Author Topic: How I got over it...  (Read 46255 times)

Offline TheBaldAndBeautiful

• Sly Jr.
Re: How I got over it...
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 07:31:40 PM »
Great story.  Really like it.  I agree there are more things in life than the hair on top of your head.  I know sometimes I think about the hair and those pictures of me with hair, I quickly forget it and move on.  Somehow we're unique in a way.  Different from the rest.  Trust me, It'd be a boring world if everyone had the same things, hair, or hairstyles, clothing and the such.

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 08:48:07 PM »
Great story and really helps to put everything into perspective.   Like so many have said on this board -- its just hair.  It could be so much worse.  I'm thankful for all the guys on this site and the words of encouragement.   

I hope your friend enjoys a quick recovery and full and rewarding life.   Thank her for helping us with putting life into perspective. 

Offline geoguy

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 03:07:07 AM »
I read this post I think in August'09 and it has kinda stuck in my head.  This post has helped allot and really made quite an impression on me...

Thanx for sharing
If I should wake up tomorrow morning, and all my hair grew back; I'd still shave it all off!!  Thank God I'm Bald!!

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 12:18:17 PM »
Celt, sorry I didn't read your post earlier.  My thoughts and prayers goes to your lady friend.  And yes, you are wise beyound your years.  Your friend may have had cancer, but she is very fortunate to have you behind her. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline kenrh

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 05:10:21 PM »
A great story - thanks for posting.  Of course, all things are relative.  As they say, my headache is far worse than my friends brain tumour simply because it's mine and at many times we view the world very myopically.  I hope your friend is OK and in any case most bald women are just as gorgeous as with hair.

Have a great day.

Ken

Offline HairToday

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2010, 07:47:45 PM »
This is a really great story.  I lost my mom to breast cancer recently.  She was first diagnosed when I was 4, had a mastectomy, again when I was 11, and was in remission until I was 18, when she found out she had stage four metastasized cancer.  She fought it for 4 years, which is almost unheard of.  Even though she stopped chemotherapy towards the end, her hair never grew back.

A few weeks ago when I started freaking out about losing my hair, I felt so guilty because she had lost her hair AND fought cancer, and never showed any signs of weakness on the outside.  I'm glad that I found this site, and that I had the courage on what would have been her birthday to man up and get on with my life.  I've been sort of lost since she died, not really having a father that I was close to and dealing with deep psychological issues going back to childhood, but what she had to deal with really put things in perspective for me, just like your friend's ordeal did for you, it seems.

How's she doing now?
Coolness is having courage, the courage to do what's right

Offline Slick Head

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2011, 06:05:12 AM »
I sincerely hope that everything works out for your friend. She is in my thought and prayers as well as yourself to keep strong for her and supporting her through this.

Offline Ellus

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Embrace it!
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2011, 02:21:20 PM »
Thank you for sharing this great story, it really puts things into perspective!   :)

Offline LAGLE

• Proud To Be Bald By Choice (BBC)
  • Sly
  • Hooah
    • Army Blog
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2012, 10:51:57 PM »
Thanks Ellus for digging this up, AMAZING stroy  O0

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 01:28:17 PM »
you couldn't have said it better Celt, and I really hope your friend pulls through with as few problems as possible, maybe get her to come on her, most, if not all of us appreciate the sly gals, whether its by choice or necessity. I had a similar experience that really made me do it, I am a teacher and one of my students, who is 15 was diagnosed with pretty serious leukaemia, and just like you I though how unfair it was that I was worrying about how much hair I had when she was having to worry about how much life she had left, at 15! We are lucky to be able to choose to shave our heads, and should maybe take a prayer every now and then for those who didn't have a choice.

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2012, 03:47:00 AM »
Great  story  celt and  it shows  your  courage   

Offline Uggg

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2012, 10:35:57 AM »
not much else you can do besides embrace it.

I fake embrace it,  i don't really mean it, but your better off "fake it till u make it" or else you will just put people off.

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2012, 11:40:25 AM »
not much else you can do besides embrace it.

I fake embrace it,  i don't really mean it, but your better off "fake it till u make it" or else you will just put people off.

And now you've been "put off"!   :/O

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2013, 08:51:41 AM »
I don't usually bring old posts back to life, but I was looking for a place to tell my little story, and found this amazing thread.  I think Celt's story really could use a "re-visit", so I will add my story to this thread...

When I was 30, my father died of cancer.  He was 54.  The weird thing is that he had undergone intense radiation to his head  to reduce the size of the inoperable tumors that had invaded his brain.  This was a "secondary" cancer, and the primary source took longer to find.  When they found the source, he was too weak for chemo.  As he waited a few more months to die, his hair grew back.  Even though his hair was short, he died with more hair than I had at the time.  He was not meant to be bald, I guess.  My uncle (Dad's brother) had a hard time losing my Dad, then his wife got breast cancer a few years later.  My Uncle did have some thinning in his hair, but in his late 50's that is not uncommon.  He shaved his head when my Aunt went through chemo, and  has been shaving his head ever since.  These things inspired me to not worry about my balding and take action.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 08:53:18 AM by slymyke »

Marshal S.

Re: Re: How I got over it...
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2013, 10:03:18 AM »
What actions have you taken as a result of these experiences?