Author Topic: Facial hair  (Read 45727 times)

Offline Noner

• I don't go shopping for hats. Hats go shopping for me.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Not a real doctor but would like to play one on TV
    • Nonerville
Re: Facial hair
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2006, 11:05:48 AM »
When I first started shaving I had this wierd "landing strip" from my lip to my chin. It was a hipster thing but when I got a new job they said "grow it or shave it." Since then its been the full go-t.

I actually shaved it for nasal surgery last years ago and it did not look good. I looked my Neo from the Matrix when he is rescued from the slime.

Facial hair is the way to go!

Oh look a picture of me!

Offline Sheeple

• Master Fewl
  • Sly Guy in Training
  • Auld Pic, new to come.
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2006, 11:22:51 AM »
I have been playin with different facial hair looks; did the tee for awile with no complaints.

It seems like most of you guys have settled on the tee in some form or another, but has anyone had significant luck with a full beard or some well cropped, fancy variation?

I'm currently doin the beard, but it hasn't grabbed me by the stones yet and whisked me away to the land of chicks and honey.  :-\
A skilled warrior takes his stand on ground where he cannot lose, but does not overlook the conditions that make his enemy prone to defeat.

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • bald, bold and beautiful
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2006, 12:01:11 PM »
I used to have a chin curtain (or at least I think that's what they call it) and a goatee with moustache (see my picture).

I shaved off the chin curtain and kept the rest.

You can also check out this website for more information and inspiration regarding beards:

http://www.beards.org/styles.php
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2006, 01:21:07 PM »
I think I'm going to try a set of the Mutton Chops.  We'll see how the wife likes that one... :o
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2006, 01:31:21 PM »
  :D Ahoy, Sheeple: I had a goatee in graduate school but proceeded to a full beard, which I wore until very recently, in the 1980s. I wore it because my chin and jawline are sensitive and I got sick of nicks and razor burn. There was nothing like the Mach III Turbo or therapeutic shaving gel back then. On adopting the totallly bald look, in November, I chopped the beard down to the goatee you see in my pic. I may go back, as my facial skin still hates razoring. Girly guys, to use the Governator's term, seldom adopt either facial hair or baldness. Bare heads and bearded chins seem to be a natural adult male combination. Experiment; see what works best for you. And let's see the results. Professor Melon
Embrace the bald truth

Offline David

• the v-train is coming through
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2006, 02:25:11 PM »
I'm growing out a full beard to go with my bald head right now.  It's about 4 weeks in.    If you want to try, the christmas season is the best time because of the break and cold.
bald for life

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2006, 02:29:40 PM »
I'm growing out a full beard to go with my bald head right now.  It's about 4 weeks in.    If you want to try, the christmas season is the best time because of the break and cold.

Make sure you send us a picture of the results once you've arrived at the desired beard length...
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline David

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2006, 03:18:02 PM »

Make sure you send us a picture of the results once you've arrived at the desired beard length...

No problem, right now the moustache and goatee are there, with sideburns but needs to get thicker and connected.     The day I had my head shaved the 1st time "professionally" I knew I was going to grow facial hair with it because I have a baby face.   And at that time I found a beard board where guys discussed beards and growing them and I thought, if I have a baby face what better way to fix it  8)

Plus, it won't be mountain man style(some of those guys go extreme) it will be professional looking to go with my shaved head/glasses combo for hopefully a soon to be teaching position at jh/hs level.

The most interesting I have learned about my facial hair is it is a yellowish blonde for the most part, compared to when I had hair, it was a lot darker.   

You can see the goatee/sideburns/moustache in this pic if you look close:

bald for life

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2006, 03:24:57 PM »
david don't sweat the difference in hair color. when i had hair and sideburns, the color went from light brown on top to reddish at about the top of the ears. i had a 2-tone paint job. whew...... glad those days are over. now the go-t is the reddish color, but not 2-tone.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline David

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2006, 03:28:03 PM »
david don't sweat the difference in hair color. when i had hair and sideburns, the color went from light brown on top to reddish at about the top of the ears. i had a 2-tone paint job. whew...... glad those days are over. now the go-t is the reddish color, but not 2-tone.

It was just interesting when I saw the moustache color the first time, doesn't bother me, especially not with a permanent bald look  8)
bald for life

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2006, 04:15:26 PM »
Ah, the moustache colour...I could go on and on about it.

It's not really evident from my picture (being b/w), but my hair colour is dark brown, and
my moustache and goatee are red!
Some people have suggested I was gay or something (they thought I coloured it).
But the truth is, it's my natural colour, as far as my facial hair is concerned, anyway.

Anyway, David: when having a beard, be careful to groom it properly, otherwise you might
get a slightly "dirty" look - it happens sometimes with some bearded people.
Keep it trimmed, keep it well groomed, and you'll do great...
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2006, 04:21:23 PM »
I'm right there with ya Harry. My natural hair color is dirty blonde/brown. However, my goatee has always been red, very red. People always asked if I colored it. Never have, never will. Even though the wife has spotted some gray, I still won't budge on that front.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline David

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2006, 04:32:12 PM »
Ah, the moustache colour...I could go on and on about it.

It's not really evident from my picture (being b/w), but my hair colour is dark brown, and
my moustache and goatee are red!
Some people have suggested I was gay or something (they thought I coloured it).
But the truth is, it's my natural colour, as far as my facial hair is concerned, anyway.

Anyway, David: when having a beard, be careful to groom it properly, otherwise you might
get a slightly "dirty" look - it happens sometimes with some bearded people.
Keep it trimmed, keep it well groomed, and you'll do great...

Of course, like I said, those guys on beard board are hardcore, ie zz top style almost.   Me, I want a good looking one that I can take with me to a job interview, not something that looks like I should be a lumberjack.

As far as trimming it, the electric cool skin shaver I have has a trimmer for facial hair, so hopefully that will work.   If i'm not comfortable with doing it myself, I know of a really upscale salon that my dad took me to as a kid/teen and they offer beard trimming separately.
bald for life

Offline Sheeple

• Master Fewl
  • Sly Guy in Training
  • Auld Pic, new to come.
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2006, 12:56:16 PM »
I went through the mood tee thing also. My natural hair color is brown, the tone varied depending on my time out in the sun. As I grew my tee out it had shades of blonde and then eventually that viking reddish hue.

As a testament to the progress of my new beard look, the UPS guy hit on me about 30 min ago. Not the kind of attention I was interested in, but I'll never turn down a compliment. :-D

I am keeping it fairly close cropped in order to avoid the dirty mountain man look, if in the end the beard fails, I am movin to chops. Bust out a leather flat cap and embrace the irish appeal.

I'll see if I can dig up some earlier photos for the before and afters.
A skilled warrior takes his stand on ground where he cannot lose, but does not overlook the conditions that make his enemy prone to defeat.

Offline David

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2006, 09:37:57 PM »
Here is the 7 week update on the facial hair.

The 1st/2nd ones show both sides better, but I like all three pics myself.
bald for life