Author Topic: Military retirees to pay higher health premiums  (Read 3108 times)

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
Re: Military retirees to pay higher health premiums
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 08:13:50 AM »
When I retired from police work I started off paying $580 a month. After 4 years my monthly premium had risen to $880 per month. The city sent out a letter that each year, for the next 4 years, the premium would increase by $100 per month until it reached $1280 per month. At this point I picked up health insurance from my employer at the time and dropped the city plan (which was excellent, BTW). For me it was an inconvenience but I knew guys who retired in the late 70s and early 80s who were probably pulling in about $1500 a month by way of their pension. At that point they were literally past the age of being able to work. What were THEY to do?
Is it fair that the gummint does not do all that is necessary to protect the people who have gone overseas time and time again to do their dirty work? The obvious answer is F**K NO! F**K NO it is NOT fair! These people have sacrificed more than any of us can see on the surface for this government and this country. I have some horrid dreams from 20 years on the street, I can't imagine what the dreams are like after experiencing being overrun by the NVA or watching a buddy get vaporized in an Afghan rocket attack. The game players in DC don't know either and it seems that they don't care.
Maybe, when a young person is beginning to make choices as to what to do with his or her life from this point on they will start to look at the military in a different light. Maybe they will see it as a chore that the pols in DC reserve for only the children of others to perform. Can't allow the kids of their wealthy benefactors go, either. "We'll save this for the kids of the middle class and the poor". The old saying "what if they gave a war and nobody came" springs to mind.
I'm sure I did not win any points for patriotism with this post. But some things just gotta be said.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 09:21:10 AM »
I spent 6 years in the Army and I agree with you 100%. Patriotism works both ways. I think a lot of this crap is thought up by people that have never been in the military.

Offline InProgress

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 10:02:44 AM »
Did you read the article? They're raising the rate for healthcare from 230 to 260 dollars per year. That's extremely low. Extremely low. They also haven't raised the rate in 17 years. This is not unfair.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 10:13:09 AM »
Did you read the article? They're raising the rate for healthcare from 230 to 260 dollars per year. That's extremely low. Extremely low. They also haven't raised the rate in 17 years. This is not unfair.

I heard that! That's kinda why I included the part about the city jacking up the costs like they did for police and firemen.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the aldermen who instituted the increase in premiums for retirees get their insurance courtesy of the taxpayer. And they're part-timers!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 10:55:32 AM by buddha »
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 12:58:10 PM »
The Tricare premium increase may not be significant...

But screwing with service members retirement is what worries me.

Currently there is something called a Thrift Savings Plan similar to a 401K, but mess with the 20+ year retirement I believe you will see a lot of quality leave as they feel comfortable around the 10-15 year mark with their TSP or whatever they call it.

Gone will be a lot of quality leadership...the people we needed to stick around for 20-30 years.