Author Topic: retirement requested  (Read 7492 times)

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
retirement requested
« on: September 11, 2009, 12:20:47 PM »
After some debating...key word some...I finally submitted my request to transfer to the Fleet Reserves next June.

Any advice for someone who is looking to become civilianized after 20 years in the Navy?

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: retirement requested
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 03:54:45 PM »
Yeah, be ready to put up with a lot of liberal bull#&!t, political correct crap,  and female bosses that get all pissy when they can't lead.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Arnie

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 08:19:33 PM »
Thanks guys...will look for all the advice I can get...because it is SO APPRECIATED!  I will say, my Veterans Representative has been great and a total saving grace!

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 07:13:10 PM »
Yeah, be ready to put up with a lot of liberal bull#&!t, political correct crap,  and female bosses that get all pissy when they can't lead.
Thanks guys...will look for all the advice I can get...because it is SO APPRECIATED!  I will say, my Veterans Representative has been great and a total saving grace!

Yeah, funny how liberal BS and being politically correct go together "dont want to hurt anyone's feeling's" ( I'll stop there with the rant ), and congrats on retirement and thanks for serving. Get connected with the VA and any other veterans groups in your area. You are now on you're own, stay active, PT/work out don't get all fat and enjoy being a nasty civilian again because you've earned it. O0

Offline Arnie

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 12:34:37 PM »
I sooooo appreciated everyone's continued advice...

...little update...

Looks like it will be approved, here is the latest...

"...REQUEST IS BEING PROCESSED FOR JUNE 30TH, 2010. WE ARE COMPUTING TIME IN SERVICE AND WILL FORWARD THE FINAL AUTHORIZATION MESSAGE AS THE COMPUTATION IS COMPLETE..."

jrppsuobx

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 12:53:08 PM »
Absolutely my sentiments!!!!!!!!! LOL

Offline Arnie

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 03:37:31 PM »
Things are starting to happen fast...I go on terminal leave next month...can't wait!!!

Offline cvasara

• Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 07:10:50 PM »
Well, congratulations, and Thank You for your service.
I do have a few questions and maybe a comment that you might not care for too much.
1- How much time served, do you have over 20 years?
2- How many more years do you have before you can pull full retirement pay?
3- Rank and rate?     Believe me, what you did in is a good start on what you will do, out.
4- How much 'hands on' work did you do in the last few years?
          4A - (Most companies want workers, not persons that want to be in 'management'.
                  if you were enlisted, most all companies, especially small business, wants to
                  have a guy that hasn't forgotten how to work.  ie - get his hands dirty. 

Please don't take that the wrong way,  I certainly don't mean it to be derogatory.

I was just a four year guy, but what I did in the USN is what I do today. 

Good Luck in your new life.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
Ronald Reagan--40th President

Offline Arnie

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 07:30:22 PM »
Thanks, I will have 20 years...I am not going to do a full 24-30...I am a FC Chief(both conventional and AEGIS...I instructed the last 3 years but had a lot of "hands on" precommisioning my last ship before this last tour working hand-in-hand with the engineers and technicians building her.  I do have a job lined up doing similar work(FC/ET), but the date has been pushed to the right so I am looking again as I wanted to be pulling both my Navy paycheck and another one while on terminal leave.

Offline cvasara

• Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 07:50:19 PM »
Gotta love a chief that can get his hands dirty. 
We , 'way back in the day' had one that did, (E8) his nickname was 'pigpen'
I really don't know exactly what an FC is,  I would assume Fire Control Technician.
In this day and age, I would think that would be something worth pursuing out here, with
the way things are in the world today.  IMO,  ET work is pretty good too,  but I might be
just a bit biased. 
I would think, that for just a few more years in there, you would really be set for life.
 Further, I would think that you are holding some good cards in negotiations, for four
more years.  But I do understand the desire to get out while the gettin' is good.   
I felt that same way, and I was only 22.  My signature tells all there is to know about me,  I wear it every day, Proudly.

Again, Good Luck

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
Ronald Reagan--40th President

Offline Arnie

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 06:50:21 PM »
And tomorrow is the big day...I go on terminal leave!!!  It will be a little touch and go with growing the goatee...I still have to follow up on some things during my leave...no one else has a problem with the goatee, except...medical...

Offline Arnie

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 11:08:15 PM »
June 30th was my last day in the Navy...

The transition has gone better than I thought it would...

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 11:20:57 PM »
Get ALL your medical records and ALL your service records no matter how big of a pain it is!  Trust me, if you ever need them for a claim, and if you file a claim you WILL need them, you can not count on the Navy to NOT lose them!

I work for the VA, trust me on this one!  O:O

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 05:54:58 AM »
Yeah what Sarge says, Arnie.  And make sure to get copies from Training of all schools and courses.   These can be really useful for the tight civilian job market.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 06:35:47 AM »
Yep, supposedly all mine burned up in a fire at a facility in St. Louis. Of course you know the Army, Pat Tillman was killed by enemy fire.

Enter your email address: