does completely go away after a day or two. The headaches are definitely related to shaving my head, whether it be the razor, gel, after shave, or something else. They only happen after shaving my head, and then go away, if I do not shave my head for a couple of days. As I said before, I normally do not get headaches, otherwise.

I am going try using shaving cream next time, and see if there is any change.

Otherwise, I will say I have not tried another brand of razor. Just different series. Mach 3, and proglide. Could the lubricant strip cause a bad reaction?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 07:31:01 PM by Razors Edge »

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 12:55:43 AM »
It's possible I guess.  Try a different razor without the lubricating strip.

Do you have any issues when shaving your face with the same products?

Offline Razors Edge

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 10:24:30 PM »
It's possible I guess.  Try a different razor without the lubricating strip.

Do you have any issues when shaving your face with the same products?
I do not shave my face, but with shaving my neck? Not really.

I will say, with shaving my neck, I seem to get the best results with using baby oil + shaving gel combo, so I am thinking about trying that with my head.

Enter your email address: