Author Topic: Still on the fence?  (Read 131293 times)

Offline kalbo

• Sly Bureau
Re: Still on the fence?
« Reply #120 on: July 25, 2012, 07:53:55 PM »
I also work in finance and it's never been an issue.  Stop making excuses.  You've already spent two years agonizing over this.  Time to do something about it and move on.

Please heed these true words of wisdom.
Mabuhay ang mga kalbo!

Offline dave523

• Still not really used to being a bald dude and nose looks huge since baldness :-(
  • Sly Jr.
  • Result 26 march 2009
« Reply #121 on: July 27, 2012, 07:04:50 PM »
sorry guys about this post. i posted this after a night out and i had too much too drink. I felt sorry for myself and targetted this forum for an outrage. I detest going bald and target this 'very friendly' forum for it. I ask myself: "how can bald guys be this happy and proud about it?" I cannot envision myself as a bald guy. Bald buys look similar in a way.

This site states the 30 day rule, but how do you get yourself to take up the clipper? It is a really big step for me. If i shave it off it probably will be for the rest of my life. Am i prepared to be an bald guy from now on, obviously not. Wish i lost a bet and was forced to shave it all of and deal with the consequences, make it playful. Maybe i should bet on a soccer game.

How can you all feel so comfortable withe a bald dome and i can not?

Take care all, sorry for the raving!

Kind regards, Dave

Thx Razor X for your reply. But i have to say i disagree. I have been lurking around this platform for ages. I stiil hate the fact that my hairdo is fading, i am not a bald guy. Yet life is beating me to it i feel. I work in finance and most of my colleagues support long but groomed hair. Buzzing it would make me feel out of context. Think i need a push to take the plunge, but not sure what that 'push' is????

Maybe ten 'fence' guys recognizing this. Let's collectively take the plunge. I will if ten of those 'sign on' here  O0

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #122 on: July 27, 2012, 07:22:50 PM »
Well Dave, maybe there was a purpose in you reconnecting with the Forum now.

I feel badly that you are so distraught over this. Living a hairfree lifestyle is not the end of the world as you know it.

If you want to explore the issues we're here for you.

So let's cut to the chase.

What do you seriously think is going to happen if you take control and shave your head now versus waiting for mother nature to torturously move your hairline? And more important ... what evidence supports your assumption?

I've always been a happy guy, that's my nature. So it wasn't a big deal for me to shave (Bald By Choice) --- but I am having so much more fun now I wouldn't consider letting my hair grow back. A couple of days ago I had a rare day off from work and didn't shave in the morning and the day got away from me. By evening time I had to shave because I didn't feel like myself.

So, Dave, what's the real issue?
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline dave523

• Still not really used to being a bald dude and nose looks huge since baldness :-(
  • Sly Jr.
  • Result 26 march 2009
« Reply #123 on: July 29, 2012, 07:55:22 PM »
@frontierguy the real problem is that i still am shocked that baldness got me. My friend getting some revenge because of me making fun of their going bald. How people at work will react. Cause i can't imagine myself as a bald guy the rest of his live. So the classic stuff really.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #124 on: July 29, 2012, 08:05:48 PM »
Dave.....I understand your anxiety, you're not the first balding guy to go through the "why me" phase...but life is too short to let anyone or anything (including your hair) dominate your life....Your story makes me think of the grandpa who wanted to go back to college but he was 60 years old....He told his grandson "I can't go back to school, in four years when I finish I'll be 64 years old!" The grandson responded: "And how old will you be in four years if you don't go back to school?"..Same with hairloss....Time isn't standing still and neither is MPB....so, we here instead of moping about what could have been, decided to beat MPB....not let MPB beat us....I'm not saying to go sly, if you are comfortable the way you are great, but hairloss is the last thing a man needs to lose sleep and stop living life over....Good luck to you man, stay strong!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #125 on: July 29, 2012, 09:43:24 PM »
@frontierguy the real problem is that i still am shocked that baldness got me. My friend getting some revenge because of me making fun of their going bald. How people at work will react. Cause i can't imagine myself as a bald guy the rest of his live. So the classic stuff really.

sh*t happens.  And by age 33 you should be mature enough to be able to deal with it.  Earlier you asked:

How can you all feel so comfortable withe a bald dome and i can not?

Answer:  Because we had to.  It's not something any of us has any control over.  It's going to happen whether we want it to or not.  So the choices are:

1) Deal with it, make the best of things and get on with living and more important issues or
2) Continue to obsess over it and let it eat away at us indefinitely.

Which one sounds like a better option to you? 

I first noticed that my hairline was starting to creep back when I was 20 years old.  Like most people, I wasn't thrilled about it but I never felt that it meant my life was coming to a sudden halt.  By my early 30s, my hairline was quite receded and my hair began to thin considerably.  And by then I realized that it really wasn't that big a deal. It did take me longer than it should have to shave my head, but the look still wasn't mainstream at the time, and there weren't any sites like this to turn to for support.  I have yet to hear of a single person report that shaving his head resulted in catastrophic consequences of any kind, so quit making excuses.

The cold hard truth is that you will be bald for the rest of your life,whether you like it or  not.  You can try to disguise the fact with hairpieces, hats or combovers, or you can wear an MPB horseshoe.  Or you can shave your head entirely.  There really aren't any other viable options (and option #1 isn't really a viable option, either).  Find a way to accept what's beyond your control and move on.  You've already wasted too much time and energy on this so-called "problem."

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #126 on: July 30, 2012, 12:53:08 AM »
Hey there Tim

Some wise words have been spoken here.

Stop torturing yourself, take the plunge and just stop caring. You will see how much better you feel.
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline balddaniel

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #127 on: August 09, 2012, 08:56:51 AM »
I agree with the guys it is not worth your time or energy to obsess about hair loss.  I am a very happy guy and BBC I love being bald I give me more confidence.  Everytime I look in a mirror I can't believe how great it looks.  I'm so modest  ;)

Offline BBC56

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #128 on: August 29, 2012, 07:28:32 AM »
Hey, Dave!  I really feel for you - I get a sense of what you are going through and all I can say is that there is an end to the angst.  My first head shave was the result of an accident.  I had a flat top for a long time but my barber retired and I couldn't find another one to do a good flat top.  My first attempt at doing it myself led to an even worse home buzz cut - (cheap clippers!); the only way to even it up was lather and blade.  I loved it!  But I couldn't get used to it for more than 2 weeks at a time.  Like RazorX, I grew it out, shaved it off, over and over.  Finally I made myself go 30 days and it worked!  I got lots of compliments, friends were very supportive, and after 30 days I was so used to it that I never stopped.  Once I got over the hump, I never worried again about how I looked and my confidence soared.  I wish I had done it a long time before I actually took the plunge. 
You won't know how good it feels to be free of your hair and the pressure you are putting on yourself by worrying about losing your hair until you do it.  I can tell that part of you wants to do it and another part of you is worried about doing it.  You need to be whole again.
Go lose a bet! 
By the way, I am truly bald by choice - I have a full head of hair under the chromed dome except for a very small thin area at the crown.  I shaved not because of baldness but because of premature grey hair.  I would rather shave it than dye it.

isleepinthebuff

« Reply #129 on: November 19, 2012, 04:53:03 PM »
Good thread. Be confident! Be who you are!

Offline TxTa2Guy

• Sly Jr.
  • Bald By Choice since August 24, 2009
« Reply #130 on: January 14, 2013, 05:33:05 PM »
Good thread. Be confident! Be who you are!

isleepinthebuff reminded me of another wonderful fact of the bald life: Only a few things, like ______ and ______ (you fill in the blanks for yourself; probably one of yours will be the same as one of everyone elses') feels as great as a freshly shaved BUFF head sliding around on a nice clean pillow!

If you don't believe me, try it for yourself.  I BET you will like it!!!

Offline clarinetguy

• BBC and Sly since April 22,2012
  • Super Sly
« Reply #131 on: January 19, 2013, 06:56:33 PM »
Go for it - I don't know anyone who has regretted it yet. And I agree a smooth head rivals a lot!

Offline dave523

• Sly Jr.
  • Result 26 march 2009
« Reply #132 on: February 01, 2013, 05:21:54 PM »
Has been a long time since i have been on here. And i am probably the proud owner of the Guy-longest-on-the-fence-trophy. Found a hairstyle that worked for my kind of mpb (faux mawhawk). But rain and wind has been an enemy i know too well.

Still feel this genes stuff is humiliating/humbling (no offence to you guys), but that might change. Sunday my indoor soccer team plays against the number two in the league for the indoor season trophy. If we win we get to shave our coach. If we lose the team agreed to go sly. I've proven not to be man enough to decide myself, but i'll submit to this deal.  Still hope we'll win off course. + winning appeals more to being a bald dude. wonder how this will turn out, but whatever happens i made a bet with myself. I will stick to the 30 day rule.

Offline Thebaldnation

• wanting to bring our Bald community closer together
  • Sly
    • ThebaldNation
« Reply #133 on: July 04, 2013, 01:14:36 PM »
Great post Razor X, I totally agree with you, our society puts so much emphasis on hair and telling us that we are missing something if you don't have a full head of hair. For example, look at hair companies (not naming any) that capitalize on men's fears of loosing there hair and say you are less of a man if you don't use our product to get back your youth and your self esteem. Now, I don't speak from experience, I shaved my head by choice and I had very long hair when I made the decision to go sly. But as bald men in our community it is our job to take the high road and welcome our brothers to this site and give them reassurance that they are safe here from ridicule, make them feel safe and show them that they can part of a great group of guys that will make them feel like they belong to a special group of citizens, and may I add a growing group of citizens, we should welcome all of our bald brothers to our group and give them the tools they need to make a positive impact in there community because we are part of a group of men that should hold themselves to a higher standard and show other men and woman that being bald means successful, independent, strong and confident, and this is what It means to be bald in America, and this is what it means to be a Sly Bald Guy, so remember being bald is always a step above perfect.
<!-- Facebook Badge START --><a href="http://www.facebook.com/people/Baldguy-Thebaldnationsbest/1827707468" title="Baldguy Thebaldnationsbest" target="_TOP" style="font-family: &quot;lucida grande&quot;,tahoma,verdana,arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-variant: normal; font-style: normal; font-
[url=http

Offline Emann

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #134 on: December 16, 2013, 11:52:38 PM »
Thanks for the motivation!...Semester is over this week and I don't see any better timing I will shave my head on new years! Its time to renovate myself and stop letting my hairline hold me back. screw the 60 bucks i spent on rogaine..Life is too short to be worrying all the time. 

Enter your email address: